cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The number indicated on the screen for the charging session that I'm referring to is the actual amount added to the pack - the amount of energy lost during transmission is also reflected just in a different area on the screen or in the app. I also use Tessie which more easily differentiates between these numbers. So the +94kw is the actual amount of energy added to the pack itself - while the charging session will likely consume an additional 3-9% on top of that depending on the efficiency of the charging session.
hmm interesting

looking forward to the finalized EPA reports
Sponsored

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
Um no. I road trip in my X all the time with no problems. Just takes some additional planning on ur charging stops. Not rocket science.

It will be the same as for CT except better bc of the powers share and off road capabilities.
Road trips with planning weren't a concern, going from home to work and back, loading up a bunch of gear and trying to get our of town before traffic hits to go somewhere where there aren't going to be many chargers to set up camp before it gets too dark is my concern.

A good many of my friends all have ICE vehicles that are more than capable of doing that and are just as off-road capable if not more. If a 500 mile cybertruck had been made it would be able to last a weekend, with real-world mileage of 180 San Diegans can't even make it to Big Bear and back even if it's just parked for the weekend. Doing any kind of boondocking even in Anza Borrego with a trailer is looking unfeasible while keeping a job.

I would really love to be wrong, and I'm sure it can be done and will just need a hefty amount of compromise to make it work.

Use case:
Commute ~15 miles, car sits all day, commute ~15 miles home
30 minute turnaround time at home to get everything loaded and hit the bathroom
Be on the road around 5-5:30pm to miss traffic and time to make dinner at camp without getting hangry
Drive (preferably with trailer) for 100 to 200 miles (if no trailer keep with the flow of traffic in left lane, aka 75ish mph)
Spend most of Saturday and part of Sunday off-roading
Drive back

Spending part of Saturday driving out to the nearest charge point would suck, spending part of the ride home Sunday wouldn't be the worst but still a bummer. It's sounding like the Cybertruck won't even be able to make it to camp!

Pretty much all ICE trucks can handle this standard Weekend Warrior trip with absolutely no issues or thoughts given other than fueling up Thursday night after work.

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Road trips with planning weren't a concern, going from home to work and back, loading up a bunch of gear and trying to get our of town before traffic hits to go somewhere where there aren't going to be many chargers to set up camp before it gets too dark is my concern.

A good many of my friends all have ICE vehicles that are more than capable of doing that and are just as off-road capable if not more. If a 500 mile cybertruck had been made it would be able to last a weekend, with real-world mileage of 180 San Diegans can't even make it to Big Bear and back even if it's just parked for the weekend. Doing any kind of boondocking even in Anza Borrego with a trailer is looking unfeasible while keeping a job.

I would really love to be wrong, and I'm sure it can be done and will just need a hefty amount of compromise to make it work.

Use case:
Commute ~15 miles, car sits all day, commute ~15 miles home
30 minute turnaround time at home to get everything loaded and hit the bathroom
Be on the road around 5-5:30pm to miss traffic and time to make dinner at camp without getting hangry
Drive (preferably with trailer) for 100 to 200 miles (if no trailer keep with the flow of traffic in left lane, aka 75ish mph)
Spend most of Saturday and part of Sunday off-roading
Drive back

Spending part of Saturday driving out to the nearest charge point would suck, spending part of the ride home Sunday wouldn't be the worst but still a bummer. It's sounding like the Cybertruck won't even be able to make it to camp!

Pretty much all ICE trucks can handle this standard Weekend Warrior trip with absolutely no issues or thoughts given other than fueling up Thursday night after work.
I think the bottom line is that no EV pickup on the market today is really designed for truck people that do truck things. From the statistics I've seen - the majority of EV pickup buyers are not previous ICE pickup owners actually - they have never owned a pickup before. Many come from either cars or SUVs or minivans it seems. The CT will likely become popular with soccer moms for example. I think this is the new minivan buyer by and large. People who buy trucks to do truck things - like towing/hauling/off-roading - will likely stick with ICE or hybrid rides at least in the near term, partly for the reasons you outline above. My ICE pickup can go 600 miles on a full tank without much trouble - and we oftentimes drive for hours on longer roadtrips without stopping, and if we do stop - it's for 5-10 minutes for a quick bathroom break and then we're back on the road. I was hopeful that the 500 mile CT would at least be worthy of consideration with this in mind, but alas, it's way over what I'm willing to spend ($100k plus) and with only 318 miles (which we all know is really more like 250 miles), it's just not in the cards for me unfortunately. Hopefully we'll see battery tech breakthroughs that offer better options in 2-3 years or so.

