Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
:unsure:Me thinks I should never buy a Silverado... and it sounds like you should try a Ford ;)

You don't have to "suppose". You can look at the fuelly stats from long ago and believe them or not. In which case, I'd like to know what you think my rational was for lying about them back then.

No, we don't need to consider cost because that is not what I was talking about. That's a different conversation. (Also, I don't spend anything beyond normal maintenance costs now nor did I back then with the F250...in fact, I would argue I spend less then normal since I certainly do no follow the service manuals for doing whatever they ask every x# of miles.) The only factor I need to consider is whether or not 500 miles of EV range is available or not. That is the starting point for me (and some others). It is the only reason I reserved a CT3 and did not consider for a second the CT1 or CT2, Rivian, Lightling, EV Silverado, nor Hummer. But I'm still holding out hope for the RAM since they were brave enough to say 500 miles of range also. If that range is not there, then there is no conversation to be had. It is not first about the cost to drive x miles. It is first about the ability to drive x miles. If I can not drive 500 miles an EV truck and I can do it an ICE truck; ICE wins. If I can do it in both, then we can talk cost and many other factors.

Interesting topic, but there are too many unknowns at this point. It's not something I would consider when making the purchase. In fact unless EM comes out and says it will be possible to replace the CT structural pack I will assume, when deciding to purchase or not, that it will not be possible for the duration of my ownership.

Here's to wishing for a CT pack that is EPA rated brand new for 560 miles and guaranteed by Tesla for 90% of that rating for 15yrs and 200k miles! Cheers! šŸ»

***I have 1 caveat to the need for 500 miles of range. 500 miles is not as necessary as the infrastructure gets built out and as charging becomes faster. Having said that. I don't see any plans for future superchargers in the area I need them to be. I know they will eventually get there, but it won't be a priority for a while. Maybe I'll only have to hold a hard line at 350 miles of range for my second CT 20 years from now***
Bye bye. šŸ‘‹
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't know what this means. It could be interpreted many ways.
It was for the guy that keeps going off about 500 miles being the absolute minimum he can handle with 35"s and after 5 years of battery degradation. I guess I missed the reply button.

Now I should say bye to the forum and get more work done. Not much to dissect lately.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
@Tinker71 maybe those people just want something out of the EV truck market that matches the range their ICE truck can do today. Not unreasonable considering the release for the CT3 was for 500+ miles of range and every CT spec and tire we've seen or been able to confirm have had 35s on them.

Don't forget the caveat I mentioned.
***I have 1 caveat to the need for 500 miles of range. 500 miles is not as necessary as the infrastructure gets built out and as charging becomes faster. Having said that. I don't see any plans for future superchargers in the area I need them to be. I know they will eventually get there, but it won't be a priority for a while. Maybe I'll only have to hold a hard line at 350 miles of range for my second CT 20 years from now***

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
@Tinker71 maybe those people just want something out of the EV truck market that matches the range their ICE truck can do today. Not unreasonable considering the release for the CT3 was for 500+ miles of range and every CT spec and tire we've seen or been able to confirm have had 35s on them.

Don't forget the caveat I mentioned.
Everybody can demand what they want or move on. In fairness the other dude also had a caveat if the supercharging was super by release he might go as low as 350 miles.

I think it was Charlie Australian man that noted the new specs say "up to 500" mile range. That is a huge change from 500 + miles plus in my mind.

Up to 500 miles to me means - highway tires required to achieve 500.

500+ to me means 500 miles with the AT 35s and more with high efficiency tires.

I will remind folks that the model S drops 30 miles of range going from 19" to 21" wheels. 35s with knobby tread will be more dramatic.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Everybody can demand what they want or move on. In fairness the other dude also had a caveat if the supercharging was super by release he might go as low as 350 miles.

I think it was Charlie Australian man that noted the new specs say "up to 500" mile range. That is a huge change from 500 + miles plus in my mind.

I will remind folks that the model S drops 30 miles of range going from 19" to 21" wheels. 35s with knobby tread will be more dramatic.
EVery one of these points are significant, measurable and address more than a corner case or exception.

These are early daysā€¦still. Unlike CA, EVā€™s everywhere, go anywhere, anytime is not ubiquitous. Other parts and places of the TESLA nation are in buildout phase.

Were I located in IOWA the 500+ mile would be significant fishing through the plains states of SD, ND and MT. Forget Ontario fishing trips across the border.

In the West mountain ranges make 500+ irrelevant the moment a trailer is connected. Nevermind crossing the MX border. Thatā€™s a non-starter.

Itā€™s early days, covered wagon and oxen rough if you are EV stranded. SO these points are significant, real and demand for ICE is EOL(end of life). These pinch points become a serious challenge for EV like Cybertruck that earns its keep. Like those oxen pulling everything you own across the plains over the mountains, thatā€™s where BEV is being accelerated into by war, petroleum prices and OEM lag in transition.

Some of these pinch points matter, regardless EM says 400mi. is all anyone needs. Its not the case yet that EV is parity with ICE fueling, ICE range and saying it ainā€™t so doesnā€™t cut it EM.

Thereā€™s a reason Sauds bought into Lucid. It sure as hell wasnā€™t the Dream or AIR it was range ā€™cuz desert stranded is a hell of a way to go.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
And it's not 300 miles at 70mph. Just like it's not 450 miles at 70mph for my car either. If I got 50mph I can go further, and 70mph shorter.

-Crissa
Oh. Great we already have people doing 10 under and causing a traffic back up and road rage.
Saw it twice this week.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

I thought people would find this interesting. This is from. Energy.gov

IMHO the CT would look weird with anything less than 33" tall tires. The width is apparently less important than the compound and tread design.

Can't wait to see the choices.

Tesla Cybertruck CT end of life 1652973600424

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh. Great we already have people doing 10 under and causing a traffic back up and road rage.
Saw it twice this week.
Road rage is something you bring with you, not caused by someone going slow.

Slow drivers are frustrating, but if a person isnā€™t adult enough to drive safely when they are frustrated they donā€™t belong on the road.

(Not recommending driving 10MPH under at all here, but Iā€™d far rather deal with that than someone he treats their car like a weapon)

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag

Slow drivers are frustrating, but if a person isnā€™t adult enough to drive safely when they are frustrated they donā€™t belong on the road.

(Not recommending driving 10MPH under at all here, but Iā€™d far rather deal with that than someone he treats their car like a weapon)
I just ask that people drive with intent. Act like you got someplace to be or get the eff outta the way. I can't stand when people drive around with seemingly no purpose other than to control the traffic behind them and surf the internet while doing so and then act they are not in the wrong because they are safely traveling at a reasonable speed that happens to be the exact speed of the driver in the lane next to them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Alas, I've come across a few slow drivers that have specifically darted to block anyone passing. One even threw fruit at me while I was stuck behind him.

And I do not tailgate.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag