azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I am starting to think the rear wheel drive model might become the $35K model 3. Available for a short time and than you have to call Tesla to order
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I first ordered the dual motor model but changed it to the tri-motor after doing more research. The 500-mile range is a game-changer. I live in the Florida Keys and need enough range to get my family and utility trailer to the mainland in case of an evacuation. I estimate the 500-mile range will be cut in half pulling my trailer but that will still get me far enough. I also thought this truck was a joke when it was first reveled, but now I have fallen in love with this thing.
Game changer indeed! That's what convinced me to sign up for the tri-motor. 500 miles is greater range than most gas or diesel powered vehicles, and also makes it easy to plan finding a charger on a road trip.

Which reminds me, chargers are popping up everywhere. Over Thanksgiving I saw one in Deming, NM at a truck stop right off the freeway. Pretty cool.

JohnFender

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Jeep Wrangler 2019 Honda Fit
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Keep in mind that the single motor production will be a lot later than the 2 and 3 motor.

XB12R

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 2 Motor, 2010 Suburban, 2014 Honda CTX1300, 2007 Buell XB12R
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
New improved batteries are coming says the rumor mill. I could live with a single motor long range, but I ordered the dual and I'm still on the fence about upgrading to the trimotor. I never had any problem pulling out of the boat launch with only RWD.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Where I live the ramp part that is submerged is covered with algae and is slicker than goose poop. If your back wheels ever got onto this you would only be saved from slipping into the lake by your front brakes and you would never get out unless towed by another truck on dry land. I would not try to launch or recover a boat with rear wheel only drive at this ramp!

Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
New improved batteries are coming says the rumor mill. I could live with a single motor long range, but I ordered the dual and I'm still on the fence about upgrading to the trimotor. I never had any problem pulling out of the boat launch with only RWD.
I’m with you. I think all of these trucks will see a 50 to 75 mile range increase with the new batteries that are rumored to be on the horizon. I also believe these ranges are conservative. Especially knowing some people will need more range with towing. Well that’s at least my hope. I preorder the dual, only because my wife would kill me if tried to spend 70k on a truck. Lol

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Absolutely. That’s what I think too. 70K is a bit too much for me. All my recently purchased cars are around 50K so far so I am sticking to that number for now. I really hope that with the new batteries the range will go up.
And I do need AWD in some version. I figured that moving into trimotor won’t be a big issue since that would tend to be prioritized somehow.

Psitronx

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda 2010 CRV
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
So I have the dual on order but starting to think hard about the single motor. I live in South Florida so no weather issues that require awd and I won’t be towing ever. Is the 250 mileage plenty even for a road trip that wouldn’t be often? I’m starting to think so but still not totally convinced and I know there is a possibility of the ranges getting pushed higher which would help.
Yes, valid points and you can save $10,000.

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
Actually I Already changed my order to the single motor since it buys me more time since I’m not I’m a rush. If the battery does get more range down the road it’s an easy choice for me.

Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
So I have the dual on order but starting to think hard about the single motor. I live in South Florida so no weather issues that require awd and I won’t be towing ever. Is the 250 mileage plenty even for a road trip that wouldn’t be often? I’m starting to think so but still not totally convinced and I know there is a possibility of the ranges getting pushed higher which would help.
I ordered a single motor and live up north. A gamble certainly but with other 2WD vehicles up here, I’ll take the risk. Besides, the RWD CT will have traction control. And I can alter the order I think once Tesla actually gets around to building the damned things. That and there may be another less costly AWD plug in utility vehicle out there that is better than a Tesla.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A conventional pickup truck with RWD is a piece of garbage up north when the snow falls. But CT will have much better weight distribution making it about as good as any other 2WD vehicle. I'm confident RWD would be totally fine.

Still, range is king. Tri-motor for me.

Ramirobahamon

First Name
Ramiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Rav 4 EV
Occupation
Scientists/Engineer
Country flag
Using the full range signifies that you are inside the vehicle for about 4 hours every day. That is a sad life, if you ask me. What we need is fast charging.

Ramirobahamon

First Name
Ramiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Rav 4 EV
Occupation
Scientists/Engineer
Country flag
I first ordered the dual motor model but changed it to the tri-motor after doing more research. The 500-mile range is a game-changer. I live in the Florida Keys and need enough range to get my family and utility trailer to the mainland in case of an evacuation. I estimate the 500-mile range will be cut in half pulling my trailer but that will still get me far enough. I also thought this truck was a joke when it was first reveled, but now I have fallen in love with this thing.
How many times have you evacuated? Just curious if Is better to evacuate using a boat, instead?

fatcat220

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you never do road trips or have a long commute, then range becomes less of a factor. However....

I bought my Tesla Model S70D in 2015. Since then, I've put 118,000 miles on mine. My work commute is 50 miles round trip. My wife's relatives live near Kansas City, KS - so we or I have road tripped it from the Dallas to KC several times. New, my car had a rated range of 240 miles, which has taken a slight hit over 5 yrs and 118K miles, so I now have a rated range of about 220 miles. I planned on 150-140 miles of real range at freeway speeds and varied weather conditions. Due to battery capacity, I had to stay on main interstate routes that included the 4 superchargers that I needed to get there (or back). I typically charged to 100% before the trip and at 2 of the 4 superchargers. I would pull in to some of the supercharges with 5% range left in my battery (easy to do with Tesla's real-time range estimator). It would take 70-80 minutes to charge from 5%-100%. I didn't mind this type of road trip, since it was free fuel and a comfortable drive - but my wife would rather take her Honda Pilot and chose a shorter, highway route. With the tri-motor CT, I can take her same route, charge once and not have to charge to 100%. This will result in the same trip time as her ICE car. This creates route-freedom that I've never experienced before.

Additionally, it's best to extend the battery life of the car by keeping the battery charged between 30%-70% of capacity. My daily charged is to 80% to make sure I can drive back and forth to work, and out to dinner after (this includes phantom drain during parking time at work). I've rarely experienced "range anxiety" with my car in the 5 years that I've owned it. Charging at home is awesome! But, if I have 500+ mile range, I can easily stay in that 30%-70% charge sweet spot for everything but my longest drive.

Lastly, buying my Model S at the time was a big mental stretch. I'm not a car guy and at the time the 70D cost me as much as my previous 3 cars combined! Yikes! However, I can soon buy a Tesla that cost as much as my 2015 Model S, but is almost twice as quick from 0-60, has more than twice the range, air ride suspension, can carry a crap load more, and is impervious to door dings. The choice of the tri-motor was easy for me. In closing, Need and Want are two different things, but "Want" has won out in my case. :)

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
If you never do road trips or have a long commute, then range becomes less of a factor. However....

I bought my Tesla Model S70D in 2015. Since then, I've put 118,000 miles on mine. My work commute is 50 miles round trip. My wife's relatives live near Kansas City, KS - so we or I have road tripped it from the Dallas to KC several times. New, my car had a rated range of 240 miles, which has taken a slight hit over 5 yrs and 118K miles, so I now have a rated range of about 220 miles. I planned on 150-140 miles of real range at freeway speeds and varied weather conditions. Due to battery capacity, I had to stay on main interstate routes that included the 4 superchargers that I needed to get there (or back). I typically charged to 100% before the trip and at 2 of the 4 superchargers. I would pull in to some of the supercharges with 5% range left in my battery (easy to do with Tesla's real-time range estimator). It would take 70-80 minutes to charge from 5%-100%. I didn't mind this type of road trip, since it was free fuel and a comfortable drive - but my wife would rather take her Honda Pilot and chose a shorter, highway route. With the tri-motor CT, I can take her same route, charge once and not have to charge to 100%. This will result in the same trip time as her ICE car. This creates route-freedom that I've never experienced before.

Additionally, it's best to extend the battery life of the car by keeping the battery charged between 30%-70% of capacity. My daily charged is to 80% to make sure I can drive back and forth to work, and out to dinner after (this includes phantom drain during parking time at work). I've rarely experienced "range anxiety" with my car in the 5 years that I've owned it. Charging at home is awesome! But, if I have 500+ mile range, I can easily stay in that 30%-70% charge sweet spot for everything but my longest drive.

Lastly, buying my Model S at the time was a big mental stretch. I'm not a car guy and at the time the 70D cost me as much as my previous 3 cars combined! Yikes! However, I can soon buy a Tesla that cost as much as my 2015 Model S, but is almost twice as quick from 0-60, has more than twice the range, air ride suspension, can carry a crap load more, and is impervious to door dings. The choice of the tri-motor was easy for me. In closing, Need and Want are two different things, but "Want" has won out in my case. :)
Thank you for the informative response. Your experience helps out a lot!
Sponsored