OP
OP

Joe_T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Country flag
yea, all those changes cost a lot intiallly due to investment and R&D, but should lead to less cost over time per unit. Here’s hoping that’ll translate into lower prices once they collect a bunch of cash. Even if they made the price $10k more than they “need to” (if not 20k), for 250k trucks, that’s 2.5B in free cash. Not bad to get that little infusion when they can.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
On a positive side, i think the price will come down in time, and they are still making the single motor. Unlike most companies, Tesla doesn't try to drive their products "upmarket", and will sell it as cheaply as they can, and drop prices at random times.

Bill W.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model-X
Country flag
You are not alone here. Many of us are in limbo, whether it's from simply not having the funds or from not being able to justify the expense.

This is where a slow ramp-up can work in your favor. The cost of all of Tesla's vehicles eventually came down, sometimes significantly. A wait of a few years may make it work out.

Here's to hoping that you are pleasantly surprised when your configuration e-mail arrives!

WoodChuckDad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram (270K miles), Nissan Rouge, Ford Escape
Occupation
geek
Country flag
Same boat for me. We just built finished building our house....for the last 4 years as we built it, I kept saying I was gonna buy the CT, but material costs increased and blew thru our budget and sucked us into debt to get finished., We moved in 6 months ago. With additional debt hanging over us, and interest rates being outrageous, buying a new 80K truck would endanger our home and farm. I'll just have to love it from afar. Maybe in a few years when my commuter car needs replacing, I will buy a cheaper tesla, but the CT will probably stay out of my reach.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
As a day 1 reservation holder, I am super sad but I had hoped the innovations in design would lead to simplification and thus cost reduction, enabling no more than a 10-15% increase in cost from the Original $49K Dual and the $69K Tri, but with the AWD now being 60% more, at 79K (and still a similar range as originally for the dual), and the Tri motor 43% more, with much less range (or 66% more if you include the range extender)., I just can't afford a vehicle that expensive. I'm going to have to skip order/cancel reservation when it comes up. I"ve made another reservation, in hopes that once they catch up to all the pre-orders/demand (2-6 years) that the price will drop based on improved efficiency. Maybe then I can afford it's closer to $80K with 500mi range, or 60K with 340 range. Sad day for me.
Did you cancel your order? You could have said that you are waiting for the single motor and possibly stayed in the queue.
Yeah.

60k is above the limit for us, so 80k is just insanely above.

Still, I can cheer on others - like I did when my friends were getting Leafs, Bolts, i3s, and Model 3s - I'll just have to wait.

-Crissa
Hopefully the M2 comes to market by 2025. Honestly, other than dropping interest rates I think this is the only thing that will rejuvenate the tesla stock.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I feel you. After 4-years of anticipation we get slammed with huge price hikes.

But someone has to pay for the state of the art steer-by-wire system, RWS, 48-volt architecture, shatter proof glass, stainless steel exterior, etc.

When Elon said the Cybertruck would be stuffed with a lot of new technology he wasn’t kidding. Everything I just listed is exclusive to the Cybertruck and not available on any other pickup truck sold in North America.

Like all Tesla’s the Cybertruck MSRP’s will fluctuate. This is only round 1 of pricing. Many, many more opportunities coming up.

Tesla Cybertruck Too expensive...not going to be able to order after 4 years 1EB5B740-EAF1-4743-BFF9-0376A757A387

Last edited:

bwhntr78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MYP, MY
Country flag
I'm confident pricing will come down. Ford cutting lightning production targets in half is just one more sign that there is a limited market for $80k trucks. The difference between Tesla and Ford is that Tesla historically has chosen to ramp production to cut costs instead of cutting volumes. Hopefully in a couple more years they will have the 4680s figured out and can offer a true long range version at a somewhat affordable price. In the meantime, I just traded my 2018 model 3 for a model Y performance and will keep my old tundra for truck duties. Hopefully the cybertuck will follow the price trajectory that the y has in the last year. Between the price cuts, inventory discounts, tax credit, and the extra 1k for having a cybertuck reservation, I saved about 30k from what it would have been a year ago.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
We purchased our 2021 Model Y Dual Motor for $48,990.

After numerous price increases and price cuts the exact same Model Y is back down to $48,990 but with tons of incremental improvements like a HEPA cabin filter, rear cargo area cover, etc.

