Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If FSD doesn't follow the vehicle, then technically its cost is not included in the original for the purposes of depreciation.

Because you still have it.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I reserved a tri motor CT as the site went live, but the longer I own a Tesla the more I dislike the companies practices.

I purchased a 2019 model M3 med range in February of 2019. The next month they discontinued it. Huge depreciation. Now with updates (the SR battery now has a longer range), new upgrades/features and price drops to LR and SR models my MR has depreciated over $20000 in value. Its even listed in KBB as the cheapest.

Will this behavior continue with CT? Should early adopters of their new Truck be put through this same bullshit.

I get tech improves. But the worst thing they can do is drop the prices. Just come out with a lower end model.
I think you can count of some of that sort of thing happening with the CT, but that is kind of expected with a first run vehicle. I'm sure better cheaper versions will arrive in the next couple of years...I'm thinking the original tri-motors will remain pretty awesome like the early model S.

First Name
Hamish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck pre order
Occupation
Justice
Country flag
I reserved a tri motor CT as the site went live, but the longer I own a Tesla the more I dislike the companies practices.
I hear where you are coming from. I think that with a fast moving company such as Tesla this will continue to happen. And to be honest that's why Iike Tesla. They mke constant improvements to prices and features.

I have ordered a cybertruck knowing that it will be out of date a couple of years after receiving it. I'm ok with this as I intend to keep the cybertruck until I die. It will be my last new vehicle.

I'm also about sitting in the preorder list at about 1 million so I feel much of the initial changes will be made by the time I receive mine. If we get cybertruck in Australia at all that is!

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I have ordered a cybertruck knowing that it will be out of date a couple of years after receiving it.
I keep seeing this sentiment and I'm trying to figure out how the truck will be any less of a truck in that time. Maybe some components will need replacing, but last I checked my current truck needs fresh oil 4 or 5 times a year.

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I get that when Tesla lowers the price of their vehicles the depreciation gets worse, however, Teslas do tend to hold their value more. And with the Cybertruck, it's SO different from other vehicles that people might just want it for the looks and it will have great tech no matter what, so depreciation might be different.

And totally off topic but I have a request; Tesla should make different buying options for their FSD. Its price keeps increasing to the point that it's not really reasonable. I don't care for true FSD through town because I enjoy driving and I know how to turn at a red light, Autopilot is more than enough. However, I'd like Auto Park and Summon. He should make FSD like 5 grand and Summon like 2 and Auto Park like 1. Get what I mean?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
And totally off topic but I have a request; Tesla should make different buying options for their FSD. Its price keeps increasing to the point that it's not really reasonable. I don't care for true FSD through town because I enjoy driving and I know how to turn at a red light, Autopilot is more than enough. However, I'd like Auto Park and Summon. He should make FSD like 5 grand and Summon like 2 and Auto Park like 1. Get what I mean?
Good news for you, Tiered autopilot is being released soon. There's a new midline version being added with some features and not others: https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...-autopilot-alternative-full-self-driving/amp/

OP
OP
Bankercobb

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, M3P, MY, MS Plaid, i7, CT day 1 FS ordered
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
Buy whatever narrative you want. The fact is my M3 has depreciated more than an equivalent ICE vehicle. No reason for a quality vehicle in great condition to have a more than an 7k loss of value a year. I've tried selling my Model 3 for the last month and I can't get 33k for it. I paid over 52. Might have been closer to 55k, either way. Tesla should come out with cheaper versions or more expensive versions, not reduce price.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
A BMW holds its value better than Tesla.
Not to be a dick, but this is laughable. And I'm a BMW owner.

BMWs have AWFUL resale values. Failed transfer cases (I'm on my third), DPFs with a finite life of 175k miles ($2880), 10 exhaust sensors that never seem to last more than 2 years (thank goodness for FCP Euro's return policy!), DEF pump failures ($900).

I have 190K miles on my F31 and it's one of the highest mileage cars the BMW dealers has worked on recently (aforementioned transfer case). They are literally "disposable" per their shop foreman.

I put 600k on my previous car, a Jetta TDI. That was a good car.

The CT will be my last car purchase (other than toys). I plan to (and mathematically can) put a million miles on it.

OP
OP
Bankercobb

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, M3P, MY, MS Plaid, i7, CT day 1 FS ordered
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
Not to be a dick, but this is laughable. And I'm a BMW owner.

BMWs have AWFUL resale values. Failed transfer cases (I'm on my third), DPFs with a finite life of 175k miles ($2880), 10 exhaust sensors that never seem to last more than 2 years (thank goodness for FCP Euro's return policy!), DEF pump failures ($900).

I have 190K miles on my F31 and it's one of the highest mileage cars the BMW dealers has worked on recently (aforementioned transfer case). They are literally "disposable" per their shop foreman.

I put 600k on my previous car, a Jetta TDI. That was a good car.

The CT will be my last car purchase (other than toys). I plan to (and mathematically can) put a million miles on it.
Everyone has experience on both ends of the spectrum. My Jetta in 2005 was a lemon. My BMW only had a seat thread issue. My Tesla has been in the shop or had home service 8 times in the first 10 months. I thought it was all fixed and I've had to bring it back 2 more times since July. My Acura is a POS too though...

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Interesting discussion. I just ordered a
model 3 and went for a new one because the price was so close to similar used ones I was finding. Hopefully, I will get some of the latest features like the octo-valve, new center console, power trunk release, et. al.
I also have a BMW which I have had zero problems with and I love to drive, but it is worth sickeningly little. It is almost exactly 18 years old. After the CT, I will probably keep it as a “spare car” or to teach my kids how to drive a manual. I am also thinking that the CT might be the last vehicle I buy, but then I think of the VTOLs that may one day arrive...
I have never purchased a car that I expected to only have for a few years. If I did that, I might consider a lease. The CT will still be able to haul people and furniture, tow a trailer, go off-road, etc. no matter what the KBB value says.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A couple of years after owning it? It will be out of date when it is delivered to you. Thus is it ever with high tech.
In fact, with all mature auto companies, it was out of date before they began manufacture because they have continuous design to support vehicles coming out next year, the year after that, etc. Tesla won’t, at least not for a while. Again, buy for the functionality and not as an investment.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Any one ever buy a personal computer?

Buy it. Take it home. 3 months later it is now selling cheaper with more memory, a faster processor, and new features. Sounds just like a Tesla. You can accept reality of the modern tech world or hold on to your flip phone waiting for stasis. You are going to grow very old before that happens.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
If your new Tesla, appreciates in nominal dollars after two years of ownership, you should be worried about hyperinflation with rising interest rates as the national debt comes due and the world changes to a new trade currency. No one buys new cars as an investment.
Sponsored