HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I suppose a true 400-mile range (not some 60% BS value of 240 miles in warm weather), if it includes some cargo and towing capacity, would be something to consider, but to my recollection Tesla never said anything about a 400-mile trim. Did I miss that announcement?

the problem with comparing an M3 or MY (or any Tesla sedan) to the Cybertruck is that they are used differently. The truck will be used hard by people that don’t pamper their vehicles and every spec has to hold up. I do not think that Tesla will be anything but proud but they won’t get it with a 300-mile truck that only gets 180 miles per charge on a regular basis.
Correct, Tesla has never mentioned a possible 400-mile range Cybertruck. However, if memory serves me, I think Elon did mention that the release version specs might not be the same as anticipated. Since this is from memory, I can't cite a specific source.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Correct, Tesla has never mentioned a possible 400-mile range Cybertruck. However, if memory serves me, I think Elon did mention that the release version specs might not be the same as anticipated. Since this is from memory, I can't cite a specific source.

He said the PRICE would not be the reveal, NOT the specifications.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh, I also want the 500+ mile trim Cybertruck to be the release version. But my opinion that it probably won't be, is not about what I want, it's about what I see as most likely. I think the 500-mile version will most likely be in late 2024-2025. That's not going to stop me from buying the release version and waiting for the 500-mile version.
I also see the possibility that initially there will not be the 4680 chemistry available that allows 500+ mile range. So this presents two challenges (at least to me) - 1) am I willing to go for less range ; 2) if I am ok with whatever range is and purchase when available, then if I later decide it is not acceptable and opt to purchase a second CT with 500+ range, I will be years away from getting it and it will cost at least $8k more ($15k or more for fsd minus the $7k when I made the reservation).
Now that I have written that down, given my age I think that puts a thumb on the scale in my decision process. I guess fingers crossed is all I can do to aid my wishful thinking. Hah!
Paul

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
My absolute bottom line demands from my CYBERTRUCK are that I can get at least 150 miles of real world (even in the mountains) range, while towing a 9k lb. Airstream between charges. I was feeling really confident with the 500 mile Tri-motor version, but the whisperings of 400 miles of promised range lately has me biting my nails. I think reducing range expectations to 1/3 of the advertised non-towing range gives a prudent safety margin for trip planning. I would hate to write off large sections of WY, ID, and MT just because I can't make it between Casper and Sheridan WY, Boise to Twin Falls ID, or Billings to Miles City MT SuperChargers. These three are in the 135-150 miles range apart, so it's important that I be able to reach them on travel days.

As to the remote stretches between interstate highway routes aren't as much a concern for me. I won't be in a rush on the backroads, won't mind an overnight(s) stop to recharge at a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park isn't a deal breaker. Every green spot on the map is a worthwhile destination to explore.

I'd settle for a 400 mile range truck if the range estimates are more true to life than current Tesla range estimates. I don't think there are any Tesla owners who expect anywhere near the advertised range out of their car on even an intown trip, much less a road trip. My "223 mile" SR+ Model 3 starts yelling at me if I ask for a destination 180 miles away without SuperChargers. Granted, I make it and I know can, I do it with a light load and in favorable weather conditions.

I really want the 500... 😬

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
My absolute bottom line demands from my CYBERTRUCK are that I can get at least 150 miles of real world (even in the mountains) range, while towing a 9k lb. Airstream between charges. I was feeling really confident with the 500 mile Tri-motor version, but the whisperings of 400 miles of promised range lately has me biting my nails. I think reducing range expectations to 1/3 of the advertised non-towing range gives a prudent safety margin for trip planning. I would hate to write off large sections of WY, ID, and MT just because I can't make it between Casper and Sheridan WY, Boise to Twin Falls ID, or Billings to Miles City MT SuperChargers. These three are in the 135-150 miles range apart, so it's important that I be able to reach them on travel days.

As to the remote stretches between interstate highway routes aren't as much a concern for me. I won't be in a rush on the backroads, won't mind an overnight(s) stop to recharge at a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park isn't a deal breaker. Every green spot on the map is a worthwhile destination to explore.

I'd settle for a 400 mile range truck if the range estimates are more true to life than current Tesla range estimates. I don't think there are any Tesla owners who expect anywhere near the advertised range out of their car on even an intown trip, much less a road trip. My "223 mile" SR+ Model 3 starts yelling at me if I ask for a destination 180 miles away without SuperChargers. Granted, I make it and I know can, I do it with a light load and in favorable weather conditions.

I really want the 500... 😬
We were impressed with the Supercharger coverage and location choices in 2018 when we bought our first Tesla (even though there were some locations we wanted to go that were outside the range of the Supercharger network). But the network has grown substantially since then.

Don't under-estimate the future growth of the Supercharger network because Tesla is always expanding its reach. Here's a quarter-by-quarter chart of Supercharger growth:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Q1 2023 Earnings Report; Cybertruck Status Maintains "Tooling" Status, Pilot Production Line Photos Shown! 📸 1682951254618
You can see that it's a steepening curve (it would be even steeper if charted on an annual basis). Last year the network grew by about 33% and Tesla has announced plans to roughly double it this year. Of course, none of this guarantees that Tesla will put a Supercharger right where YOU want it for maximum convenience, but it's important to keep in mind the rate at which coverage is still expanding.

If every manufacturer was doing as much as Tesla is doing in terms of building DC fast chargers, we would already have ubiquitous coverage. Instead, they are building effectively zero, leaving Tesla or for-profit third-party companies to do it all.

Of all the manufacturers, why do they force Tesla to shoulder this capital expense all by themselves, while simultaneously claiming their goals are to win the EV race? It makes no sense.
Sponsored