Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Leaving it parked in the August sun is going to make it theft-proof. The steel is going to heat to searing hot levels
Can confirm. When I had a stainless steel shift knob in my Miata, I had to put a hat or a sock over it or it was too hot to touch. It didn't stay on the car for very long. But really any car body gets very hot when out in the sun. We just don't go putting our hands on them.

vameleon92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLK350
Occupation
EE Eng.
Country flag
my wife expressed concern about SS finish :) .. Is it gonna be first gen SS applaences kind of finish where just looking at surface left prints EVERYWHERE or are they gonna use latest SS finish fingerprint resistant surface technologies?
Sorry to say, but I think it is probably former option.

However, in contrast to a touch screen, you would expect one not to touch CT all over but only around the door and frunk edges. So not so noticeable and will probably be easy to wipe away

Last edited:

cbrtrckrsrvd112219

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Question about the Original hubcaps... wheel covers... whatever. If those things extend out over the rubber of the tire and you have a large compression event (landing from a jump, coming down the backside of a big speed bump, curbing the sh!t out of it, etc.), would the rubber bulging out for that split second pop off those covers? It seems it would. Yeah, definitely.

I'm suddenly anti original covers.

Who's with me ?

(Plus, I don't want to be stuck with only being able to buy that ONE tire style made to specifically fit those covers...)

Tesla Cybertruck Closeup look at new wheels & body panels on release candidate Cybertruck 1691695080775

Tesla Cybertruck Closeup look at new wheels & body panels on release candidate Cybertruck 1691695118906

What happens to those tough covers now? Yeah, foresight would have you either removing them or avoiding the rocks or potholes, etc.

Last edited:

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Question about the Original hubcaps... wheel covers... whatever. If those things extend out over the rubber of the tire and you have a large compression event (landing from a jump, coming down the backside of a big speed bump, curbing the sh!t out of it, etc.), would the rubber bulging out for that split second pop off those covers? It seems it would. Yeah, definitely.

Who's with me ?

(Plus, I don't want to be stuck with only being able to buy that ONE tire style made to specifically fit those covers...)

1691695080775.png

1691695118906.png

What happens to those tough covers now? Yeah, foresight would have you either removing them or avoiding the rocks or potholes, etc.
I am with you there. I would sooner get myself some airless wheels then keep the original covers

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Leaving it parked in the August sun is going to make it theft-proof. The steel is going to heat to searing hot levels
Prop the Frunk horizontal, so you can do a burger, chuck on a couple of prawns and even fried tomatoes & eggs(0) (0)

NOICE

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
set aside one big caveat for a moment, then:

one would want them on most for highway driving where range is at issue

pop off the aero covers for 4-wheeling, and other such planned rough rides.

but curb rash will be unavoidable, really

and they’re not that strong, or else the techs wouldn’t have removed them before trailering due to concern of damage

that said the caveat is that these ring mounts are going to give the wheels a rash. so while it’s possible to pop them on and off as use case requires, the rubber wheel finish will make my OCD flare up

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I am with you there. I would sooner get myself some airless wheels then keep the original covers
I'd just like Tesla to make a wheel or wheel cover that does NOT stick out farther than the rubber on the tire (Rubber should be the only thing that hits in the unfortunate event you actually hit a curb or edge of a pothole). Also, they shouldn't cover the rubber either.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag

Who's with me ?

1691695080775.png

1691695118906.png

They could still work if they were made of rubber. Recycled tire rubber. They would flex with the bulge. Don't care. Just a thought.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
and they’re not that strong, or else the techs wouldn’t have removed them before trailering due to concern of damage

that said the caveat is that these ring mounts are going to give the wheels a rash. so while it’s possible to pop them on and off as use case requires, the rubber wheel finish will make my OCD flare up
C,

I wish you had OCD about your “facts”. Really. how do you know the techs removed them due to a “concern of damage”? The techs could’ve had a myriad of reasons for removing them. First and foremost, they could have removed them because… someone above them told them to! Or it was too tight a fit, or the trailer guy refused liability, or they tested them by throwing an 8 lb steel ball at it, and it died, Or…

”…are going to give the wheels a rash…” Unless, and just maybe, I know it’s a long shot, coming straight outta nowhere, maybe someone tested them by tossing a giant steel ball at them, and they broke! Maybe short of a steel ball, they are really really really really tough! Maybe they WON’’T make your OCD flare up!

Lots of assumptions there.
Sponsored

Last edited: