carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
For those thinking "I paid for it so I can do what I want" you should try buying a house (or co-op) with a homeowners/co-op association.

I assure you, you CAN NOT do what you want with your property. Yes, even in Florida.

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
Does anyone actually read the agreement? lol

The agreement states that Tesla will buy it back within. the no-resale period, with a very minimal depreciation penalty based on age / mileage.

If you have financial hardship and can't afford it, you can basically just give it back and barely lose anything.
They donā€™tā€¦ financial hardship is just something you say after as an excuse. Buying a 100k truck before taxes is silly if thatā€™s a possibility. Considering the 4+ years weā€™ve all had to really manipulate our finances to get the truck if we really want it.
If some one gets it, and wants to make money, do you and sell it. I wouldnā€™t, I want the truck and itā€™s not worth the headache if Tesla finds out. If you think itā€™s not right and Tesla is out of line, why even give them your business. But either way, like everyone does ā€¦ do what you can and what you think you can get away with.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

ƆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So far they have cancelled my other reservations. No other word. Now we wait and see if they drop the hammer.

Havenā€™t even sold yet. Just listed it. Loss and Prevention flagged me and Store Leader reached out to let me know they cancelled my other reservations.

Updated with more info:

Correct. Took delivery. Had two more reservations. They cancelled those and refunded. Said if I ever try to place an order again it will not be refunded.

I have not sold anything. I listed it on multiple sites to feel it out.

Based on the wording I may be blacklisted. Itā€™s unclear to me if that is for a new CT only or any Tesla.

IMG_5702.jpeg
Why are you posting to 'warn' us of this? We already know such options Tesla may chose to exercise, as these terms are stated in our Pre-Order Agreement as well. Don't you think if people can read in these forums, that they can also read and understand a Pre-Order Agreement? Why would you think Tesla is not genuine in their stated terms of the Pre-Order Agreement, while at the same time Tesla is making genuinely awesome products that require a waiting list before we can accept such Pre-Order Agreements in the first place?

Tesla Cybertruck Be careful selling your Cybertruck! Tesla found sale listings, cancelled my other reservations and I may be blacklisted 1710193814820

- ƆCIII

Cyber07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 MS 85, 2018 M3 LR, 2020 M3 P, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
While I don't endorse the OP actions Tesla contractual language has NOT excluded trying to sell to third party. Actually, the contract language allows it IF they decide not to buy back or respond for such a request in a reasonable manner. It is absolutely has no restriction for intent to sell or solicit to sell.

OP could have just done a simple inquiry.

Hence, I strongly disagree with Tesla action on this matter and IMHO you have legal standing against this behavior.

On the other hand if you have ordered multiple CTs just to flip and not use it, it is on you if Tesla suspect that your final exit from those usage is not actual usage but flipping. It is difficult to show good faith on your side when you entered into such a contract that you want to break it from the start. [Hence, you are acting in bad faith]

Kaz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
Why are you posting to 'warn' us of this? We already know such options Tesla may chose to exercise, as these terms are stated in our Pre-Order Agreement as well. Don't you think if people can read in these forums, that they can also read and understand a Pre-Order Agreement? Why would you think Tesla is not genuine in their stated terms of the Pre-Order Agreement, while at the same time Tesla is making genuinely awesome products that require a waiting list before we can accept such Pre-Order Agreements in the first place?

1710193814820.png

- ƆCIII
I am waiting for one the ppl like yourself to reply to my postā€¦.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Lol good - you deserve that for violating your purchase agreement. I have no sympathy if that's what you're looking for by posting here.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The blacklist and prevention of future orders was always a possibility and most likely thing Tesla could do.

But the main debate has been whether Tesla will actually sue to enforce the no-sale clause and seek to enforce the liquidated damages clause which so far the "internet lawyers" have been correct as Tesla hasn't done crap.
No, the debate was whether the "no resale" clause was legal and enforceable (of course it is), not whether Tesla would enforce it beyond blacklisting violators from buying future vehicles from Tesla.

We know they will blacklist; we don't know if they will use their lawyers to collect any profits from the sale (or the $50K flat fee). Tesla would never collect those fines for the money, only to stem the tide of an out-of-control black market if they felt it was necessary.

noshi47

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
No, the debate was whether the "no resale" clause was legal and enforceable (of course it is), not whether Tesla would enforce it beyond blacklisting violators from buying future vehicles from Tesla.

We know they will blacklist; we don't know if they will use their lawyers to collect any profits from the sale (or the $50K flat fee). Tesla would never collect those fines for the money, only to stem the tide of an out-of-control black market if they felt it was necessary.
haha ok, um no, Tesla's liquidated damages is unenforceable and likely unlawful which is why I gather they r not actually suing customers in court to try to enforce it bc they know it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
haha ok, um no, Tesla's liquidated damages is unenforceable and likely unlawful which is why I gather they r not actually suing customers in court to try to enforce it bc they know it.
Yes, that's why you described it incorrectly, we should trust rando on the internet without any case law to cite.

-Crissa

noshi47

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
I didn't describe it "incorrectly," Tesla's no-resale clause is framed as a liquidated damages provision. I've been a litigator over 20yrs so I've litigated these types of provisions quite a bit. Tesla won't have any problems blacklisting customers or canceation reservations etc... but if they try to enforce the liquidated damages $50k or whatever profits gained from the resale clause in court, they will lose.

Wake me up when Tesla actually sues a customer in Court to try to enforce the liquidated damages clause. Hint, it won't happen.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have one for each family member plus some as batteries for the workshop. Cheaper than Powerwalls per kWh and comes with a free car.
Sponsored