Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Plants get about 6% with photosynthesis.

-Crissa
Some algae up to 95% of available light... of course they live in low light environments so the band width is filtered
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Does it? Will you notice 3% at all? I doubt Elon will be happy with losing 3% of cargo/passenger space, so it probably didn't lose that.

-Crissa
Launch photos showed a cavernous CT inside. You are not going to notice nor be cramped in 77” O.A. should CT narrow. My Chev Tahoe == 77” O.A. It is generous for 5 large adults.

Cargo bed remains 6.5 LF. Tesla must compete on industry standard spec. There is no imperative to change height O.A. Length is a hard parameter with safety first design.

No one wants an El Camino or Ranchero. So I just don’t see Tesla carving away passenger volume to shave length O.A.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I was just horsing around. You mentioned shrinkage. I thought you may get a chuckle out of a Seinfeld reference. It was a failed joke.

I wouldn’t dismiss the truck until you see it. They may get creative with the design. They may shave off the width from the plastic around the wheel. you may not feel the difference as much as you think. Give it a chance
The first thing that came to mind when shrinkage is mentioned is the Seinfeld episode when the gang goes on a trip to the Hamptons and after being in cold water Elaine's friend walked in on George in a bathroom who was naked and starts laughing at him and of course George was being very dramatic

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Did anyone else notice the comment of the Cybertruck range only being up to 300-something because of aerodynamics?! I'm going to cry if my tri-motor doesnt come close to 500 like originally suggested.
My guess is Elon was referring to the lowest range CT

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
My guess is Elon was referring to the lowest range CT
Lowest range was listed at 250, but would be nice if they did get that one up to 300. Heck, if they would push the dual motor to 400, I'd likely change my tri order to a dual.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I'm really glad about the size reduction as long as it doesnt affect the size of the bed. I don't want some giant thing on the road, i just need to get the job done. Pick-ups today are unnecessarily large.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
Did anyone else notice the comment of the Cybertruck range only being up to 300-something because of aerodynamics?! I'm going to cry if my tri-motor doesnt come close to 500 like originally suggested.
He did say he was talking about the base model ~ which os an incredible upgrade from 250 miles!

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Or remove the single motor and have only dual and tri. As I thought he said at start 300... like other models no says there will be a single motor... then later removing it. For those that say a smaller CT is ok, or that trucks are too big as is.. I'm assuming are currently not Truck owners... at least to fully utilize trucks as trucks. End of that day this is NOT a sedan or crossover. It's a CyberTruck which should be BadA$$. Sorry if the truth hurts but I don't care of "what if's" as there are thousands of what if's.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I have heard his name before but never watched any of this stuff. Is his deal that he brings in a guest as an audience and then just goes adlib about anything while the guest gets uncomfortable? ?

Anyway, CT being too big for the boring tunnel seems like a really bad reason. Is the Boring Company really trying to get all these big tunneling jobs without being able to adjust the size of the tunnel they offer? Was the test tunnel perfect and the limiting factor for all their designs now? I’m sure there were other reasons for the shrinkage. One reason could be to make it just a notch closer to a world truck as they’re usually smaller elsewhere, while still keeping essential bed size etc. Another could be to fit inside a typical (full size) garage. Or maybe there was some “wasted” space in the 3% bigger one. Maybe wind tunnel testing dictated resizing? Is it more proportional design-wise now? I don’t know but that just sounded like a good anecdote, like the one about him ordering the rockets to be more pointy because of a movie.

Nice to get some new info though. Thanks!
Only dude who’s never heard of Joe Rogan ?
Or remove the single motor and have only dual and tri. As I thought he said at start 300... like other models no says there will be a single motor... then later removing it. For those that say a smaller CT is ok, or that trucks are too big as is.. I'm assuming are currently not Truck owners... at least to fully utilize trucks as trucks. End of that day this is NOT a sedan or crossover. It's a CyberTruck which should be BadA$$. Sorry if the truth hurts but I don't care of "what if's" as there are thousands of what if's.
I don’t think they will drop the single motor for a while. My limited understanding of the economics of it suggest that they are really banking on the single motor for fleet sales and commercial useage, not to mention getting that base price for a crew cab below 40k to keep it on par with the F150 and competitors.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
For anyone interested, do a google search of "perovskite solar cells". 40% efficiency seems like it may not be too far away. More efficient, inexpensive, flexible, works in low light.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/energy/solar-energy-perovskites-spc-intl/index.html
This is fantastic if it works, I love seeing the free market and social capitalism solving this. First step is more efficient panels, step 2, figure out how to scale and make them affordable to mass produce and incorporate into building construction.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I don’t think they will drop the single motor for a while. My limited understanding of the economics of it suggest that they are really banking on the single motor for fleet sales and commercial useage, not to mention getting that base price for a crew cab below 40k to keep it on par with the F150 and competitors.
Now that Single would be coming out last instead of first, due to demand. By the time the single would come out the eF150 *should* be out and this that would be Tesla's competitor. And no longer the ICE F150.

I'm not saying don't get the Single, I'm just looking at history and timeliness of releases.

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
I think the juice is not worth the squeeze for CT manufacturing because the largest surface to work with is broken to small moving pieces and it is probably a pain to work with. As a customer, I still would want it on the hood at least no matter how small the charge is (Provided, it does not add too much to the cost). Tesla loses charge overnight. Just getting that back during the day would be nice. I am sure there would be aftermarket solutions.

one after market thought; I think you could have a flexible rolled solar cell at the tailgate. Attach it to the vault cover when you want sun juice. Opening the vault would roll it out for use. That way it does not have to be a part of the vault cover.
I would like to see a Stainless Steel roof with solar option on there and the Frunk lid which would be more practical and less prone to wear and damage.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
He did say he was talking about the base model ~ which os an incredible upgrade from 250 miles!
If the 250 mile base model does come out closer to 300 miles instead, that would be amazing.

Patiently waiting from my TriMotor...

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I don't understand the fascination with solar panels on top. Maybe you can charge all day to crawl a few miles at night like a Martian rover. It might be a nice capability if you're trying to stay off the grid in the Gobi Desert and don't have any time constraints.
Sponsored