Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Isn't this whole thing pending NHTSA approval? I wonder what the contingency is if this doesn't get a regulatory green flag.
Even if they are still required to install mirrors, they could still have a CMS and wait out the NHTSA's research study. Eventually the NHTSA will have to acknowledge that mirrors just aren't as good as cameras.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Highly doubt any of you will be getting a truly mirrorless ct anytime soon.

If they are just starting research on the concept, it will be years before any regulations are updated to reflect results of that research.

Our first gen ct will have at minimum physical side view mirrors. They need road legal approval by the end of this year, not 5 years from now. And have already stated the design is locked. So they have had to include side view mirrors to get this road legal approval in order to start production in the next year. I can see them getting away with rear view camera/mirror where it defaults to camera but if power fails, the mirror is visible. This way they can say it's a mirror, while still defaulting to full screen instead.

You'll be optimistically waiting for gen 2 or 3 ct before you see them without side view mirrors
Well, the NHTSA took on an ANPRM on the matter and has 2 years to rule on it. Yes, they have reopened the comment period but only on the way they are doing their research and not on whether CMS should be considered as an alternative to mirrors. The NHTSA has been doing research on CMS for several years now and that 2-year period is up before the end of this year. Also, the NHTSA has granted exceptions in the past and might do it again. So, you 'might' be right that CTs might be rigged with mirrors but they might also also have a CMS. There is nothing on God's earth that would restrict them from having one if they have the other, and then it is just a waiting game.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Even if they are still required to install mirrors, they could still have a CMS and wait out the NHTSA's research study. Eventually the NHTSA will have to acknowledge that mirrors just aren't as good as cameras.
Indeed... and I can pull redundant mirrors off myself.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
An article on Electrek references another article on a Korean site that says the Samsung camera deal is for a vehicle that was revealed in November 2019...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are ways to gauge your position and speed by watching forward; this is useful when navigating a narrow stall where the mirror would give you too narrow a view or miss the curb entirely.

-Crissa

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, the NHTSA took on an ANPRM on the matter and has 2 years to rule on it. Yes, they have reopened the comment period but only on the way they are doing their research and not on whether CMS should be considered as an alternative to mirrors. The NHTSA has been doing research on CMS for several years now and that 2-year period is up before the end of this year. Also, the NHTSA has granted exceptions in the past and might do it again. So, you 'might' be right that CTs might be rigged with mirrors but they might also also have a CMS. There is nothing on God's earth that would restrict them from having one if they have the other, and then it is just a waiting game.
Makes me wonder if Tesla has inside or advanced info on NHTSA camera ruling.

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Personally, I'm excited by this news as it means CT production is one step closer! I'd be willing to bet Tesla puts the cameras in expecting to do away with side mirrors, with a plan to produce CT WITH side mirrors. A quick google search shows NHTSA has been exploring this idea since 2019, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility approval gets done by end of year.
The Bolt mirror comments are interesting, but at the risk of sounding like a Tesla fanboi I'll say this:
I expect Tesla to do it better :)

MRTENNANT

First Name
Tray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Tesla CT on Order
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
Does anyone else kinda feel like this does not bode well for any CTs at all this year If they are just penciling this deal? Cameras are a big element of every Tesla and if they are just getting the deal in place for them for the CT....I'm thinking we may be in for an even longer wait then projected, not that I have an issue with the wait.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The design is not "Locked".

Maybe everything else you say is true, but if the NHTSA approves the cameras before launch, there is a good chance they will ship without mirrors. Tesla wants the shipping trucks to have the greatest possible range and getting those mirrors out of the wind will be a top priority to get that range up.
Driving with son who wants to play airplane with his had in the wind, “Do you know how much my range was reduced!”

He will never be the same again.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Does anyone else kinda feel like this does not bode well for any CTs at all this year If they are just penciling this deal? Cameras are a big element of every Tesla and if they are just getting the deal in place for them for the CT....I'm thinking we may be in for an even longer wait then projected, not that I have an issue with the wait.
FSD & auto steer requires the rear facing side cameras regardless. My Model Y has a set even though it has external mirrors. At least I don't think they will have 2 sets of cameras in that position.

Pretty sure the only thing "in play" here was the internal displays and mirrors on the outside of the truck.

This is 5 months from production. It is almost certain Tesla has already tested out the components and they are just getting the contracts in place now that they have a better understanding of start up timing and when to get components delivered for assembly.

MRTENNANT

First Name
Tray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Tesla CT on Order
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
The Cybertruck is going to have cameras, mirrors or no, so this can't delay the truck.

-Crissa
I like the positive attitude, but it can absolutory delay the CT. The deal would be for a lot of cameras, cameras use microchips, Samsung will have to either already have them or get them somewhere, microchips are in short supply...That's all I'm saying. I am hoping for the best but expecting delays and this seems like it has that potential.