OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I.E., Haul mulch? Lower back to 4". Raise front to 20". An easy push to dump. (4"-20" when stationary, shown on recent parents).
Check this part of your post.

"shown on recent parents"

Should that be "patents"?

Also do have link to the patent showing tailgate end of bed tilting down to 4"?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
gravel, sand, soil

Agree. Even base model Cybertruck as a mini-dump truck.

Also all models of Cybertruck have a huge payload capacity of 3,500 lbs compared to F-150 Lightnings 1,800/2,000 lbs or even that of F-150 ICE means possibly many fewer trips needed with Cybertruck.
One would think that the Single motor CT would be capable of the more payload capacity than the TriMotor CT due to reduced over all weight unless its just a CT suspension issue limit. I would not be surprised if the Single motor CT is a good 700lbs lighter possibly more?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One would think that the Single motor CT would be capable of the more payload capacity than the TriMotor CT due to reduced over all weight unless its just a CT suspension issue limit. I would not be surprised if the Single motor CT is a good 700lbs lighter possibly more?
Unless the tri motor version is the only one getting 4 wheel steering. That is supposed to help with towing capacity quite a bit.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Unless the tri motor version is the only one getting 4 wheel steering. That is supposed to help with towing capacity quite a bit.
Yeah, towing capacity is a different animal than payload capacity I was speaking of.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Check this part of your post.

"shown on recent parents"

Should that be "patents"?

Also do have link to the patent showing tailgate end of bed tilting down to 4"?
Not the poster who said that and I don't have a link.

I suspect this is about what we can expect. The rear is constrained by the wheel well.

Tesla Cybertruck Building contractor & Ford Pickup owner says Cybertruck should be better work truck than Lightning iu-5

Not exactly dump truck, but it's a pretty good kneel.

I'd not noticed, but the more other images shows a significantly different tailgate.

Tesla Cybertruck Building contractor & Ford Pickup owner says Cybertruck should be better work truck than Lightning iu-6

This second tailgate is closer to what's in the video at the construction site:

Tesla Cybertruck Building contractor & Ford Pickup owner says Cybertruck should be better work truck than Lightning Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 6.26.10 PM

That looks a little sketchier than the top image. I suspect these last 2 images are closer to actual production.

Not 4" off the ground. Maybe 12? It's low enough I can see stepping up onto it which is vastly better than what most trucks offer.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I drive the contractor truck lite, Ridgeline, and the CT is the evolutionary child of the original Ridgeline in style and target customer. Except that it also fixes literally every issue i have with my Ridgeline:
-Short bed about 1-2ft too short for most loads
-cab that is just slightly undersized for the loss of bed space

while also giving me features i have only dreamed of:
-more than double the payload capacity 3500 lbs instead of 1500lbs. (Thinking back to the time i overloaded it with tile for the basement and gingerly drove home at a crawl with suspension maxed out)
-double the towing capacity 10k lbs instead of 5k (two motor version)

And many more features i never even thought of but am excited about:
-crab mode
-air suspension
-integrated ramp
-suspension adjustment for loading/unloading bed
-literally every other Tesla sedan feature.

This truck is a huge upgrade in both usability and more than welcome unnecessary features.

I can't wait!

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Not the poster who said that and I don't have a link.

I suspect this is about what we can expect. The rear is constrained by the wheel well.

iu-5.jpeg

Not exactly dump truck, but it's a pretty good kneel.

I'd not noticed, but the more other images shows a significantly different tailgate.

iu-6.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 6.26.10 PM.png

That looks a little sketchier than the top image. I suspect these last 2 images are closer to actual production.

Not 4" off the ground. Maybe 12? It's low enough I can see stepping up onto it which is vastly better than what most trucks offer.
Yeah the marketing photo looks cool but the reality is still an improvement over harbor freight fold up ramps! Though I would love to know the weight capacity of the pull out ramp. It looks very thin and flimsy attached. That could really limit the usability of the pull out ramp. I'm loading 3-500 lbs Vespas which that will have no problem handling, but can imagine a full size Harley might max that thing out!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah the marketing photo looks cool but the reality is still an improvement over harbor freight fold up ramps! Though I would love to know the weight capacity of the pull out ramp. It looks very thin and flimsy attached. That could really limit the usability of the pull out ramp. I'm loading 3-500 lbs Vespas which that will have no problem handling, but can imagine a full size Harley might max that thing out!
Looking at that, I'd just as soon they made the tailgate lighter and more durable and let the folks who need ramps get some better aftermarket ones anyhow.

Regardless, the kneeling is to me the more interesting bit.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Looking at that, I'd just as soon they made the tailgate lighter and more durable and let the folks who need ramps get some better aftermarket ones anyhow.

Regardless, the kneeling is to me the more interesting bit.
I kinda wish the integrated ramp was more like a Russian nesting doll with increasingly smaller hollow sections that hold the next smaller section. That would lead to a heavier tailgate, but a much stronger ramp extension with much higher weight limit.

Reactions: cal

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

These two are the same from the prototype. The first is the render. We'll just have to see what the production model looks like, the prototype is no more indication than the render. One is optimal, the other is rushed. Production will be somewhere in between.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
These two are the same from the prototype. The first is the render. We'll just have to see what the production model looks like, the prototype is no more indication than the render. One is optimal, the other is rushed. Production will be somewhere in between.

-Crissa
I sure hope so.

Personally, a ramp is pretty low on my list of priorities. A good ramp would be a nice value add. But I'd rather have none than a bad/ mediocre one. Imagine dealing with lowering a heavy tailgate every time but knowing that rolling your moto up into the bed safely you still need aftermarket ramps!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I sure hope so.

Personally, a ramp is pretty low on my list of priorities. A good ramp would be a nice value add. But I'd rather have none than a bad/ mediocre one. Imagine dealing with lowering a heavy tailgate every time but knowing that rolling your moto up into the bed safely you still need aftermarket ramps!
The ATV that Tesla demonstrated loading up the Cybertruck tailgate ramp cannot be light because it's electric. So, let's hope the real McCoy is just as capable. Whatever the load capacity is, I think as long as the tailgate itself is strong enough, the ramp capacity will be able to be increased over the rated limit simply by topping it with a thin piece of plywood. Even a 1/2" piece of plywood would allow much heavier loads without damaging anything because of the way it distributes point loads over a much larger area.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The ATV that Tesla demonstrated loading up the Cybertruck tailgate ramp cannot be light because it's electric. So, let's hope the real McCoy is just as capable. Whatever the load capacity is, I think as long as the tailgate itself is strong enough, the ramp capacity will be able to be increased over the rated limit simply by topping it with a thin piece of plywood. Even a 1/2" piece of plywood would allow much heavier loads without damaging anything because of the way it distributes point loads over a much larger area.
Electric quad wouldn’t need to be very heavy. Depends a lot on range and top speed. My ebike weighs 50 pounds and can get me 25 miles or so.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Electric quad wouldn’t need to be very heavy. Depends a lot on range and top speed. My ebike weighs 50 pounds and can get me 25 miles or so.
If you hope the Tesla Cyberquad will be a lightweight toy, you will be sadly mistaken. Elon has said that Tesla doesn't make slow vehicles. Obviously, the Cyberquad is going to weigh hundreds of pounds and be a real quad. It will have little in common with an electric pedal bike.

But you raise a good point, the tailgate ramp will not just be for heavy items like the Cyberquad, it will be a real back saver for electric bicycles. My full suspension electric mountain bike weighs 52 lbs. with no accessories on it so it's not super easy to lift in the back of a standard 4x4 pickup without a ramp. Cybertruck will make it easy.
Sponsored