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
The great part about freeway driving in Southern California is that you're going to average 25 mph no matter what, so you get good efficiency in an EV. Now if only I could watch Netflix while Autopilot crawls me along in this:

Tesla Cybertruck Efficiency report: 76 kWh over 190 miles (402Wh/mi) on highway in Cybertruck dual-motor AWD 1704317887611

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
The great part about freeway driving in Southern California is that you're going to average 25 mph no matter what, so you get good efficiency in an EV. Now if only I could watch Netflix while Autopilot crawls me along in this:

1704317887611.png
It was the dream to Autopilot out of town, but with having cybertruck FSD as "least priority" from Elon, it might never get worked on

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
It was the dream to Autopilot out of town, but with having cybertruck FSD as "least priority" from Elon, it might never get worked on
I think that the FSD computer still needs to learn a lot about the Cybertruck's driving characteristics before it can take over. How many miles collectively have all Cybertrucks in existence been driven? To me it would make a lot of sense for them to collect data extensively for the first year to "teach" the FSD how to drive a Cybertruck instead of letting the FSD computer loose like a 15 year old with a learner's permit and start getting crashes (and the bad PR that comes with those)

To put it another way, I wouldn't expect to be able to transplant your brain into an NBA player's body and you could just get up and start slam dunking. You might need a year just to learn how to walk!

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
I think that the FSD computer still needs to learn a lot about the Cybertruck's driving characteristics before it can take over. How many miles collectively have all Cybertrucks in existence been driven? To me it would make a lot of sense for them to collect data extensively for the first year to "teach" the FSD how to drive a Cybertruck instead of letting the FSD computer loose like a 15 year old with a learner's permit and start getting crashes (and the bad PR that comes with those)

To put it another way, I wouldn't expect to be able to transplant your brain into an NBA player's body and you could just get up and start slam dunking. You might need a year just to learn how to walk!
I had figured that all the cars were using the same FSD software, and the controls were abstracted away. I now wonder if the different models have different driving characteristics...

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
I had figured that all the cars were using the same FSD software, and the controls were abstracted away. I now wonder if the different models have different driving characteristics...
Well for one, none of the other cars have 4 wheel steering or steer by wire. But also it's not just about what command you send to the throttle or steering or braking, but the computer needs to anticipate how the vehicle will respond to that. When I'm traveling at 70 mph but with a gusty tailwind and I apply 37% force to the brakes, how quickly does the truck decelerate? That's not something that you can model in software, it just takes a crapload of data collected from thousands of drivers over thousands of miles before the computer can confidently predict how the vehicle will react to various steering, throttle, and brake inputs.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I went down this path with a EPA / Tesla numbers geek on TMC. The below is from the Tesla website CT order page where you can click on learn-more in their gas equivalent info. See the post right above yours that show the 'reverse engineering' formula and ~129 kWh as gross.
Tesla gas equiv. details: Cybertruck All-Wheel Drive consumption rating = 42.9 kWh/100mi
but, as w the EPA data, I believe (1) the energy disbursed by the charger does not equal the energy accepted by the pack (eg the charger doesn’t know what the charge efficiency losses total), and (2) whatever those losses are, aren’t evenly distributed across the whole charge curve, and can in fact be back loaded (eg more efficiency losses in the last 10% than the first 10%)
I think with Kyle/OutOfSpec* video running it down to 123 kWh (124 pushing it HARD?)
that we know the usable is 123 kWh now. [Covered 254 miles at ~2.05 m/kWh efficiency]

This app was impressively "on" at 256.

DotBrgv.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: