Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation Series
Occupation
Global Security
Country flag
Good post and thanks for looking out for the rest of us. I hope to get my CT sometime in June or July so can't wait to have these worries in my life. lol
Sponsored

CactusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, and Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
Thanks for sharing! I just ordered mine. I'm glad to know if was only $650, hopefully not more.
Did you order an extra bumper already? 😀 Now that's planning!

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY LR, R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
When showing off the ability for my CT to raise and lower in my garage (tight fit where I back in to a few inches of the wall) a piece of scrap wood behind the truck at just the right height tipped under the back bumper. While the suspension was lowering to entry height we heard a loud pop and the truck dropped as did my stomach. Apparently it was held up by the piece of wood bearing the weight of the truck until the piece of wood released.

To my heartbreaking dismay, my 3 week old truck suffered the damage shown in the picture below.

PLEASE note when stopped or parking that make sure to have plenty of clearance under the truck and bumpers to allow for the truck possibly lowering automatically. I can envision it getting hung on many curbs, etc.

I've put in a ticket for service and will update when I know more. The initial estimated repair is around $650 which is less than I feared but also fear that when they replace the plastic parts more may be found underneath.

(Please don't trash me too much for my stupidity. My wife and I have already given me all of the punishment I can bear)

1712182907964-g0.png
This will be resolved by a simple OTA software update. My Rivians also have active air suspensions that would do that but Rivian has since updated the software and would not automatically lowered the vehicle to kneel mode under certain suspension settings to prevent this from happening. Occasionally, the air suspensions do act up like in this case, it did a Carolina squat on me 😂

Tesla Cybertruck PSA: Be Careful With Air Suspension Automatic Lowering! Have clearance under truck & bumpers - to prevent damage like this 20240127_150346

Tesla Cybertruck PSA: Be Careful With Air Suspension Automatic Lowering! Have clearance under truck & bumpers - to prevent damage like this 20240127_150426

Last edited:

OP
OP
Scribbious

Scribbious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Cybertruck Previous: 2020 MY 2018 M3
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Country flag
What size garage do you have?
The Cybertruck plus about 2 feet more.... But, I hadn't cleared all the way to the back. Will be clearing and adding indicators to target and leave some wiggle room.

BengalBoy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper GTS and 1995 Ford Bronco XLT
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
So sorry for your incident. I've done damage to my toy in the garage by inattention as well. Your not the only one. However, you'll get it fixed. It will look as new. Lesson learned. Thanks for sharing with us and congrats on *owning* a CyberTruck! :)

Edster808

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rangerover, saturn sky
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cautionary information makes it bearable in the back of the line, although we are grateful for those that share unfortunate experiences so we can avoid the heartbreak. I find members of this forum compassionate and encouraging, not to say envious to those who have. Thank you

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck plus about 2 feet more.... But, I hadn't cleared all the way to the back. Will be clearing and adding indicators to target and leave some wiggle room.
Thanks for sharing this. It's something to keep in mind that a lot of us would have missed.

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model s, model y , cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
When showing off the ability for my CT to raise and lower in my garage (tight fit where I back in to a few inches of the wall) a piece of scrap wood behind the truck at just the right height tipped under the back bumper. While the suspension was lowering to entry height we heard a loud pop and the truck dropped as did my stomach. Apparently it was held up by the piece of wood bearing the weight of the truck until the piece of wood released.

To my heartbreaking dismay, my 3 week old truck suffered the damage shown in the picture below.

PLEASE note when stopped or parking that make sure to have plenty of clearance under the truck and bumpers to allow for the truck possibly lowering automatically. I can envision it getting hung on many curbs, etc.

I've put in a ticket for service and will update when I know more. The initial estimated repair is around $650 which is less than I feared but also fear that when they replace the plastic parts more may be found underneath.

(Please don't trash me too much for my stupidity. My wife and I have already given me all of the punishment I can bear)

1712182907964-g0.png
Thanks for sharing I'm glad I'm not the only one same thing happened to me but in the front tire guard when close to a bump stop beware the automatic suspension lowers and can crush those covers in the front ! I heard strange noise and aborted the lowering did not cause
damage but could have.

Bill W.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model-X
Country flag
Thanks for posting this. Most of us have had moments like this, and fortunately it seems to be a straightforward repair.

I'm curious though: are the bumpers on the CT metal or composite?

Cyber_Skerple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cautionary information makes it bearable in the back of the line, although we are grateful for those that share unfortunate experiences so we can avoid the heartbreak. I find members of this forum compassionate and encouraging, not to say envious to those who have. Thank you
That's for damn sure. And I know there's not much we can do from afar, but still...if there is a time when you need assistance, CT or otherwise, let us know. That goes for everyone here.

jakoh1

First Name
daman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bolt
Country flag
I have owned a car that self lowers for over a decade and this hasn't happened.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
A few shots from the Cyberhammer will bend that back into shape!

Seriously though, at least no one was hurt - well, except your ego. The truck can be fixed and $650, while painful, is as minor as it gets.
Sponsored