Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
If the tailgate is down when the tent is deployed, how my stuff won't be stolen while sleeping?
one of my favorite bumper stickers ever: "Insured by Smith & Wesson". :devilish:
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Why not automatically inflate with air compressor from CT?
the Ct compressor isn’t available to anything other than the air suspension

On thing - it's not possible that the CT's heaters were not efficient enough for this tent, as that is a heat pump
the point wasn’t that the heat pump is too “inefficient” to heat the tent

it’s that the CTs heat pump is overkill, and it’s too inefficient to condition both the tent and the cabin using the heat pump when sleeping in the tent only requires a small aux heater

it’s at this point someone says “but Tesla could have instead engineerEd X, Y, Z”

but that they didn’t shows it wasn’t a commercially viable alternating for either Tesla or the consumer

like how people who need an aux air compressor can buy a great small portable 3rd party one for $150 instead of Tesla engineering the aux compressor guts (and maintenance) into the CT itself

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag

it’s that the CTs heat pump is overkill, and it’s too inefficient to condition both the tent and the cabin using the heat pump when sleeping in the tent only requires a small aux heater

it’s at this point someone says “but Tesla could have instead engineerEd X, Y, Z”

but that they didn’t shows it wasn’t a commercially viable alternating for either Tesla or the consumer

like how people who need an aux air compressor can buy a great small portable 3rd party one for $150 instead of Tesla engineering the aux compressor guts (and maintenance) into the CT itself
I understood that and have to disagree. Heat pumps "move heat from one place to another" while a "small aux heater" just uses electricity to heat an area. A heat pump may be 10x more efficient per watt.

"10x more efficient" is not "less efficient"

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
4) I asked why not use CT's heaters -- he mentioned that CT has inefficient heating when compared with a local electrical heater. (entire vehicle vs tent)
On thing - it's not possible that the CT's heaters were not efficient enough for this tent, as that is a heat pump.
I understand at a high-level that heating the cabin and the tent is a larger volume ... but it is hard to believe that using the CTs heat pump would be more [IN]efficient than a 120v heater. ie. CT heat pump more efficent.
UPDATE: inefficient

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertent (BaseCamp Tent) info/specs/pics from Cybertruck Accessories Engineer ⛺️ LtH10xW

Last edited:

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag

I need some outlets, Harbor Freight, and my trusty Kentucky hillbilly blood to get it done.

See, see what I did there - I'll be going to Harbor Freight because, you know, a beast will have stolen my wallet

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I understood that and have to disagree. Heat pumps "move heat from one place to another" while a "small aux heater" just uses electricity to heat an area. A heat pump may be 10x more efficient per watt.

heat pumps alao use electricity to “move heat from one place to another”

regardless, I think you might be missing the all-in net “inefficiency” being considered here

you might design the truck to have HVAC ducting to the vault (no small order), and now the “inefficiency” of using the heat pump isn’t merely about the efficiency of the unit itself, it’s about the net inefficiencies of that HVAC ducting design plus the cost of incorporating that ducting into the overall blueprint of the truck, incorporated into every truck built, but utilized only in edge cases.

so, even if a heat pump is 10x more efficient as a unit, incorporate the ducring Inefficiencies now you’re down to say 7x, then look at the manufacturing plan of building that system into 99 trucks that ~never use it for the benefit of every 1 truck that will.

I can only assume it’s this sort of all-in, manufacturing level, net inefficiency that’s being weighed here. That’s really the only level Tesla calculates at.

Last edited:

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

and besides. There is no good way to get the heat from the cab to the tent.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

heat pumps alao use electricity to “move heat from one place to another”

regardless, I think you might be missing the all-in net “inefficiency” being considered here

you might design the truck to have HVAC ducting to the vault (no small order), and now the “inefficiency” of using the heat pump isn’t merely about the efficiency of the unit itself, it’s about the net inefficiencies of that HVAC ducting design plus the cost of incorporating that ducting into the overall blueprint of the truck, incorporated into every truck built, but utilized only in edge cases.

so, even if a heat pump is 10x more efficient as a unit, incorporate the ducring Inefficiencies now you’re down to say 7x, then look at the manufacturing plan of building that system into 99 trucks that ~never use it for the benefit of every 1 truck that will.

I can only assume it’s this sort of all-in, manufacturing level, net inefficiency that’s being weighed here. That’s really the only level Tesla calculates at.
and besides. There is no good way to get the heat from the cab to the tent.
FYI, there is this contraption (apparently well built but not cheap).

https://www.campstreamgear.com/product/campstream-one

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertent (BaseCamp Tent) info/specs/pics from Cybertruck Accessories Engineer ⛺️ GsEqHjJ

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertent (BaseCamp Tent) info/specs/pics from Cybertruck Accessories Engineer ⛺️ g29x1cH

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
FYI, there is this contraption (apparently well built but not cheap).

https://www.campstreamgear.com/product/campstream-one

GsEqHjJ.jpg

g29x1cH.jpg
yes, this is the other option to “inefficiently” heat the whole interior+tent, and “inefficiently” duct it between the interior to the tent 🤣

I’ve not used one of the above, but I suspect there’s some fan system at the tent side of the duct that attempts to draw the cabin air up into the tent

this might work out sort of like having your home thermostat in your living room, running a duct to your garage, then trying to temp balance - to get it 70° in the garage, you have to set the home thermostat to 90° because it’scolder ambient in the garage, but with no thermostat (or separate zone) in the garage the HVAC unit can’t ‘see’ that it’s colder in there

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
yes, this is the other option to “inefficiently” heat the whole interior+tent, and “inefficiently” duct it between the interior to the tent 🤣

I’ve not used one of the above, but I suspect there’s some fan system at the tent side of the duct that attempts to draw the cabin air up into the tent

this might work out sort of like having your home thermostat in your living room, running a duct to your garage, then trying to temp balance - to get it 70° in the garage, you have to set the home thermostat to 90° because it’s colder ambient in the garage, but with no thermostat (or separate zone) in the garage the HVAC unit can’t ‘see’ that it’s colder in there
I do not think the temperature analogy is the major factor that is in play here ...
I think it is air pressure. The cabin interior is well sealed and would hold pressure *way* better than a tent with zippers and 'fabric' seams. My feeling the air pressure would make air flow from the cabin down the tube into the tent and then outside. Of course, I do see how the cabin interior where the temperature sensor is would stay warmer so you would have to have the temperature higher like your example. I just don't think it is a big of delta as you I think. ie. 80 vs 90 :)
I'm sure this company did a lot of 'backyard' testing. I recall Munro doing an ad-hoc review while at some event, for what that is worth.
Sponsored