Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The only reason Quad-Motor would be beneficial would be to provide hyper-efficient torque vectoring. If we were talking about a Rimac Nevera, torque vectoring without sacrificing power by using brakes might be worth the cost/weight/complexity of four motors, but we're talking about a pickup truck. A pickup truck with more than enough power to tow 44,000 lbs! Unless you're planning on using income from your racetrack winnings to pay for your CyberTruck, YOU DON'T NEED FOUR MOTORS!!!
Torque vectoring while rock crawling, or hill climbs in the snow, etc. will never need the maximum torque that any dual-motor CyberTruck can supply. Using the Sensify Brembo Brakes in a Dual-Motor set up should give you all the fine torque control and power you'll ever need.
When the Semi was revealed Elon told us that if the quad motored Semi had two motors fail during a job, two motors would be enough to complete the trip, still with enough power to outperform most diesel tractors. Now perhaps we should account for the possibility that that is only because the Semi would be using carbon wrapped rotors and differently ratioed gearbox that depended on ultra-high RPMs to achieve that torque, we're talking about 82,000 lbs loads. The CyberTruck will never need even a third of that power.
Yes, Elon did say there would be a Quad-motor CyberTruck, but he also said the Semi would have four motors too. When the reality of the capability of the motors becomes clear, Tesla has proven that they will depart from what they originally presented and go only with what is needed.
If they do stick with a Tri-Motor version I feel it will largely be for bragging points and wanting to avoid a bait-and-switch accusation the FUDsters will deploy. Three Model 3 motors will be well suited and sized to provide what the CyberTruck needs in the space available that Rear Wheel Steering will allow. If Tesla releases a Dual-Motor CyberTruck with as much range as the higher trims provide, I will step back from my Tri-Motor reservation to opt for the cheaper version (sink my savings back into $TSLA)
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Unless you're planning on using income from your racetrack winnings to pay for your CyberTruck, YOU DON'T NEED FOUR MOTORS!!!
Correct I do not NEED 4 motors. I do not NEED 2 motors. I do not NEED a Cybertruck. I want a Cybertruck, and I want 4 motors for true torque vectoring.

Although using brakes to attempt to emulate true torque vectoring has gotten pretty good, independent and compete control of each wheel will outperform braking every time.

As I’ve said earlier, the number of motors is not linked to the amount of total power (or torque) available. Having four motors does not mean you have to have more power. Two 500HP motors or four 250HP motors will give you the same total power. Having the four motors will be more expensive than having just two, but I don’t think the cost will be as significant as you’re suggesting (requiring racetrack winnings). I believe the cost of four motors over two will be worth the added benefits of true torque vectoring.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Wanna speculate pricing?

"all" is where my brows go full Elon mode.

No way they got 30 trucks there. Right? I know roughly where they are, the ones they have. Pretty unlikely they have 30 sitting there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing one cold testing before March 1. We don't have much cold time left to test in... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or. They already did that in rural Idaho or something over the last few weeks. The "Cybertruck" tow truck has been missing at Fremont after all.

I never said it had plaid motors.

And Elon tweets a lot of stuff... including that Coca-Cola should have cocait, and that people will live on mars in the1 next decade.

Doesn't mean it's fact.

10 years and Mars with how spacex is doing is very possible!

Tesla Cybertruck 📈 Q4 2022 Tesla Earnings! Cybertruck Production Remains ON TRACK! Status Still Sits at Tooling tenor

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Having the four motors will be more expensive than having just two, but I don’t think the cost will be as significant as you’re suggesting
It may be insignificant to you, or to me, but what about to Tesla? "The best part is not part" and for every $500 "unnecessary" motor that Tesla can eliminate will save them $1B over every 2M vehicles they produce. They've been known to eliminate adjustable passenger lumbar support to save a few bucks per unit. It's the reason the Semi has only three.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
The only reason Quad-Motor would be beneficial would be to provide hyper-efficient torque vectoring. If we were talking about a Rimac Nevera, torque vectoring without sacrificing power by using brakes might be worth the cost/weight/complexity of four motors, but we're talking about a pickup truck. A pickup truck with more than enough power to tow 44,000 lbs! Unless you're planning on using income from your racetrack winnings to pay for your CyberTruck, YOU DON'T NEED FOUR MOTORS!!!
Torque vectoring while rock crawling, or hill climbs in the snow, etc. will never need the maximum torque that any dual-motor CyberTruck can supply. Using the Sensify Brembo Brakes in a Dual-Motor set up should give you all the fine torque control and power you'll ever need.
When the Semi was revealed Elon told us that if the quad motored Semi had two motors fail during a job, two motors would be enough to complete the trip, still with enough power to outperform most diesel tractors. Now perhaps we should account for the possibility that that is only because the Semi would be using carbon wrapped rotors and differently ratioed gearbox that depended on ultra-high RPMs to achieve that torque, we're talking about 82,000 lbs loads. The CyberTruck will never need even a third of that power.
Yes, Elon did say there would be a Quad-motor CyberTruck, but he also said the Semi would have four motors too. When the reality of the capability of the motors becomes clear, Tesla has proven that they will depart from what they originally presented and go only with what is needed.
If they do stick with a Tri-Motor version I feel it will largely be for bragging points and wanting to avoid a bait-and-switch accusation the FUDsters will deploy. Three Model 3 motors will be well suited and sized to provide what the CyberTruck needs in the space available that Rear Wheel Steering will allow. If Tesla releases a Dual-Motor CyberTruck with as much range as the higher trims provide, I will step back from my Tri-Motor reservation to opt for the cheaper version (sink my savings back into $TSLA)
A voice of reason...

