Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Destination charger? And how much does it charge to park and charge there? How many spots are devoted to these chargers, compared to EVs in the parking lot?

I didn't say that cars didn't charge. Just that in the vast majority of driving, they do not charge away from home. This is the inverse of gasoline powered cars.

And the profit per car is much, much lower for charging stations than gas stations. Not to mention each one can service far fewer cars.

-Crissa
You made part of my point. 1) Having formerly worked in the industry, most filling stations do not make their money selling gas. They make it selling the crap you buy waiting to pay for your gas after you hit the head.

2) There needs to be a transition. You won’t sell electricity if you don’t have the stalls to do it. Start adding stalls now as EVs are coming.

3) Some of the destination chargers are a nominal cost, some — one Tesla charger at a local mall inside the parking garage nearby me — is free. Yeah, free. I have not checked them all. I just look now if I have time and notice them and I am noticing them more often. Some have two stalls and some have four. At least the ones I have seen here.

Build them and they will come. I said before that the switch to EV is a decades long endeavor.We have to start somewhere, sometime. The companies farsighted enough to start early will be those that succeed.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
3) Some of the destination chargers are a nominal cost, some — one Tesla charger at a local mall inside the parking garage nearby me — is free. Yeah, free.
I haven't surveyed them by any means but most of the destination chargers I know about are free. The one's that aren't seem to get marked on PlugShare as "Fee for this charger - go to the StickyMart two blocks away".

Build them and they will come.
The point of my earlier post is that, with the exception of a few in places like Paramus, N.J. they have built them and nobody comes. Not that I have surveyed them by any stretch of the immagination but most of the time when I use a SC I am the only car in it. From this I conclude that Tesla does not need more chargers. They need more geographical diversity. If you took half the stalls from each station and relocated them halfway between the station you took them from and the nearest station that would give drivers more flexibility in where they could stop.

I said before that the switch to EV is a decades long endeavor.We have to start somewhere, sometime. The companies farsighted enough to start early will be those that succeed.
I'm going to give Tesla credit for being foresighted and it has clearly paid off. Certainly the SC network is a maifestation of Musk's genius and one of Tesla's most powerful marketing tools. If others players want to be in the game then they are going to have to come up to speed. And Tesla cannot rest on its laurels either.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Of course the charging stalls are usually empty. The same is true of gasoline pumps, too. Most of the time, they aren't being used.

That's because sometimes, there's a line, and you never want a line for EVs. So you need to build for peak usage on the route - vehicles arriving per minute - not median usage. Besides, most of the expense is getting the power and permits, not the chargers themselves.

-Crissa
Sponsored