Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
Or some kind of track rack hack in fact.

Tesla needs a Cybertrack rack FAQ.
A fast track to pack hack the rack in stacks on your Mack cybertruck back! Iā€™ll write that on my plaque. Be right back.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
WoW! Thx Iā€™m too young to have aquitted myself with military jargon back that far. Iā€™ve only abused Maggie of her drawers colloquially to wit: ā€œFrom the Start Maggieā€™s Fate Has Been to Look Ridiculous in the Height of Fashionā€.
Tesla Cybertruck Closed tonneau rack system 07C96EA2-ABED-48A0-A452-2A70A5374E66

Itā€™s a term of art which follows from the quote as to ā€œappearancesā€ - not in a good way. Specifically, sad, bad and my oft used term for campers pulling up camp in the middle of torrential downpour or after. Tent thrown across rear tire mounted at rear, driving back home, obviously haphazard and surrendered in failure by all looks of it.

Last edited:

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd love to see Tesla provide mount points where you could have the tonneau cover closed and still mount a rack on the back. I like to go kayaking and it would be nice to be able to transport the 'yaks on the rack and all of the accessories in the (secure) vault when I go long distances.
Here's something I wrote last year. I still think it is workable but the verticle female anchor tubes have to be built into the cab over the B pillar and in the side walls at the rear. Here's my proposal for Elon: This seems such a simple thing for Tesla to implement...but first: for years I was a general contractor. The most important addition to my pickups was the addition of roof racks. As a contractor, my guys were always hauling lumber or pipes on the rack. So, very near the apex of the structural triangle which corresponds approximately with the vertical post between the doors (and would thus form a vertical support member inside pillar B), Tesla should implant a stainless steel, fixed threaded, female receptacle. Put some sort of cap over it for those who don't need a rack to keep the rain out. At the rear....and I suspect those wide side panels are void and therefore have space to implant another stainless, threaded, female receptacle in the deck, level with the bottom of the vault. Put a cap on top. THEN...Tesla could sell a factory-made, matching vertical male tube to be threaded into the female receptacle. And of course, horizontal connecting members. Jeeeeeeeze....would this be so difficult? It instantly makes the CYBRTRK so much more useful to campers, kayakers, contractors, house painters, etc. And...it would be Tesla-engineered; built to fit perfectly.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This image was from 2019. Tesla knows the Cybertruck needs to have roof rack anchor points. They also chose areas where maximum strength would support them. Notice they are at the pillars.

anchorpoints.jpg
Telsa please publish the interface detail and capacity limits.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Itā€™s a term of art which follows from the quote as to ā€œappearancesā€ - not in a good way. Specifically, sad, bad and my oft used term for campers pulling up camp in the middle of torrential downpour or after. Tent thrown across rear tire mounted at rear, driving back home, obviously haphazard and surrendered in failure by all looks of it.
Your reference was the first time I've ever knowingly come across the term, but I expect I'll run across it three more times today (weird how that works). Is it common in your neck of the woods? I'll certainly try to shoehorn Maggie's Drawers into my normal conversation in the future. Will anyone in Arkansas know what I'm talking about? It'll be an interesting experiment. šŸ˜ƒ

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I figured they wouldn't leave us hanging. I seriously can't wait for this thing to hit the road. With all of the outdoor activities I want to use the CT for, I'll probably be living out of it most weekends.
I find myself with fleeting thoughts of CyberTruck life being a variation of van life. Maybe just for some long trips with occasional hotel stops to regroup or take a long hot shower.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
A fast track to pack hack the rack in stacks on your Mack cybertruck back! Iā€™ll write that on my plaque. Be right back.
NO MORE RHYMING, I MEAN IT!

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I find myself with fleeting thoughts of CyberTruck life being a variation of van life. Maybe just for some long trips with occasional hotel stops to regroup or take a long hot shower.
With (hopefully) built-in solar charging, even the long hot showers will be easily attainable anywhere you go.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here's something I wrote last year. I still think it is workable but the verticle female anchor tubes have to be built into the cab over the B pillar and in the side walls at the rear. Here's my proposal for Elon: This seems such a simple thing for Tesla to implement...but first: for years I was a general contractor. The most important addition to my pickups was the addition of roof racks. As a contractor, my guys were always hauling lumber or pipes on the rack. So, very near the apex of the structural triangle which corresponds approximately with the vertical post between the doors (and would thus form a vertical support member inside pillar B), Tesla should implant a stainless steel, fixed threaded, female receptacle. Put some sort of cap over it for those who don't need a rack to keep the rain out. At the rear....and I suspect those wide side panels are void and therefore have space to implant another stainless, threaded, female receptacle in the deck, level with the bottom of the vault. Put a cap on top. THEN...Tesla could sell a factory-made, matching vertical male tube to be threaded into the female receptacle. And of course, horizontal connecting members. Jeeeeeeeze....would this be so difficult? It instantly makes the CYBRTRK so much more useful to campers, kayakers, contractors, house painters, etc. And...it would be Tesla-engineered; built to fit perfectly.
during the launch one of the videos showed a Cybertruck with a lumber rack. Presumably they know this is a common use case.

weā€™ve seen some rack attach points already so we know itā€™ll be there.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Your reference was the first time I've ever knowingly come across the term, but I expect I'll run across it three more times today (weird how that works). Is it common in your neck of the woods? I'll certainly try to shoehorn Maggie's Drawers into my normal conversation in the future. Will anyone in Arkansas know what I'm talking about? It'll be an interesting experiment. šŸ˜ƒ
Perhaps AR, colloquial absorbed usage growing up IA. Its color commentary that passes where direct reference would be insulting midwest decorum in public. AR might be the higher art form if Pres. Clinton is any measure. He was Little Rock grown.
Most brilliant man met, wore bib overalls looked hayseed just off the back of a wagon and talked just like it. He owned the largest grocery chain throughout the South. He was sharpest mind Iā€˜ve had the pleasure meeting. Culture is a trip!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
I hope they will support a load rating of more than 165 lbs. I can't see the detail on the t slot.
Because ā€œswing-weightā€ causes ā€˜tippyā€™, you donā€™t want more than couple hundred lbs. that high up, above CG. Rule is ā€œIf you build it ā€“ they will load itā€ to max! Built a rack with strong as Space Shuttle T-6 alum only to have the front wheels lift off terra firma.
In commercial contracting when it was required to haul smaller loads of length steel, wired-tied to lower control arms and underside of axel housing of truck, the alternative was pay to have it delivered to jobsite by flatbed days later.
Lots a loads were underslung and kept crews working, progress going and % of completion rolling.
Sponsored