Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would expect it to be laminated, no matter the glass it's made from.
Yes.

That's the whole point of this video. Pretty sure they have Cybertruck specific patents showing their acoustic laminated glass.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The impact proof glass patent is in fact a laminate.

Tesla’s multi-layer glass stack is comprised of the following: an inner-facing layer that has been chemically strengthened with high strength in flexibility. It measures between .5 and 1.1 millimeters thick and has an adhesive interlayer, which conjoins it to an outer-facing layer that has energy absorptive properties. The outer layer includes “non-soda lime, low-CTE, high densification glass” that measures between 2 and 5 millimeters thick. The two layers and then joined together by the energy absorbent adhesive. The outer layer is comprised of borosilicate, a low-melting-point glass made from silica and boric oxide that is more resistant to thermal shock than any other common glass.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-armor-glass-patent/

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The wife is a yard sale addict. I was forced to pull over again. Next thing I know a kid is throwing rocks at the windshield. As soon as his mom noticed I saw it, she told the kid with a gentle voice, you shouldn't do that. The kid looked surprised like it was the first time he had heard those words. I checked the windshield quickly and could not find anything. Next day, I had a big crack across the windshield. I sure hope that big ass glass is brat proof because I seriously doubt the dude that replaced my last one can handle this.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Police Officer
Country flag
Looks alot like a cybertruck windshield with uncut sections still on it. Kind of like a manufacturing blank before it’s cut to exact dimensions.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Last edited:

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I can't believe no one here has linked Rob Mauer's video yet. @ the 5:09 mark he talks about what in that picture makes him thinks it is the CT windsheild.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
How is it clearly a laminate? I mean, there's some sort of coating that has the shading on it, but is there anything I missed?

Also, why wouldn't ALON by laminated?

I would expect it to be laminated, no matter the glass it's made from.

-Crissa
'Clearly' because the video was talking about how all their glass is laminates, and from all the documentation Alon is a multi-layer laminate. My comment was not really about laminates because whatever that glass is it is definitely a laminate. My comment was about how one might differentiate between one laminate and another by looking at them as in the video.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Wiper would be passenger side I believe, but excellent mark up!
Do you guys really think that Tesla would use a traditional wiper on the CT after filing 2 patent applications for other designs? I am inclined to think they would use the linear wiper idea but the mount might be similar.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wiper would be passenger side I believe, but excellent mark up!
For that size windshield I don't think you could do a single big wiper like that unless it did more than just pivot. The arc in the illustration shows why. The wiper on the semi does more of a side-side action.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Do you guys really think that Tesla would use a traditional wiper on the CT after filing 2 patent applications for other designs? I am inclined to think they would use the linear wiper idea but the mount might be similar.
I have no idea what Tesla is going to do on the Cybertruck. Patents are often red herrings. Filed but never used or used in a product 2-3 generations out.

The linear wiper idea is certainly intriguing.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I sincerely hope not! I am more in line with the idea that the window is "trimmed to fit" at installation... But even that seems ridiculous with the type of technologies Tesla is employing during manufacturing...
Sponsored