Will the truck come with a full size spare?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You are probably correct since a full size spare would be fairly large.

I really don’t have any idea what is going on under the bed but I wonder if CT1 and CT2 could have more space between the vault cover assembly and this rectangular hole to work with. This is assuming CT3 is using a larger battery pack or a second pack and not a magical more power dense battery. Even if the depth of unused space in CT1 and CT2 is not enough for a spare, I still would like a way to use it.
So I don't think there will be storage between the bed storage and cabin/bed wall. It's just my opinion but the picture below seems like the bed storage is directly behind the rear wheel well, it would be about the right size and shape. any further ahead and you'll be directly above the wheels and between them, the motors.

There is the possibility for storage infront of the rear wheel well that would allow storage down to the top of the battery, but the recent patents that were posted here on the 27th show that the most likely spot for the tonneau cover is rolling up with the cover slightly under the rear seats and slightly under the bed. unless they adjusted the final placement of the cover storage, it seems like there wouldn't be more than a couple inches at the bottom and a few inches at the top. I'm sure some people would probably like even that amount of extra space for maybe a couple extra items but I don't think it would be worth adding an extra door to such a small compartment at the back of a truck bed that most people wouldn't utilize due to having to unload the bed to get to it and climb into the bed to use it.

Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? 1622772236031

Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? 1622772676613
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Cowhands want to know if this truck will come with a full size spare and will we be able to wash the cow-s*%T out of the cab? Practical Gents these men so what say You?
A couple wild thoughts this morning.

1.) With the auto suspension might it be possible to change a tire without a jack? Sure you would probably want some kind of post for safety, but the actual lifting part could probably be done automatically.

2.) Why couldn't somebody design a highway tire with fairly deep grooves. Then when you get off road strap on some sort of strap ons?? using the deep groves and some sort of worm cable screw that runs the circumference of the tire secure them in place. (one in each grove) These would be some sort of foam rubber with a kevlar laminate build up. You could add 1.5 inches to the radius of your tires with deep tread.

They wouldn't be terribly heavy and would lay flat in you bed. Probably not super easy to install but might be an option for some.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
if it doesn't, I'll buy a full size spare on a matching rim and keep it in the vault.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
The best part is no part…the best spare is no spare
I'm honestly surprised by the number of people that don't think a spare is worth it. We don't know if the CT is coming with an onboard compressor. But there are arguments that carrying a compressor and a patch kit are a better option then just carrying a spare? I don't understand that argument at all. If you lose your bead, the patch it doesn't help.

I'd like the CT to have a spare onboard. If it doesn't, then that means I'm taking up a lot of bed space to keep the spare. Due to the tunnel cover (if it's going to be used) the spare would have to lay flat in the bed. What waste of bed space. The truck has 16" of clearance. Most full size trucks have less then 9" the Raptor has about 11" I think. Factory mount that spare under the bed and call it day. Engineer some kind of aero kit around it as necessary if it has an impact on range or noise.

Edit:
I would take a full size spare over that extra storage space in the back underside of the bed. I know that space is not enough for a spare, but if it was eliminated maybe some room could be found.
The truck already has the frunk extra storage that most trucks don't have, along with some potential in the "wings" so I don't see eliminating this space as a downfall, where as I do see not having a spare as a definite down fall.

This is not something that would prevent me from buying, but I would list it as a pretty big concern. I just can't imagine designing a full size truck from the ground up and then not including something that every other competitor includes as standard.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
How expensive would it be to buy a spare tire if you want one? Would that small price make the difference between two completely different vehicles in your purchase matrix? I mean, I don't want the weight of a spare taking up space for, what is for me, nothing. I haven't had a destructively flattened tire since 1990 (In a 1980 Plymouth Horizon which only got the flat because the muffler came off and got stuck in the wheel-well. The tire didn't go flat till I stopped. I suppose the muffler melted a hole in it)... I've had flats but with an onboard air compressor, that should be a quick fix with the CT.

EDIT: I get that people want the CT to come with a space for a full-size spare and that they aren't just complaining about the small cost of the actual spare. My Dad tells about a date he went on where he got 4 separate flat tires... You just don't see flat tires very often with on-road driving. Maybe a safari package with a spare and jerry can full of electrons or something.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
And we thought the Cybertruck was supposed to "Float"! ......What's all this talk about tires, wheels and spares???

