Deleted member 12457

I don’t like it. A lot of the updated info coming out for the CT keeps taking it away from work truck and more toward off road warrior for the current Tacoma owning IT guy. It is cute though and there is a huge market for off-road accessories, but what bugs me is that you don’t really need a truck to be a great off-road vehicle. If I had to guess, probably 75% of trucks are actually sold to people that use them for work and 25% for recreation or daily drivers. Here is what I don’t like. First off the CT bed is already hard to reach into and that rack exacerbates that issue. Next, a major use if not the main use of racks is to get stuff on the truck that is significantly longer than the bed. This rack support is the same length as the bed. So you maybe get 10’ stuff on there with 2ish feet unsupported. I guess that’s cute for the weekend warrior or the guy taking a kayak out, but again, I am excited to start seeing stuff that says the CT is a work horse. I think that’s where Fords edge will be if they can hold it is tailoring their EV trucks toward work.
I don't remember Tesla saying the CT was going to be a work truck. It's always been shown as an off-road truck. Yes, it can and will be used as a work truck (stripped, base model F-150) but most work truck owners aren't going to spend the amount of money the CT will cost. Some will but most won't. The CT compares to the most expensive, fully out-fitted F-150 crowd. As for this rack, it starts at the peak of the roofline so it's at least 8-ft long, maybe longer. Most rack will go in front of the windshield so a custom rack could easily be 10-ft long. The shown rack is more than just the bed, which is at least 6-ft long. The CT, like all Tesla models, start out with a premium configuration. Once established, Tesla might create a work pickup equivalent to the proposed Model 2, a less expensive, less powerful vehicle. All the power outlets in the bed will be used mainly for recreational use, not necessarily work use. As for Ford, GM, Stellantis (RAM) lets see if they are even in existence in four years.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Rack on Cybertruck was made by Tesla but is not announced as an official product.
There will be accessories by Tesla.

Tesla Lithium Groundbreaking
2023May08
Tesla

Cybertruck and Tesla Lithium Refinery Groundbreaking
2023May08
Ellie in Space

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I hope there are more things available besides shovels. What about camping accessories?
Exactly.

It may not be the finished product, but I was great to see.

I envisaged a 270 degree awning on one side, and Maxtrax on the other.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
OMG, that is just sooooo dope!!!

Dave Miller

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
Hardscape contractor and property management
Country flag
I don't remember Tesla saying the CT was going to be a work truck. It's always been shown as an off-road truck. Yes, it can and will be used as a work truck (stripped, base model F-150) but most work truck owners aren't going to spend the amount of money the CT will cost. Some will but most won't. The CT compares to the most expensive, fully out-fitted F-150 crowd. As for this rack, it starts at the peak of the roofline so it's at least 8-ft long, maybe longer. Most rack will go in front of the windshield so a custom rack could easily be 10-ft long. The shown rack is more than just the bed, which is at least 6-ft long. The CT, like all Tesla models, start out with a premium configuration. Once established, Tesla might create a work pickup equivalent to the proposed Model 2, a less expensive, less powerful vehicle. All the power outlets in the bed will be used mainly for recreational use, not necessarily work use. As for Ford, GM, Stellantis (RAM) lets see if they are even in existence in four years.
If these trucks are to be sold in high quantities they need to be designed for work. Very few people purposely take their trucks off road. If you use your truck for work, even sporadically, then sometimes you end up in the mud. Look some people like the ascetic of the off road truck but they will still use it in a work setting or just cruise down the road with it.
In the end trucks need to be able to go to work, with some off road capability. If you want some good resale value you better be able to resell it to the local handyman or landscaper.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Boring. We all knew aftermarkets racks would be made. I want bonafide specs on the truck itself, pricing, roll out plans, etc.

Having said that, I do like that we got to see something without some dumb announcement that something would be mentioned months in advance and then we speculate on it for those months. We just need more of this, more often, more I say!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Since the sides of the CT are straight,
wouldn’t bet on that

From overhead, the ‘table’ on top of the sails is V-shaped, narrowest at the cab peak, and widening towards the tailgate

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck bed rack / tool rack + accessories (shovels) first look! 🧰 EFDE5B11-50CF-4FF7-B8DB-CED251A1F46C

and from the side, the peak to the tailgate has a slight curvature

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck bed rack / tool rack + accessories (shovels) first look! 🧰 32CAE8D5-15DD-43BC-97B0-857A72EA50A2

easy *enough* to address, but I wouldn’t load up on straight stock

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
most work truck owners aren't going to spend the amount of money the CT will cost.
Go play with a configuration tool on the Ford/gm/dodge/Toyota website and see just how pricey trucks get these days, and that's before dealer markup.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Definitely a one off for the event.

But plasma cutter/water jet cut panels, some tubes for re-inforcement and cross bracing, welding, and powder coating or bedliner... Not sure why it needs to look expensive to get the job done.

The holes (probably to help lighten it up) also gives a wide variety of attachment points.

But the braces into the bed? Complete no go, which is probably why this is just a one off for the event.
Sponsored