Customer demand is a big part of the MSRP equation. With demand off the hook for the Cybertruck I don’t see a price decrease coming anytime soon.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
All this made me look back at my experience with my Model 3.
Stood in line to order (for $1000) before seeing it.
Anyone remember be $35k price tag and all the stuff
Anyone else remember the insane level of unrealistic expectations in the forums - looking at you HUD folks
Once I got to actually order I ended driving away in a $55k car, $20k more than expected.
That just makes the CT release->order price hike about expected ;)

bwhntr78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MYP, MY
Country flag
All this made me look back at my experience with my Model 3.
Stood in line to order (for $1000) before seeing it.
Anyone remember be $35k price tag and all the stuff
Anyone else remember the insane level of unrealistic expectations in the forums - looking at you HUD folks
Once I got to actually order I ended driving away in a $55k car, $20k more than expected.
That just makes the CT release->order price hike about expected ;)
I didn't stand in line, but I did place my order online in the first day or two, and yeah, there are some similarities. But the big difference with the model 3 is that when announced, they just said "starting at $35k". With the cybertruck, they announced different trim levels, ranges, and associated pricing for those options. If they had just said "starting at $40K, and then started with dual or tri motor versions at 50-70k with no option to buy the single motor for a couple years, then it would mirror the 3. My 2018 sticker still reflected the 35k base price, then added multiple thousands for the "premium interior", dual motor, long range battery, etc.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hope by the time they get to me at around 369,420 the price will drop. Hopefully, we will be able to delay taking order indefinitely until they lower prices. If we have to get in the back of the line I'm going to be in a very tough spot.

OP
OP

Joe_T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Country flag
I feel you. After 4-years of anticipation we get slammed with huge price hikes.

But someone has to pay for the state of the art steer-by-wire system, RWS, 48-volt architecture, shatter proof glass, stainless steel exterior, etc.

When Elon said the Cybertruck would be stuffed with a lot of new technology he wasn’t kidding. Everything I just listed is exclusive to the Cybertruck and not available on any other pickup truck sold in North America.

Like all Tesla’s the Cybertruck MSRP’s will fluctuate. This is only round 1 of pricing. Many, many more opportunities coming up.

1EB5B740-EAF1-4743-BFF9-0376A757A387.jpeg
Agree with most but RWS available on Hummer I believe

maaficook

First Name
Maafi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
School Admin
Country flag
As a day 1 reservation holder, I am super sad but I had hoped the innovations in design would lead to simplification and thus cost reduction, enabling no more than a 10-15% increase in cost from the Original $49K Dual and the $69K Tri, but with the AWD now being 60% more, at 79K (and still a similar range as originally for the dual), and the Tri motor 43% more, with much less range (or 66% more if you include the range extender)., I just can't afford a vehicle that expensive. I'm going to have to skip order/cancel reservation when it comes up. I"ve made another reservation, in hopes that once they catch up to all the pre-orders/demand (2-6 years) that the price will drop based on improved efficiency. Maybe then I can afford it's closer to $80K with 500mi range, or 60K with 340 range. Sad day for me.
I feel you. I am going to be my own test case and not jump on the foundation AWD that I was invited to configure. I wonder what will happen if I just let it sit? That's my question, and I will let you all know what happens in real time. I am not in a rush.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's an unfortunate reality for a lot of Cybertruck reservation holders but I think in a way, it's a success story for the truck.

We went from a concept vehicle that was really just a dream. Something that Elon was saying was going to happen even if it was a complete failure. They looked like they were having a bunch of fun making this ... thing and really what we seen at reveal was supposed to basically be what we were getting with no surprises.

I think they were planning to stack the batteries for the range and then it seemed like the rest was just going to be slapped together once they had the equipment and that was it.

But then we loved it. Tesla had over a million reservation holders, even if 80% of them end up canceling, it showed how interested the world was with this dream truck that they had imagined.

And without going any further, I think the truck was going up by at least 10k at the low end and 15-20k at the high end just because of inflation.

But on top of that...they gave us an amazing truck, even as a daily driver. All of the little extras that they threw in, even things we can't really appreciate while using the truck like the 48v architecture. All of it will give the owners the chance to drive the most futuristic vehicle in the world, inside and out.

I will say though. The F150 Lightning is barely more expensive than the 4 door version of the ICE F150 and it seems like the demand is just not quite there.

Do I think the Cybertruck is better? Obviously yes, I'm here. But I do expect the Lightning to outsell the Cybertruck. I think that when truck owners are actually ready to switch to electric, most of them will end up keeping the style that they love and going with the lightning.

While there is a lot of demand for the Cybertruck...I don't think it's going to do amazing at this price and in this economy, and this late since reveal.

We have to expect that a lot of people who put down $100 were people just being hopeful to save up enough, and some can't afford the new prices, and some are just going to cancel because of the current economy being tough, and some upgraded their vehicles in the past 2 years when they couldn't wait any longer, and some might have just changed their mind or decided to go with a different style since there are other options.

Personally I expect to see a price drop of 5-10k sometime between 1-3 years from now. Because if even the Lightning, the electric version of the most popular vehicle in America, doesn't have the demand to increase their production, I don't expect the Cybertruck to do amazing in this economy. It'll probably still take a year or more to get through the guaranteed buyers, since there are a huge amount of reservations even if as many as 80% cancel, but beyond that, it could slow down a lot.
Sponsored