CT2 vs CT3 Payload

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Wouldn’t tire load rating make the payload different since tires are carrying different load for each trim when empty?
Sure, if that one criteria out of the list I provided happens to be the actual limiting factor. But for that to be true then you have to assume that you know that all 3 versions have different weights. The motors may have different weights, and so may the batteries. But you and I do not know anything beyond a maybe.
Maybe they all have different payload capabilities, but for record keeping, or simplicity, or profits, they set them all to the same number.
Payload ratings from the manufacturer are not necessarily the max load your truck can haul, it's just the max payload the manufacturer ALLOWS you to haul on paper, for their own liability.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Thank you. If I had remembered this, I would not start the thread. But this opens a new can of worms:

How?

<Snip>
Not a new can of worms! First principles “ unsprung mass”!

The lower the load weight rating – lower the unsprung mass required.

CT1 with no front axel motor assembly reduces its unsprung mass. It cannot carry CT3 rated load capacity without adding more mass to counteract the extra added weight.

Unsprung mass explains why other report rough riding trucks when driven empty unloaded.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Look at the numbers again. I wasn't referring to a 1500 or 2500. The numbers are in pounds. 2000 pounds is one ton. 1500 pounds is 3/4 ton. 1000 pounds is 1/2 ton. So, yes, in the modern truck world 1500 pounds is still 3/4 ton even if a chevy 1500 may have a larger payload. It'll still ride down the highway with it's nose in the air if you try it.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Thank you. If I had remembered this, I would not start the thread. But this opens a new can of worms:

How?

Does CT3 use a more energy dense battery that has the same weight? Do all three weigh the same?

Does CT1 has higher payload and they didn't want to list it so you feel better about paying more for CT3?

Or the payload is the same because the weak link is something like breaks/regen system

I was just horsing around. I know nothing about track.
Don't take me too seriously. I was too. Can you imagine trying to go as fast as you can down a 1/4 mile and thinking extra weight would be a good thing?!

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Not a new can of worms! First principles “ unsprung mass”!

The lower the load weight rating – lower the unsprung mass required.

CT1 with no front axel motor assembly reduces its unsprung mass. It cannot carry CT3 rated load capacity without adding more mass to counteract the extra added weight.

Unsprung mass explains why other report rough riding trucks when driven empty unloaded.
Um, I think you are mixing your descriptions. "Unsprung" weight refers to the parts of the suspension, brakes, steering, and drive train not suspended on the springs and shock absorbers. Everything else, engine, transmission, passengers, body and frame, and payload are all sprung weight. As for the payload capacity of a pickup, it is determined by the rating of the springs, the tire capacity rating, and the design of the load bearing suspension. The effect you mention in the last sentence is due to the stiffness of the unloaded spring based suspension designed to carry heavy loads. Even a hundred pounds placed over the rear axle in the bed will attenuate the bumpy ride associated with heavy duty suspensions.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Um, I think you are mixing your descriptions. "Unsprung" weight refers to the parts of the suspension, brakes, steering, and drive train not suspended on the springs and shock absorbers. Everything else, engine, transmission, passengers, body and frame, and payload are all sprung weight. As for the payload capacity of a pickup, it is determined by the rating of the springs, the tire capacity rating, and the design of the load bearing suspension. The effect you mention in the last sentence is due to the stiffness of the unloaded spring based suspension designed to carry heavy loads. Even a hundred pounds placed over the rear axle in the bed will attenuate the bumpy ride associated with heavy duty suspensions.
My bad. Rule of thumb 10 lbs. unsprung weight per 100 lbs. cargo weight.
Sponsored