First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Sounds like for you that’s all that’s needed. Here in Alaska, AWD is needed and my 200 mile commute in winter at -60F Says I need the extra batteries so... 3 motor was a no brainer for me. Also I’m going to actually use it as a truck! Camping/hauling etc...

OP
lslick23

lslick23

First Name
Louis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Sounds like for you that’s all that’s needed. Here in Alaska, AWD is needed and my 200 mile commute in winter at -60F Says I need the extra batteries so... 3 motor was a no brainer for me. Also I’m going to actually use it as a truck! Camping/hauling etc...
Agree! If I had your commute and lived in Alaska tri-motor all the way.

SpaceDoc

Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor Cybertruck, highly modded 2014 Ford Focus SE, dead 1998 4-Runner
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
A conventional pickup truck with RWD is a piece of garbage up north when the snow falls. But CT will have much better weight distribution making it about as good as any other 2WD vehicle. I'm confident RWD would be totally fine.

Still, range is king. Tri-motor for me.
Folks are talking about not needing a tri-motor because they won't be towing anything. This is not really relevant, because the base CT will probably out tow any current pickup truck, so that's not even an issue

And I agree, get a tri-motor for the awesome range! You could charge that bad boy every week or two and still have plenty of range left. And if you had to bug out of town for any reason or go on a long trip, no problem. I live in a hurricane prone region, and evacuations happen. With the 500+ range on a tri-motor I'd sail past folks trying to gas up.

OP
lslick23

lslick23

First Name
Louis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I live in hurricane alley too but our problem is most have to stay since we got no where to go. Thats the problem with South Florida it takes forever to leave the state and only one way out.

cybrtrk_maybe

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra, RAM 1500 promaster, Honda CRV
Occupation
Programmer Analyst
Country flag
It's only 2,000 miles and 30 driving hours from Miami to Colorado Springs. We're in the middle of a blizzard at the moment, but very few tornadoes, and no hurricanes. I'm sure I can find someplace to squeeze your car, truck, camper, airplane... whatever on 5 1/4 acres.

Edit: we did have something called a "bomb cyclone" last year; I never heard of those before. It knocked down a lot of trees and power lines.

Fenestrator

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
Cost was a major factor in my wanting a single motor. The low cost, the size of the truck and the affordable entry port in getting into a Tesla for $40,000 was my impetus. Understanding that a single motor is trouble in snow and ice reminds me that most commercial vehicles are RWD as are vans which are prevalent. They operate in the snow and I have to remember that 30 to 40 years ago, there was snow and we got by with two wheel drive. That and if it’s really snowy, I’m not driving anyway. One final thing to consider that with most 4wd and AWD vehicles only two or even one wheel is delivering thrust.

OP
lslick23

lslick23

First Name
Louis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I‘ve unfortunately been in Colorado Springs for all their early snow storms and let me tell you driving my rental Subaru awd did nothing for the ice that happened after the snowfall.