Automatic tailgate lowering? Or just a latch button?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Was looking back over some old material and came across this in a video.
Tesla Cybertruck Automatic tailgate lowering? Or just a latch button? Tesla Tonneau Buttons

Looking at the 3 symbols, I am assuming the 2 triangle symbols on the rectangle button are for opening/closing the tonneau. Then there is the triangle button. This looks like a button for the tailgate. The symbol on the button almost makes me think the tailgate is motorized. But with a single button, I'm guessing that the button actually only acts as a latch release for the tailgate that is then lowered by hand (assuming you don't just let it free-fall).

Anyway, here is the video.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a latch, the whole motif of the CT seems to be very spartan. However, it would be wise to put something as heavy as a ramp in there with some kind of assist spring to help raise and lower it.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a latch, the whole motif of the CT seems to be very spartan. However, it would be wise to put something as heavy as a ramp in there with some kind of assist spring to help raise and lower it.
One thing I was thinking though is that since there is a triangle button on each side, they must be electronically linked so that when you hit one button it unlatches both sides. Otherwise, you would need 2 people to unlatch the tailgate. If they are electronically linked, then maybe you can unlatch them with your phone much like the doors. And I wonder how easily you might pinch your fingers when closing the tailgate with something like the CyberLander in there.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
In the patient papers that were leaked that showed the CT UI. I believe there was a button on screen for LiftGate. Wonder if it is the same as those in the rear.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
One thing I was thinking though is that since there is a triangle button on each side, they must be electronically linked so that when you hit one button it unlatches both sides. Otherwise, you would need 2 people to unlatch the tailgate. If they are electronically linked, then maybe you can unlatch them with your phone much like the doors. And I wonder how easily you might pinch your fingers when closing the tailgate with something like the CyberLander in there.
They don't need to be linked electronically to allow them to work. A simple engineering design could allow the latch to be released from either side. Think of it like a door handle, most door handles can be turned to the left or right and still open a door. It's most likely they will just both connect to the same latch to release whether you press the left one, right one, or both at the same time.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
In the patient papers that were leaked that showed the CT UI. I believe there was a button on screen for LiftGate. Wonder if it is the same as those in the rear.
That's correct.

I posted about this. The patent papers list a powered tailgate as a "may include" in the UI. So, not to say its for certain, but the patent clearly indicates that it's been included in the UI.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
They don't need to be linked electronically to allow them to work. A simple engineering design could allow the latch to be released from either side. Think of it like a door handle, most door handles can be turned to the left or right and still open a door. It's most likely they will just both connect to the same latch to release whether you press the left one, right one, or both at the same time.
You could do it mechanically with steel cables, but the Tesla way is to do it electronically.
The butthole is electronically latched, why not the tailgate?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You could do it mechanically with steel cables, but the Tesla way is to do it electronically.
The butthole is electronically latched, why not the tailgate?
Tesla brought out automatic doors on the Model X but not on any other models. They probably found it unnecessary. It's definitely possible that we might see an automatic tail gate, but i'm not too worried about it.

When it comes to a work truck, the less things that have the ability to fail is better for me. I checked out a thread for the Chevy powered tailgate and a lot of people have had issues with their tailgates.

If they add it, i kind of hope it's an option. I wouldn't really want it for any reason.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Tesla brought out automatic doors on the Model X but not on any other models. They probably found it unnecessary. It's definitely possible that we might see an automatic tail gate, but i'm not too worried about it.

When it comes to a work truck, the less things that have the ability to fail is better for me. I checked out a thread for the Chevy powered tailgate and a lot of people have had issues with their tailgates.

If they add it, i kind of hope it's an option. I wouldn't really want it for any reason.
We weren't talking about motorized tailgate at that point, just are the buttons an electronic latch or a mechanical latch. All Tesla doors are electronic latched. you can unlock your model 3 from an app.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
We weren't talking about motorized tailgate at that point, just are the buttons an electronic latch or a mechanical latch. All Tesla doors are electronic latched. you can unlock your model 3 from an app.
Oh I see what you are trying to say. A picture from the Tesla Gallery makes it easier to picture.

Since the buttons are on the actual top of the sides of the beds and not the tailgate itself, It does seem like electronic latches will be necessary. Tesla could instead put the button on the the other side of the gap so it's on the tailgate, then the botton on either side could unlatch both sides.

As for locking it, i'm sure Tesla will just have it so when the truck is unlocked or locked, the tailgate will be as well. So if you walk up with your phone in your pocket, it should unlock automatically.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
IMO from using my tailgate on a 08 F250 vs 17 Tundra the need for an assist on the tailgate is a must. The weight of the F250 gate would slam down if you didn't help it down. The assist on a Tundra was very nice to have. With a CT gate and the ramp inside, the weight would dictate the need to be powered or assisted gate to make it easy for us old timers to operate it easily. Anxiously waiting.
Sponsored