Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The stainless is double the cost of carbon steel. And the 3mm plate is 3x the weight. So it’s 6x more expensive just for the material and don’t go to the big what about the rockets. Elon buys a lot of both and is getting deals on both. I think this stainless exoskeleton is going to be an eye opener for Tesla and not as simplifying in production and magical as it was made to seem. I think they are still going to have stamped interior body parts that the panels attach to. I think in the end they are going to realize it’s way more expensive to do this stainless idea and that’s why Munro is betting that this will be their one and only stainless vehicle. It just doesn’t make financial sense and it’s a sales pitch just like the dramatic look of the truck. If the CT wasn’t stainless it would be about 25% less cool. Let’s see how repairing those stainless panels goes for simple accidents and see how we all like the stainless then.
You think you have some insight Munro or the Tesla engineers lack?

Forgive me for being a bit skeptical. These guys are paid huge sums of money for their expertise. This isn't just some pipe dream a college student sketched up.

I don't think this design is going to spread like wildfire as some seem to think, but I suspect the Cybertruck will be just fine.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound so dismissive. Given Tesla's history with missing estimates and deadlines, they clearly miss the mark on occasion.
Sponsored

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Munro is betting that this will be their one and only stainless vehicle.
I listen to all of Sandy Munro's videos and do not remember hearing Sandy say he thought the Cybertruck would be the only stainless steel vehicle from Tesla.

Could someone post a link to where Sandy said that?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The stainless is double the cost of carbon steel. And the 3mm plate is 3x the weight. So it’s 6x more expensive just for the material and don’t go to the big what about the rockets. Elon buys a lot of both and is getting deals on both. I think this stainless exoskeleton is going to be an eye opener for Tesla and not as simplifying in production and magical as it was made to seem. I think they are still going to have stamped interior body parts that the panels attach to. I think in the end they are going to realize it’s way more expensive to do this stainless idea and that’s why Munro is betting that this will be their one and only stainless vehicle. It just doesn’t make financial sense and it’s a sales pitch just like the dramatic look of the truck. If the CT wasn’t stainless it would be about 25% less cool. Let’s see how repairing those stainless panels goes for simple accidents and see how we all like the stainless then.
I have not seen any real evidence that the exoskeleton will be cheaper. Sure we save a quick $2000 on paint, but then we start deducting savings from there. (material cost, new manufacturing processes etc.)

The other thing is the doors, hood, tailgate, and sail access covers don't really add any real strength since they are hinged. Just weight. That is the bulk of the 3mm construction. So that leaves the pillars, glass, the structural pack, some quarter panels and the pressed interior pieces (1mm? wheel wells etc.) to provide most of the strength for the front of the vehicle. The box and the bed will add some strength to the rear which is important for payload. I also wonder if the inside of the bed will be 3mm, I am guessing stamped 1 mm stuff, maybe a little thicker.

The bullet resistance, corrosion resistance and general durability might make the case for the SS on the CT but I don't think we will see many more SS vehicles. It doesn't make sense for a sedan, cross over or sports car.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have not seen any real evidence that the exoskeleton will be cheaper. Sure we save a quick $2000 on paint, but then we start deducting savings from there. (material cost, new manufacturing processes etc.)

The other thing is the doors, hood, tailgate, and sail access covers don't really add any real strength since they are hinged. Just weight. That is the bulk of the 3mm construction. So that leaves the pillars, glass, the structural pack, some quarter panels and the pressed interior pieces (1mm? wheel wells etc.) to provide most of the strength for the front of the vehicle. The box and the bed will add some strength to the rear which is important for payload. I also wonder if the inside of the bed will be 3mm, I am guessing stamped 1 mm stuff, maybe a little thicker.

The bullet resistance, corrosion resistance and general durability might make the case for the SS on the CT but I don't think we will see many more SS vehicles. It doesn't make sense for a sedan, cross over or sports car.

I agree not sports car but I want no paint, dent resistant, corrosion resistant stainless steel SUV for robotaxis.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I listen to all of Sandy Munro's videos and do not remember hearing Sandy say he thought the Cybertruck would be the only stainless steel vehicle from Tesla.

Could someone post a link to where Sandy said that?
It was on one of his Q&A videos. He seemed to gloss over it and not provide a more technical detail as to why.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Doors do provide strength. They should help the sheer resistance during turning and are essential in creating the safety bubble in collisions.

