Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries this Year

May 7, 2020

In 2021, Tesla has a lot to be excited about and one of those major things is Giga Texas. The progress of construction is stunning and the succession of individual parts continues to shape the huge monolithic building that will be home to the production of Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck, and Semi.

Model Y production rates at the company's Fremont and Shanghai plant continue to improve rapidly, with the two new factories in Berlin and Texas making tremendous progress. While the main factory construction in Germany is almost complete, there is still a lot to do in Texas. Nevertheless, the professionalism of the builders and the hospitality of the state contribute to the very high speed of construction, and it seems that production here can start even faster than in Giga Berlin, the construction of which began several months earlier.

The construction progress of Giga Texas gives the company real confidence that production will begin this year. In its Q1 2021 Earnings Report, the company said it remains on track to launch production and deliveries later this year. In addition to the fact that most of the building already seems to be finished, Tesla has begun moving in equipment and is now in the process of putting it into operation.

In the Casting area, the installation of components for two Giga Presses continues. The paint shop Retox System will also be installed soon. Wall sheathing continues along the perimeter of the building, which seems to have already made a lot of progress. It is noticeable that more wall panels are being installed and the first loading docks are taking shape. In addition, workers are already placing samples of windows.

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 3_2dd652e9-13d3-47c0-bca1-af2ac45fe94c_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 4_13f7f814-c731-4b4c-8716-58d8b6a98fb3_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 5_43593e73-fd0f-4c95-b40f-0b52ec4a8bb3_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 6_8e3134f4-5218-4e15-9df2-1eb54fc01ee7_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 7_9f993f43-7307-4b19-9546-28912a3e78c9_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 9_734c5ccd-9bf0-479d-beb8-a99d65b4e970_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 10_574c20f9-6cbe-4146-90bb-a44b35e62978_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 11_6cb106ed-22fb-4a1b-aede-e983454b6f8b_600x600

Tesla Cybertruck Article: Tesla Giga Texas on Track to Launch Production & Deliveries This Year 15_92766839-a894-4a8b-97fc-1b6474fcbf76_600x600
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
What is the source of that article? I watch the construction videos a few times per week, and there is NO part of that building that would be considered close to finished. Yes they're working at an amazing pace. But as Elon has said. "If we're lucky we may get some production by the end of 2021". As far as moving in equipment. That is exactly what needs to be done. During construction while you have easy access you bring in massive equipment that would be a nightmare to try and move in after walls go up and access becomes very limited.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What is the source of that article? I watch the construction videos a few times per week, and there is NO part of that building that would be considered close to finished. Yes they're working at an amazing pace. But as Elon has said. "If we're lucky we may get some production by the end of 2021". As far as moving in equipment. That is exactly what needs to be done. During construction while you have easy access you bring in massive equipment that would be a nightmare to try and move in after walls go up and access becomes very limited.
They built Model Ys in a tent my friend, what makes you think that they need a pretty, sparkly building to make cars? We know that they were testing the die casting machine, and they could have the paint shop functional as soon as the fancy air filtering system is in place. The stamping area has had equipment and cranes for months now. For Model Ys I’d say they are a cell factory away from being ready. They can bring in motors, seats, suspension, monitors, etc. from elsewhere until other parts of the factory are there is nothing wrong with playing it safe and being a pessimist, but it isn’t necessarily warranted.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
They built Model Ys in a tent my friend, what makes you think that they need a pretty, sparkly building to make cars? We know that they were testing the die casting machine, and they could have the paint shop functional as soon as the fancy air filtering system is in place. The stamping area has had equipment and cranes for months now. For Model Ys I’d say they are a cell factory away from being ready. They can bring in motors, seats, suspension, monitors, etc. from elsewhere until other parts of the factory are there is nothing wrong with playing it safe and being a pessimist, but it isn’t necessarily warranted.
I would like to be wrong and have the pleasure of seeing Tesla produce cars out of this facility in a couple of months. I don't have much faith in that particular article. It is impressive to see how fast the steel structures of buildings go up, but there's a lot more to construction than building the shell of a building. Just seeing how many vehicles there are in those lots and all the infrastructure behind the scenes is pretty amazing.
I really do hope I'm wrong, but man that's a large complex, with a massive amount of work to be done still.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would like to be wrong and have the pleasure of seeing Tesla produce cars out of this facility in a couple of months.
Well, they do have much of the Y line in there, all those robots went in. But it takes months once they've started to dial everything in. And we have eight more months including this one for them to work in. There will definitely be something out before the end of the year. This is Tesla.

Will they be models they can sell? Well... Who knows? They need more batteries.

-Crissa

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Is this the "first substantial completion" we were told would be on may first?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would like to be wrong and have the pleasure of seeing Tesla produce cars out of this facility in a couple of months. I don't have much faith in that particular article. It is impressive to see how fast the steel structures of buildings go up, but there's a lot more to construction than building the shell of a building. Just seeing how many vehicles there are in those lots and all the infrastructure behind the scenes is pretty amazing.
I really do hope I'm wrong, but man that's a large complex, with a massive amount of work to be done still.
I agree with you there and I don’t trust articles on the web, or YouTube videos, or whatever, and the number of cars we see parked at the site, even on lousy-weather days, shows a hive of activity on the inside. I also waver from day to day between hopeful, positive, anxious, worried, etc. it’s the lack of real information in an information world I think, and the sheer duration of the wait, and the anticipated joy of the result...sometimes it is just too much you know? We’ll see of course but building cars in a tent...it makes you think twice about the traditional automobile factory.

NCCyberTruck

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor Cyber Truck, 3500 Dodge Ram
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Looks like it's coming along nicely! Read another article talking about how quickly construction was moving and it seems that everything is moving along well. I'm ready to go camping in my CT!!

Cyberpark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
Looks like it's coming along nicely! Read another article talking about how quickly construction was moving and it seems that everything is moving along well. I'm ready to go camping in my CT!!
Did you buy Cyberland ?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
And several large sections have been completely enclosed for awhile.

-Crissa
I was more wondering if this has helped us glean what Tesla means by that for future giga factories.
Sponsored