Lowering a cybertruck

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Looking at the Model S/X owner's manual it doesn't look like there are any restrictions on driving in the "Low/Very Low" settings, it's the "High/Very High" settings which become problematic at speed. I'd imagine the CT is going to be similar in that regard.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Looking at the Model S/X owner's manual it doesn't look like there are any restrictions on driving in the "Low/Very Low" settings, it's the "High/Very High" settings which become problematic at speed. I'd imagine the CT is going to be similar in that regard.
Sort of a nuance here, but I was injecting regarding the notion that users will be able to use any height at preference, regardless of conditions.

Selecting low/very low, at will, is itself only partially controlled: e.g., I would but surprised to find that if the truck can be placed in "very low" if in an "offroad" setting; likewise I would be surprised that an "entry/exit" height is allowed to be maintained at any speed (beyond pulling out of a driveway)

put differently, "low/very low" are default heights

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Although you 'may' be correct there is a big difference between 'possibly' being correct and the "ZERO chance" that you say. Elon has said during the unveiling that the Cybertruck will have an unprecedented ability to adapt dynamically to road conditions, load conditions, etc. The Model S/X already have geofence ride height adaptation. So 'unfettered' does seem unlikely (and unsafe) but I just find that saying "ZERO chance" is going too far.
I did not say "zero" chance of any control, as you seem to be implying

I said nearly zero chance that Tesla will permit users "unfettered ability to set any ride height in any condition"

i'm fine guaranteeing that Tesla will not allow the CT - which has independent suspension- to travel at highway speeds in full lift height (for each of safety, mechanical, and ride quality reasons), and I'd be shocked if Tesla would allow the CT and its independent suspension to travel at highway speeds in anything approximating an "entry/exit" position (again for each of safety, mechanical, and ride quality reasons)

or maybe i should reframe the actual point:

If Tesla "allows users unfettered ability to set ride height in any condition," it will run contrary to Tesla's history of prioritizing safety, reduced maintenance, and ride quality, to a degree that should cast a shadow over its judgment

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Hi Mike, Vancouver is a beautiful place. There's so many fun things to do, a Cybertruck would be fantastic to haul your family and all the gear. I play around with graphics, and several years ago I took Tesla's photo of the Cybertruck and lowered the body. To me it looks awesome lowered. I would love to be able to lower it to this height for entry/exit, and leave it in my driveway just like this. It's amazing how much wider it looks just by cutting and pasting the body closer to the tires!

BTW, welcome to the forum.

frontlowered.jpg
I'm not following how anyone who understands cars and trucks, driving dynamics, suspension, handling, etc. could think that looks good. A suspensions job is to absorb irregularities in the driving surface and keep the tires in contact with the ground. To do this effectively, it is widely recognized that the static ride height needs to be about 25% of the total suspension travel below the point that the suspension is fully topped out.

The picture shows only about 1" of suspension travel available before the tires contact the body/fenders. that would imply far less than 2" of suspension travel in the lowest ride height mode and would not even be suitable for travel on a relatively smooth freeway.

If you are saying you want the Cybertruck suspension to go that low only when the vehicle is not in motion, then I must ask "Why?". Our Tesla Model 3's have about 6" of ground clearance and old people that are not in good physical condition, even short, old, weak people, find the seats too low to get in/out of easily. The low ground clearance of 6" is a compromise for longer range without having to haul around as heavy of a battery as competitors use. But the body work is designed to ride at this ride height so tires rubbing on fenders is not an issue.

When I look at the image of the slammed Cybertruck, I just shake my head and cannot understand why a car person would think it looks good. Form follows function. Too low for ease of entry and ingress, too low for freeway travel without tires rubbing, too low for anything. The "squat mode", for lowering the tailgate close to the ground, for the loading of heavy items in the bed, actually raises the front of the truck to lower the tailgate further.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm not following how anyone who understands cars and trucks, driving dynamics, suspension, handling, etc. could think that looks good. A suspensions job is to absorb irregularities in the driving surface and keep the tires in contact with the ground. To do this effectively, it is widely recognized that the static ride height needs to be about 25% of the total suspension travel below the point that the suspension is fully topped out.

The picture shows only about 1" of suspension travel available before the tires contact the body/fenders. that would imply far less than 2" of suspension travel in the lowest ride height mode and would not even be suitable for travel on a relatively smooth freeway.

If you are saying you want the Cybertruck suspension to go that low only when the vehicle is not in motion, then I must ask "Why?". Our Tesla Model 3's have about 6" of ground clearance and old people that are not in good physical condition, even short, old, weak people, find the seats too low to get in/out of easily. The low ground clearance of 6" is a compromise for longer range without having to haul around as heavy of a battery as competitors use. But the body work is designed to ride at this ride height so tires rubbing on fenders is not an issue.

When I look at the image of the slammed Cybertruck, I just shake my head and cannot understand why a car person would think it looks good. Form follows function. Too low for ease of entry and ingress, too low for freeway travel without tires rubbing, too low for anything. The "squat mode", for lowering the tailgate close to the ground, for the loading of heavy items in the bed, actually raises the front of the truck to lower the tailgate further.
Oh wow, we disagree on what we think looks good. :ROFLMAO:

BTW, when I look at that image I see about 2"+ of room in the wheel wells and 6"+ of ride height. Don't forget those are 35" tires.

And, the Cybertruck seats will be way different from your Model 3 seats. But if you don't like it to be that low that's you. No worries, don't take your CT that low.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Oh wow, we disagree on what we think looks good. :ROFLMAO:

BTW, when I look at that image I see about 2"+ of room in the wheel wells and 6"+ of ride height. Don't forget those are 35" tires.
Maybe you don't believe that form follows function You wouldn't be the first!

I see a 35" tire that is almost in contact with the front fender, simply because the steering is not straight ahead.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Maybe you don't believe that form follows function You wouldn't be the first!

I see a 35" tire that is almost in contact with the front fender, simply because the steering is not straight ahead.
You know what they say about opinions. Everybody's got one. :)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
To me it looks awesome lowered. I would love to be able to lower it to this height for entry/exit, and leave it in my driveway just like this.
for the parking/driveway squat, it would be cool to be able to sit it on its bump-stops

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
for the parking/driveway squat, it would be cool to be able to sit it on its bump-stops
As long as it's only when parked. Not fun driving on bump stops. My brother has a 2014 Dodge Ram pickup with the factory air suspension and it sprung an air leak that allowed the nitrogen gas out. It now pumps everything out with ambient air, which causes problems in the winter because the valve manifold freezes. Sometimes his truck sits crooked as one side is lower than the other. However, in the times when all the air is out from all 4 sides then it does sit pretty low and the look would appeal to those that like lowered vehicles. But it is definitely not fun to ride on the bump stops unless you are on a very smooth, level paved road.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag

My personal view is that slammed CT is pretty damn cool!
Not something that suits my needs which require significant ground clearance and suspension travel but someone who wants a bad ass looking vehicle looking low and mean I think that look is awesome. Of course there will be trade-offs on performance and design intent. Matter fact, going to a slightly smaller tires like a 33 inch and maybe less aggressive tread with 22 inch or 24 inch rims could actually increase energy efficiency. And could be a candidate for best in class performance regarding speed quickness
I think we just need to assume that’s gonna be a given on performance trade-offs, and not get caught up on what’s right and wrong

if someone’s gonna slam the car to 3 inches of ground clearance, you can assume they’re not gonna go expect to run the Rubicon
- instead of you have a cool cruiser there’s like nothing else.
And if any vehicle is a good candidate for what is not like anything else, should it not be a cyber truck? 🤙

looking forward to some slammed CT pictures🤓😎