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
And we thought the Cybertruck was supposed to "Float"! ......What's all this talk about tires, wheels and spares???
CT has been classified as an amphibious tank.

———————————

Spare/no spare is just mitigating risk. If flat during commute, work remotely from cabin as I wait for roadside services. For my situation, won’t miss a beat.

Driving to Vegas for humanitarian reasons, through a spare in the vault.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
well.....if getting caught out in BFE without a spare and ability to get mobile service maybe a deciding point in some peoples mind....maybe a really good plug kit
Definitely do not go to BFE without a spare! I have been there and nobody is coming to get you. On a side note, one of the suggestions on here i read commented that the adjustable suspension should be able to raised one of the tires to help change it. That would make being stuck out in BFE and having to have a spare in the bed of the truck not feel soo bad.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
not to be a stick in the mud, I am betting no.

my mind is set on purchasing (edit) a spare and keeping in the garage except for distance trips. Commuting will not carry the spare, jack and wrench. Will carry a plug kit at all times.
Having the on board air compressor will be a big plus. I hope that it will reach all the wheels

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Definitely do not go to BFE without a spare! I have been there and nobody is coming to get you. On a side note, one of the suggestions on here i read commented that the adjustable suspension should be able to raised one of the tires to help change it. That would make being stuck out in BFE and having to have a spare in the bed of the truck not feel soo bad.
Not with the airbag suspension. Would be cool

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
boy that would be handy BillyGee :) i always hated those under the bed spares with the rack/lever/lock - they'd get hung up on the dandiest things and drag them down the road after a trip through the back pastures. Take Care sir, we'll get there.
If only this pick up truck had a cargo space of some kind. Possibly one with an easy access gate, maybe even a roll up cover to protect whatever is inside. If only somebody had thought of a bed of sorts for keeping larger items, such as tires, secure.

A boy can dream I guess.
How many pick ups do you see with spares in the bed of the truck. Not many. It has nothing to do with keeping them from getting stolen because mounting and locking are easy enough. Its that truck beds get used often and removing and storing a spare is a pain.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I know its a long shot but I have a hard time believing that the Tesla think tank could collectively decide on producing a truck without a spare. That would be a significant bad move in my opinion. It also looks like there is ample space behind the rear casting under the bed. If this truck comes with a cubby space below the vault floor and doesn't have a spare there instead, I am definitely going to question their thought process. "Lets put this little cubby under the already securable vault". Definitely dumb. I can see myself loading some furniture in and thinking, where is that furniture blanket and tie down, oh yeah, its in that stupid cubby under the floor of my main storage area that just got covered up. Please Mr. Musk, lets leave putting a box in a box to Bezos over at Amazon. People will be hauling and towing stuff and relying on this truck to be a work horse in many situations. The Cybertruck needs a spare tire.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
So I don't see the the Cybertruck coming with a full size spare included. I would recommend going out and buying a full size spare if you want one. As for placement for it, I'm sure there will be no shortage of aftermarket products to attach things such as a full size spare to the Cybertruck. I don't see it being easily stored under the truck, unless you are able to lock the suspesion to never go under a certain height. Inside the bed would be a very easy place to place a full size spare since you have T-Slots along the bottom and tailgate as well as L Tracks that are on each wall. With those built in you could customize the bed in any way you like. I've also seen people discussing the outside of the tailgate, but that would probably require bolting it to the tailgate.

As for washing the inside of the Cybertruck. It's always possible but depending on what the floor is made out of will determine the ease of washing. If the floor is a hard surface with a removeable floor mat, then it will be easy to just remove the mats and hose them down and then use a brush with a good attitude for the floors. If it's Carpeted with a removeable mat, it'll just take a little longer to wash the floors and obviously some time to dry.
I would really hope for the hard surface with floor mats. I don't think anyone who just wants the Cybertruck as a daily driver, road trip, or camping vehicle will lose any comfort if they don't have a fully carpeted floor, and it will make it much easier to clean for anyone using it as a work vehicle.
Carpet really cuts down on noise in the truck though. Maybe some good indoor/outdoor type of carpet like they use on boats would work.
Sponsored