Of course some pieces will be stamped. Tesla will use the material and method that's best for each. Stamping creates complex strong shapes. But it's not as accurate as folding or as cheap as casting. They all have trade offs.

I really don't understand these arguments ^-^

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
don’t go to the big what about the rockets. Elon buys a lot of both and is getting deals on both.
That is absolutely one of the reasons, driving down material costs through volume given the custom grade of SS they are using.

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Doors do provide strength. They should help the sheer resistance during turning and are essential in creating the safety bubble in collisions.

Of course some pieces will be stamped. Tesla will use the material and method that's best for each. Stamping creates complex strong shapes. But it's not as accurate as folding or as cheap as casting. They all have trade offs.

I really don't understand these arguments ^-^

-Crissa
I agree doors do provide strength. The latch and the hinge make a nice triangle and we rarely see that fail. My point still is that the 3mm stainless on the doors is more for the bragging rights than actual structure. 1 mm doors would provide pretty much the same strength.

Now if we welded the doors shut and entered Dukes of Hazards style that would be strong. I have alway wanted to do that on a restomod convertible. It would force me to do a pull up everytime I got out. Yee Haw.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As I've said before, I think something like this would be an excellent next contender to add to Tesla's exoskeleton, stainless-steel, cybertruck line-up:

chaiywat-niratrop-tesla-cybertruck-suv.jpg
Give me a Cybervan with sliding rear doors (best feature I have ever had on any vehicle with kids), 16" of ground clearance and 500 miles of range with stainless steel exterior. I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for something like that.

Love the concept picture (just needs some sliding doors ;) )!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
There isn’t enough headroom in the ear seats for that.
It would be just outside the rear window, not inside. The window would power down into the rear bulkhead which would fold forward over the folded rear seats.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If it takes 2 hours for paint to dry , we can reduce production time from 10hrs to 8hrs.

Maybe take off another hour for battery pack/casting/exoskeleton/fitout improvement.

7 hrs to produce a Cybertruck.

What relevance to this thread ? Not much.

Just thinking lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would be just outside the rear window, not inside. The window would power down into the rear bulkhead which would fold forward over the folded rear seats.
Comment I replied to said “just above the rear seats…”

Regardless the further back it is, the less room you have. The distance between the bed floor and the vault top at the rear window is about 35 inches. The rear wall is about 21-22 inches tall. A 10” box for rolling up the cover leaves a 4 inch slot for the rear window and puts the mid gate height at about 26 inches. Kind of defeats the purpose. A smaller box helps but you still have the same issue. It also shrinks the vault area which would be tremendously frustrating for people who want to use that space for storage which is the primary purpose of the vault.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Comment I replied to said “just above the rear seats…”

Regardless the further back it is, the less room you have. The distance between the bed floor and the vault top at the rear window is about 35 inches. The rear wall is about 21-22 inches tall. A 10” box for rolling up the cover leaves a 4 inch slot for the rear window and puts the mid gate height at about 26 inches. Kind of defeats the purpose. A smaller box helps but you still have the same issue. It also shrinks the vault area which would be tremendously frustrating for people who want to use that space for storage which is the primary purpose of the vault.
All right you 2 take this to the tonneau thread. But for maybe last words (probably not) my vote is for the tonneau delete option with a small fabric roll up cover and a short roll down window.

zxylene

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3, 2006 BMW 325i, 2009 Lexus LX570, 2005 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Information security engineer
Country flag
I think the Tonneau cover should just follow the roof line of the glass over the rear angle and then go over the top portion of the front windshield that will not be used anyhow unless you are 8 foot tall. It would make a great sun visor. No rolling up, no interference with the bed, the interior would be cooler from shade. they just would need to make sure the tracks evacuate water as needed only what makes it to the sides. It could pull a cloth cover along with it even so it looks nicer on inside.

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
It's a pity Davy Crockett didn't have a Cybertruck, He used to hunt black bears and skin them. I am sure you have all heard of him, he was an American legend. You may not know his Ancestry though so please look at the link below and find out.
https://www.liquisearch.com/davy_crockett/ancestry_and_birth

I remember his theme tune from when I was a kid about 70 years ago. The first line went Davy, Davy Crockett King of the wild frontier.
I am really enjoying this thread now that it is completely divorced from reality. What if Spartucus had a Cybertruck? That would be cool!
Sponsored

Last edited: