swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I received a quote by a Tesla certified installer for $6,000 for just the installation of the "Tesla Whole Home Backup Gateway 3v installation". The quote also included the travel costs ($500) and reworking the existing panel to concentrate the critical circuits into one of the two 200A boxes we have at the house ($750). The electrician informed me that it should only take them about 2 days to complete the entire install. We have an existing 100A feed (HPWC Gen1) that we are going to reuse for the new installation.

Does anyone have a breakdown of what is involved in installing the gateway? I find it really difficult to believe that it should cost $6k to install the gateway and HPWC, especially since they are planning to use existing wiring available.

I'm tempted not to go through with the install due to the installation cost. We have only lost power 3 times in 10 years and we live less than 1/4 mile away from the substation. I do want the newer HPWC, but the gateway isn't something I will need to use much.
Sponsored

Pialot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Litigation Management
Country flag
I had a similar quote for $6k as well and they said it was because it would be a new install and my home is over 200A :(

sgmorton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100DL+. M3P, CT
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
If you have enough power in the current box the install should be around $3-4K some will permits. If you decide to isolate circuits in a subpanel as opposed to whole house that's extra. If your main panel is far from the wall connector you will have extra ... for me 100' was an extra $1k. Hope that helps a little.

Coagulation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Are you guys getting quotes before taking delivery?

This will be my first electric car so I don’t have charging situated

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
I paid $3,300 for my install, but it sounds simpler. It was a 1 day process. I already had a charger installed, so they swapped the charger out and then installed the gateway right next to my panel.
Very little additional wiring was required and I didn’t have them rework any breakers in the panel. Based on that, $6,000 doesn’t sound terribly unreasonable, but maybe not worth the ROI. Then again, backing up exactly what you want is really nice as I had to make some exceptions. (I have 2x 200amp breakers, almost both full)

MajorVictory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Once Tesla allows some competition, it should be more reasonable. Still waiting for more feedback on just using 240v in bed for home back up like a portable generator.

Gundo

First Name
Gundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series Cybertruck
Country flag
My quote is $4,000 here in Connecticut. There is only one Tesla certified installer for entire State.
The install requires replacing my current EVSE home run with an new 75' foot run of 60A MC wire + communication wire in conduit through a mostly open basement ceiling. We have solar via Tesla (Solar Edge inverter) and a backup generator panel. I thought $4k was pretty fair all things considered. We lose power often and this is way better than $25k for a propane powered whole house generator. We won't be wiring to our a/c, just a set of critical circuits (well, fridges, furnace, select lights)

More details from my quote
POWERSHARE/CHARGER INSTALLATION
-Install plywood on the concrete wall to the left of panel.
-To remove the existing portable generator transfer switch and its circuits.
-Run those circuits from the transfer switch to the location of the new panel and install a new 12 circuit electrical panel with those circuits being controlled by the backup gateway.
-Install the Backup Gateway and feed it from the main panel.
-Run the 60A 240V rated MC cable from the Backup Gateway to the garage Universal Wall Connector by snaking it through the basement.
-Run the low voltage wires between Wall connector and Backup Gateway.
-Connect the charger wires inside the Backup Gateway.
-Connect wires inside main panel.
-Wire all controller wires.
-Wire and setup the Universal Wall Connector and Backup Gateway
-Commission the Wall Connector.
-Setup the Backup Gateway.
-Test everything.
-Upload all information to Tesla.

**INSTALLATION PRICE ONLY, BACKUP GATEWAY AND UNIVERSAL WALL CONNECTOR INCLUDED IN TRUCK PURCHASE**

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
If theres multiple certified installers. Can you turn down one and go with the next one if the quote is crazy high? Or are you stuck with the first one Tesla sends you?

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
If theres multiple certified installers. Can you turn down one and go with the next one if the quote is crazy high? Or are you stuck with the first one Tesla sends you?
I am actually trying to go down that road now. I found another installer than a CT owner has contracted with that had a much more reasonable price for install. I contacted them and they are trying to register the deal with Tesla now. I'll post when I have an update.

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I paid $3,300 for my install, but it sounds simpler. It was a 1 day process. I already had a charger installed, so they swapped the charger out and then installed the gateway right next to my panel.
Very little additional wiring was required and I didn’t have them rework any breakers in the panel. Based on that, $6,000 doesn’t sound terribly unreasonable, but maybe not worth the ROI. Then again, backing up exactly what you want is really nice as I had to make some exceptions. (I have 2x 200amp breakers, almost both full)
The line item for the circuit rework was reasonable ($750). The monolithic "Gateway/HPWC" install line item was $6k. I too am swapping the charger and adding the gateway next to the panel. If I can't get another installer, I doubt I will move forward with the current quote. Last ditch, I will go back to the guy that quoted the first one and try to talk him down.

Pialot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Litigation Management
Country flag
Are you guys getting quotes before taking delivery?

This will be my first electric car so I don’t have charging situated
I haven’t taken delivery yet but just got the quote, last update they gave me was they are working on the permit for my city and they are the only certified installer so I can’t reach out to another.

Pialot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Litigation Management
Country flag
I am actually trying to go down that road now. I found another installer than a CT owner has contracted with that had a much more reasonable price for install. I contacted them and they are trying to register the deal with Tesla now. I'll post when I have an update.
I attempted to go around to get another quote but Tesla said that I am stuck with this installer since they are the only one in my proximity with PowerShare installation certification.

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I attempted to go around to get another quote but Tesla said that I am stuck with this installer since they are the only one in my proximity with PowerShare installation certification.
If they do that to me, I'm going to call bullshit. The second installer is a whopping 15 minutes further away (in the opposite direction).

Chaetagnath

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
Mine was about 5000 all in, that’s in Naples Florida.

Tesla Cybertruck Convince me that the Gateway install should cost $6,000 IMG_9324

Tesla Cybertruck Convince me that the Gateway install should cost $6,000 IMG_9328
Sponsored