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
yep

But its horses for courses. Eliminate what is unnecessary, maybe offer different packages.

Some people want a hamburger with the lot, so give it to them.

If taking out a motor detracts from certain features, well, you may lose a sale to a competitor who has squeezed a living out of the opening you have just created.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
independent and compete control of each wheel will outperform braking every time.

I believe the cost of four motors over two will be worth the added benefits of true torque vectoring.
Braking is different from clutches controlling it, but you dont seem to understand that we are talking about off-road capability and not on-track performance. This thing needs to be reliable and efficient.

I dont think you could be more wrong if you tried on a dare.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
yep

But its horses for courses. Eliminate what is unnecessary, maybe offer different packages.

Some people want a hamburger with the lot, so give it to them.

If taking out a motor detracts from certain features, well, you may lose a sale to a competitor who has squeezed a living out of the opening you have just created.
Not if its faster, more reliable, and costs less...

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Braking is different from clutches controlling it, but you dont seem to understand that we are talking about off-road capability and not on-track performance. This thing needs to be reliable and efficient.

I dont think you could be more wrong if you tried on a dare.
I”m talking about on-road everyday use. Specifically after a large snowfall before or during the time the snow plows are out.

I have never, nor plan to, race on a track. I don’t understand why you keep implying I want four motors for racing. I want four motors for toque vector control of all motors to have the best traction/control of my vehicle in less than idea environments, Mainly snow and ice.

Are you suggesting instead of putting two motors in front, Tesla puts one motor, one differential and a clutch system on each wheel? Are you conflating the Semi’s ability to disconnect motors from the wheels with clutches that can provide slipping to emulate full torque vector control? These questions are not meant to be rhetorical. I truely don’t understand what you are saying.

The way I understand it, the Semi disconnect system is on or off. Connected, or free wheel. No variable torque vectoring performance.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you're number is before 369,420 then you should probably get the raptor. You might not get the CT until 2026 if they even make it. Cancel your reservation and free up the $100 deposit for your raptor.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm very optimistic but there's no way they are selling 60,000 Cybertrucks this year. I think 600 is much closer to reality.
If they start at the end of summer, September 1st, then they have 16 weeks of production ramp. You think they will make an average of 37.5/week?

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think so.

Elon usually over promises.

5,000-10,000 Cybertrucks by Christmas would be the over and under if I were betting.
If they start production September 1st and average 1k/week which is very slow then that's 16k this year. To me any guess below 16k isn't based in any kind of logic and is purely emotional.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
If they start production September 1st and average 1k/week which is very slow then that's 16k this year. To me any guess below 16k isn't based in any kind of logic and is purely emotional.
We shall see.
Timelines have moved so many times over the last couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised.
The big picture is we will finish 2023 with not 150,000 Cybertrucks, or 100,000 or 50,000 but fewer than Rivian builds. Whether that is 20,000 or 15,000 or sub 10,000.

I just hope for everyone waiting, that Tesla can produce 150,000 in 2024.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If you're number is before 369,420 then you should probably get the raptor. You might not get the CT until 2026 if they even make it. Cancel your reservation and free up the $100 deposit for your raptor.
if they even make it???

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I have never, nor plan to, race on a track. I don’t understand why you keep implying I want four motors for racing. I want four motors for toque vector control of all motors to have the best traction/control of my vehicle in less than idea environments, Mainly snow and ice.
The reason that track use is the logical conclusion to reach based on your contention that four motors is a beneficial requirement for optimal torque vectoring, is that the only drawbacks to using brakes for torque vectoring is that brakes decrease the power of the motors and is therefore slowing you down. I'll grant you that that is a fact, but one that only comes into play when the full power of the motors is being used. Aside from POSSIBLY Baja or Dakar style off road racing, off roading the CyberTruck will NEVER make full use of the power of even two motors.

There will never be an instance off roading your CyberTruck when braked torque vectoring will affect your performance in the least.
Sponsored