cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Nope. Drawing a straight line from our point of view the the long rectangular object in the wiring diagram, the object is either on the point of the top of the vehicle, or in front of the driver. The camera/rear view mirror that you are highlighting is a foot or two down the glass. The driver when seated can not see the "peak" of the vehicle.

Actually, if you look at the zoomed in version Paradox just posted, it's explicit that this piece of electronics is in the dash in front of the driver, whatever it is.
I can close one eye and see just how you see it.

And if I do, I believe the smaller red item forward of the larger red item, is lined up and on the same angle. Which if so, would suggest it’s not the windshield cameras, but instead something on the dash in front of the driver?

And if-so if-so, would be consisted with HUD?

But given the good catch by @Paradox above regarding the graphic’s location of the wiper, I suppose it’s a reminder that nothing directly suggests this is an accurate reflection of the current vehicle. And indeed it also appears to show a full length tail light bar (not apparent on investor day unit), or no apparent kit for adjustable suspension (which appears to be on the investor day unit).

Could instead be a prior iteration where a driver display (or HUD) was in the mix.

Thanks for the clarifications and edu-mu-cations!
Sponsored

MEWoodsMFG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Chrysler Town & Country
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
The bottom line? 6-more months of waiting until production starts:(
That's okay, we are coming down the home stretch. We are seeing real progress. Imagine if the pandemic had not happened.

Last edited:

MEWoodsMFG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Here is the Model 3 image for comparison.
48v low voltage 2023 Investor Day - YouTube.jpg

9jJXUjw.jpg
I like like speculating, but I would be that these drawings don't represent every electrical thing in the car, as it would turn into a cluttered mess. Also, the model 3 doesn't seem to have a center screen?
Here is the Model 3 image for comparison.
48v low voltage 2023 Investor Day - YouTube.jpg

9jJXUjw.jpg
I would bet that these drawings don't represent every electrical thing in the car, as it would turn into a cluttered mess to look at. Also, the model 3 doesn't seem to have a center screen in the drawing, or is it me?

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was very happy when I saw this image during the presentation. Things confirmed or hinted:

- Rear display confirmed (also confirmed via interior pictures)
- Brake and/or steer by wire and/or air suspension confirmed (see red module at each wheel)

Also, why are there 3 red modules by the tailgate? One for safety sensors, one for trailer hitch, and one for??? Makes me think there is something interesting going on at the rear.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I really hope there isn't a 48V battery. There's already a huge traction battery and voltage regulators can easily drop the voltage to 48V. What purpose would a separate battery serve?
To run the starter motor! How else do you expect to get ignition? LOL.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Makes me think there is something interesting going on at the rear.
There is always something interesting going on at the rear. We are genetically programmed to be interested in whatever is going on at the rear.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This has been discussed ad nauseam on these electric cars (ie. not just Tesla) for over a decade.. They don't want to keep the high-voltage battery contacts open continuously.

Google search: why is there a 12v battery in an electric car
https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+there+a+12v+battery+in+an+electric+car
It's more that batteries have a secret weapon: They don't care how many amps you draw. Especially lithium batteries. As long as you're inside their temperature range, they don't care.

DC-DC boards, on the other hand do care. Alot. They're super-inefficient outside a narrow range. It's best to have them sized exactly for the job and no larger (and they can't be smaller) and turn them off when you don't need them sucking power doing nothing.

So you use the DC-DC to charge a battery, and then use that battery for the long tail and peaks.

-Crissa

MEWoodsMFG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Something I just noticed in this image: Is that the windshield wiper mounted at the center base of the windshield? I guess at one point it was a consideration?

ABEA7F79-C84A-47F9-93E9-4346FE0CD453.jpeg
It could be the electromagnetic wiper from the patent application?
Maybe the BAW is just a place holder?

Tesla Cybertruck 48v Battery for Cybertruck! Tesla-Windshield-Wiper-2

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Probably just a save point in the modeling when they wanted to pull assets for the wiring diagram.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Re-watched the bit about 48v wiring and it’s much bigger than just the difference between wire sizes and voltage. They are replacing the entire wiring harness with a network and delivering the whole system of power and data in one wire. Each local controller talks to the network.

Huge change beyond just wire size. Wiring harnesses are expensive, difficult to install, hard to change, and difficult to troubleshoot. Their new ethernet based setup can be installed by robots, can be changed just by attaching a new endpoint, and they can plug into any part of the car and see where a problem is (essentially). Hopefully they open this up to hacking because the potential is massive.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
Why isn't there a Thumbs Down and an Informative and Helpful button on this board? Just hitting Like for everything seems unhelpful and Amazing Sad and Angry isn't useful to anyone

why are there 3 red modules by the tailgate? One for safety sensors, one for trailer hitch, and one for??? Makes me think there is something interesting going on at the rear.
The thing going on at the rear of the CT is probably the 240v inverter output or the compressor plug

Will be interested to see if they include a 12v output that is powerful enough to drive a winch, maybe jumpstart another car. Lots of 12v accessories out there they'll need to make custom CT 48v versions of.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why isn't there a Thumbs Down and an Informative and Helpful button on this board? Just hitting Like for everything seems unhelpful and Amazing Sad and Angry isn't useful to anyone
Likely same reason the media button which gets used a bunch is buried under a drop down while the ability to change font sizes is an icon in the editor. The admins set up the forum software and kept the defaults.

@Administrator I don’t suppose you could add an “Informative” icon to the reaction emojis and maybe move the media embed into the main editor bar?
Sponsored