Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Range is king. We have treaded over this territory enough times ... fast charge times 'are' important, but as @Ogre and @TBONO mentioned, the large the range the more useful the truck will be and the better the charging rate. Just imagine pulling up to a 1MW charger and being able to charge at that rate for even 10 minutes!
What about vehicle to home or grid, better have a big pack unless Tesla remove the feature.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Ahh, right.

Thanks. I had to drop from his Patreon because he was sharing some bigoted memes.

Anyhow, my point was there's no reason to think Panasonic won't have the same troubles Tesla did in making the 4680, and have to take time to learn how to apply the chemistry to a larger cell. See 8:30 in the video.

-Crissa
They use a wet process for the anode and cathode so they won't encounter the same troubles as Tesla, should be the same as their other cells chemistry wise. Anyway if Panasonic is able to produce higher energy density cells earlier than Tesla that's good not a negative.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
That's not true. The trimotor page displayed it the same way the single motor page displayed it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/V579ya1XRqTD6bCx7

That wasn't the only place 500+ was mentioned. And didn't always say "up to".
https://images.app.goo.gl/FHz3heD7iLeZZqSQ6

Tesla has sent mixed messages about this issue from the start, because stating "up to" a number gives a ceiling, adding the + afterwards makes it confusing because the + isn't defined.

Like the linked photo. That photo tells me I'll get at least 500 miles of range (assumed based on some level of epa standard...driving 55, not towing, not fully loaded, but under ideal circumstances I could expect at least 500 miles).

And then there were those gui pics that showed a 610 number. Some (not me) think that number was also an indication of range.
Lawyer language for future lawsuit.

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
I must confess, I don’t use my truck for hauling that much. I hunt and fish, so I fill up the truck bed when I do that, but I never feel comfortable that my gear won’t be stolen because I detest truck caps, crawling back inside to grab something…. I’m too old to be doing that. I like the CT because of the rolling vault, and the fact that it can tilt down. Other than that, I drive my truck around on roads, and basically the bed of the truck is like an empty suitcase. I don’t think I’m alone there. I enjoy trucks, and I when I need to do truck type things in it, I’m glad to have it. Apparently my family likes it too because whenever they move… they call me first.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Who needs a long range battery when a rapid charge battery is a better solution? It would be smaller and lighter.
Wish it was that simple.

Someday it might be, but it isn't yet.

Battery management is part of the issue. If you only have 350 miles of max range, for example, and you never charge more than 80%, and never go below 10%, it cuts the range quite a bit.

And in my opinion, and my opinion only, EVs have to be designed with the assumption the customer WONT be able to charge at home. Something like 55-60% of the US population does not have the option of charging at home. We can't build EVs just for the 40%ers.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Exactly. 300 miles might suffice for some people, but for many it won't. Especially if it is your only vehicle. Or you live in an apartment, or condo, or townhome, or rental property. You will not be charging at home.

300 mile EV trucks may be fine for 30% of the population? (or pick your own #).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What about vehicle to home or grid, better have a big pack unless Tesla remove the feature.
Tesla doesn’t support V2G and has been vocal about not doing it … so far.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In any case, that Solar Vault is for me the 'Game Charger' especially when in Outback Australia
The funny thing is, my point was fixated on driving a month without having to charge. After posting that I had calculated 15 extra per week... it should have been per day.

The 60 extra miles, should read 420 or whatever sun it gets. It is significant.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The funny thing is, my point was fixated on driving a month without having to charge. After posting that I had calculated 15 extra per week... it should have been per day.

The 60 extra miles, should read 420 or whatever sun it gets. It is significant.
We haven’t heard a peep about that for ages but it can’t hurt to hope. Game changer? That sounds big.
Sponsored