Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I read where Tesla will receive stainless steel from Steel Dynamics in Sinton, TX and treat it when it arrives to Austin.

From Teslarati;

“Interestingly enough, Tesla has stated in the past that the steel which would be used for the Cybertruck would have some unique touches. Judge Krebs’ previous statements about Steel Dynamics’ TX Plant hinted at this, as he noted that Tesla would be “redoing” the steel from the Sinton plant to create its all-electric pickup. This suggests that Tesla is being particularly careful about the Cybertruck’s secrets, especially those that involve the vehicle’s exoskeleton and body”
Sponsored

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I read where Tesla will receive stainless steel from Steel Dynamics in Sinton, TX and treat it when it arrives to Austin.

From Teslarati;

“Interestingly enough, Tesla has stated in the past that the steel which would be used for the Cybertruck would have some unique touches. Judge Krebs’ previous statements about Steel Dynamics’ TX Plant hinted at this, as he noted that Tesla would be “redoing” the steel from the Sinton plant to create its all-electric pickup. This suggests that Tesla is being particularly careful about the Cybertruck’s secrets, especially those that involve the vehicle’s exoskeleton and body”
Yes I heard very similar in a video today. Makes me think Tesla is going to make sure it’s top notch stainless.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

From Teslarati;

"redoing" could be the cold-rolling of NON-cold-rolled stainless steel.

Maybe Tesla Austin will receive NON-cold-rolled stainless steel as giant spools, then Austin plant takes the spools of NON-cold-rolled, cold rolls the steel into continuous flat ribbon of cold-rolled stainless steel, then cuts the steel ribbon into Cybertruck sized flat sheets of cold-rolled stainless steel.

Last edited:

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
"redoing" could be the cold-rolling of NON-cold-rolled stainless steel.

Maybe Tesla Austin will receive NON-cold-rolled stainless steel as giant spools, then Austin plant takes the spools of NON-cold-rolled, cold rolls the steel into continuous flat ribbon of cold-rolled stainless steel, then cuts the steel ribbon into Cybertruck sized flat sheets of cold-rolled stainless steel.
A flat blank for the body or body components are likely too wide to ship. So will the mill ship extra wide coils (annealed) and then have the rollers at Austin to flatten and cold work? Perhaps they will also have the graining processes, passivating and perhaps electrofinishing to remove the surface Iron (reduces rust staining)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You know you won't be able to resist those long straight Fla roads.......
I'm thinking the alligators on alligator alley better be ready to run.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
...and then have the rollers at Austin to flatten and cold work?
Wasn't one of the main reasons to go with stainless steel to cut the cost and factory floor space needed to paint it? Wouldn't adding steel processing equipment negate those savings?

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
A flat blank for the body or body components are likely too wide to ship. So will the mill ship extra wide coils (annealed) and then have the rollers at Austin to flatten and cold work? Perhaps they will also have the graining processes, passivating and perhaps electrofinishing to remove the surface Iron (reduces rust staining)

The problem with passivating and electro finishing is time and space required. Probably as bad as painting. Getting closer to 316 and 317 higher molybdenum content for better corrosion resistance is more expensive but may reduce the need for additional processing.like passivating which could take 2hours of submerging in acid baths. They are well aware of all of this and a new type of stainless may be coming for the CT.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Wasn't one of the main reasons to go with stainless steel to cut the cost and factory floor space needed to paint it? Wouldn't adding steel processing equipment negate those savings?
Not so much space but, time and cost to paint the colors offered.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Space is not the biggest issues with paint shop.
The biggest issues are
Time to dry which drastically slows production
cleanliness of environment & painted surface needed to get quality paint job.
air & water pollution

Doing cold rolling at Austin is very fast compared to painting.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The problem with passivating and electro finishing is time and space required. ...
Stamped, welded metal also needs to be dip finished before final assembly. That's why it's body in white, not body in raw metal. It's even more steps and air control to make a nice paint finish.

-Crissa

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think I assumed that the entire outside surface was going to be origami. Upon reviewing photos I now have changed my thinking.

The CT appears to use multiple external "cosmetic" panels attached to stamped internal framing. This body will attach to the castings/structural battery.

So this means that the flat, half hard, 30x sheets could be shipped.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The CT appears to use multiple external "cosmetic" panels attached to stamped internal framing. This body will attach to the castings/structural battery.
The Cybertruck external panels are not "cosmetic".

The exterior panels form a structural exoskeleton. That is why the panels are 3mm thick instead of the more standard 1 mm or less. You would not use 3mm cold rolled stainless steel for "cosmetic".

You still need some steel to form interior space and that is the curved stuff you see in the pictures. The interior space might be thin stamped steel.

Sandy Munro has video where he talks about the Cybertruck 3mm cold rolled stainless steel exoskeleton + structural battery + front/rear aluminum casting and how it should allow Cybertruck to be stronger than F-150 but weigh less than F-150.

OP
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

The exterior panels form a structural exoskeleton. That is why the panels are 3mm thick instead of the more standard 1 mm or less.

You still need some steel to form interior space and that is the curved stuff you see in the pictures. The interior space might be thin stamped steel.

Sandy Munro has video where he talks about the Cybertruck 3mm cold rolled stainless steel exoskelton and how it should allow Cybertruck to be stronger than F-150 but weigh less than F-150.
Actually, I think the external panels are cosmetic and structural at the same time. Cosmetic, because it's beautiful, structural, because it's part of the exo.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

The exterior panels form a structural exoskeleton. That is why the panels are 3mm thick instead of the more standard 1 mm or less. You would not use 3mm cold rolled stainless steel for "cosmetic".

Sandy Munro has video where he talks about the Cybertruck 3mm cold rolled stainless steel exoskeleton + structural battery + front/rear aluminum casting and how it should allow Cybertruck to be stronger than F-150 but weigh less than F-150.
I agree that the dozen or so exterior panels are both cosmetic and structural but structurally they are attached to an internally stamped/welded frame as we have seen in that Tesla photo.

What does NOT appear to be the case is that the skin of the CT is one folded "origami" piece of 3-4mm SS.
There are front and rear quarter panels, 4 door panels, trim above doors, hood, front bumper (one-3 pieces?), rear gate (multiple pieces) and a vault assembly (multiple pieces). None of these pieces appear to have any bends greater than ~30 degrees.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What does NOT appear to be the case is that the skin of the CT is one folded "origami" piece of 3-4mm SS.
There are front and rear quarter panels, 4 door panels, trim above doors, hood, front bumper (one-3 pieces?), rear gate (multiple pieces) and a vault assembly (multiple pieces). None of these pieces appear to have any bends greater than ~30 degrees.
The panels have to attach to the rest of them, and that's probably where the tighter folds are.

It'll be interesting to see where they are; the edges could be folded over to provide tube shapes to mount hinges and each other to.

-Crissa
Sponsored