thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
"Caresoft has begun its benchmarking teardown of the Tesla Cybertruck and invited Autoline in to see the first stages of the process. Terry Woychowski, the president of the company, points out some of the highlights of the 4-wheel steer-by-wire system, the 48 volt connectors, the battery pack, the gigacastings and other castings that are used through the vehicle."

At the end of the day, first is first.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kpanda17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
Love these geek out videos of the innards of the CT

Treynor

First Name
Treynor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
President
Country flag
Im a bit spoiled with Munro. I could watch him for hours. Terry is very knowledgeable and has decades of experience but not the best guy to have in front of the camera. I found myself fast forwarding many times.
that being said, I’m looking forward to the NEXT tear down vid. Even is Terry is the host.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
"Caresoft has begun its benchmarking teardown of the Tesla Cybertruck and invited Autoline in to see the first stages of the process. Terry Woychowski, the president of the company, points out some of the highlights of the 4-wheel steer-by-wire system, the 48 volt connectors, the battery pack, the gigacastings and other castings that are used through the vehicle."
<snip>​
At the end of the day, first is first.
That guy was an eloquent / excellent communicator. Watched at x1.5 speed.

Re: two motors/actuators on the steering ... I thought I recalled they were both used but one could take over in an emergency backup situation. This was in a Munro video?

It was kind of "funny" at ~9:50 when he was talking about how the steering system is so very carefully designed so it can not be screwed up when assembled.

Reminded me of this "tiny" screw up:
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating 2023 Model Y SUVs after two reports of the steering wheel falling off while driving. Both vehicles were delivered missing a bolt that attaches the steering wheel, and both incidents occurred at low vehicle mileage. The investigation could include about 120,000 vehicles."​
Tesla Cybertruck 1st Cybertruck teardown video! … and it’s not Sandy Munro (by Caresoft instead) png-image-png-

Image via: Cybertruck Engineering Innovations - Great Summary | Tesla Cybertruck Forum - News, Discussions, Community - Cybertruckownersclub.com

Last edited:

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I find these things fascinating. I kinda don’t want them to tear it down so all their secrets don’t get out, but at the same time I am curious.

My take away is that they are providing “feedback” in the steering to simulate a traditional set up. Maybe I will get an update to get rid of the increased vibration in the steering wheel at 80 mph.

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
Sandy was not so charming in his first episode either…

you gotta start somewhere

Im a bit spoiled with Munro. I could watch him for hours. Terry is very knowledgeable and has decades of experience but not the best guy to have in front of the camera. I found myself fast forwarding many times.
that being said, I’m looking forward to the NEXT tear down vid. Even is Terry is the host.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Competition is good.

Maybe next time Sandy and them will work a little faster lol

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
18:45 they observed on their truck (other side that camera was on) that the rear door hing (w/scalloped out area) was incorrectly using the front door hing that didn't allow the 90 degree swing. Installers using wrong parts.

We have seen other reports of CTs having this problem.

Tesla Cybertruck 1st Cybertruck teardown video! … and it’s not Sandy Munro (by Caresoft instead) RPxwEWv

Link to time in video where it was discussed:

Last edited:
OP
OP

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
Re: two motors/actuators on the steering ... I thought I recalled they were both used but one could take over in an emergency backup situation. This was in a Munro video?
I don't remember where I heard it (I've watched WAY too many CT videos) but I do remember the second steering motor is for redundancy if one fails. But (and again I can't remember where I heard this) the truck gives you a short mileage to pull over before it stops running. Like five miles or something, the intent being that you can't just drive around with one motor indefinitely, but it would be unsafe for the vehicle to suddenly stop.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were automated braking when both motors fail, like when Kyle from Out of Spec towed the CT faster than walking pace.

It was cool to see the force feedback motor. I was aware from other videos that it exists to provide road feel. I wonder how good it is, since a big complaint with electric power steering is lack of road feel as compared with hydraulic power steering. But theoretically if you are detecting road feel and pushing it through force feedback, you could make it as good as anything else out there. I don't know the practical limits of it though.

OP
OP

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
18:45 they observed on their truck (other side that camera was on) that the rear door hing (w/scalloped out area) was incorrectly using the front door hing that didn't allow the 90 degree swing. Installers using wrong parts.

We have seen other reports of CTs having this problem.
Yeah I thought it was interesting that Tesla didn't dummy proof it. Since you'd be able to fit the scalloped hinges up front (since the mounts are interchangeable), I wonder what keeps them from doing it. Could be a cool ("cool") and easy mod to have 90 degree front door opening.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Related to the video and a lot on SbW -- See this informative video that I've posted before:
that has excellent graphics.