First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
"The best part is no part." -Elon
Tesla Cybertruck Folding rear seats (& center seat) confirmed in new Cybertruck patent! Points to possible pass through? CT Mid Gate 1-9-22

Maybe the seats could actually be the wall. The dimensions as seen in the seat patent seem to work.
Here the tonneau rolls high into a 4" canister and the 60/40 seats ARE the wall. The window folds forward and up.
Those who don't want it can just ignore it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
What gives me hope that Tesla will do a midgate is the Silverado midgate setup.

if Tesla wants to compete, then it will need to beat the other EV trucks, and including Silveradro

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
Those folding seats need to stay folding flat though, and maybe even go down a bit as they're folded. Not fold down, and then fold forward. What would make this truck shine is if the rear seats folded flat, and the front passenger and middle seats also folded flat to make a huge flat surface from dashboard to the back of the truck bed. And then if the tailgate could flip down and stay flat as well (not go into ramp position) and another flip up gate came up from the tailgate.... I mean you could have a flatbed that was like 12-15 feet or something.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Those folding seats need to stay folding flat though, and maybe even go down a bit as they're folded. Not fold down, and then fold forward. What would make this truck shine is if the rear seats folded flat, and the front passenger and middle seats also folded flat to make a huge flat surface from dashboard to the back of the truck bed. And then if the tailgate could flip down and stay flat as well (not go into ramp position) and another flip up gate came up from the tailgate.... I mean you could have a flatbed that was like 12-15 feet or something.
Yes... it's what I am thinking.

Lay the seats flat, inflate a thin mattress and viola', a bed !

or/and, The front seats are for lounge /TV/coffee maker/air fryer popcorn. The backseats flat with the mattress half inside & half in the bed.
Perfect for driving-in's with the girlfriend. :cool:

.Still room at the tailgate for the Barbie.

Deleted member 3316

CT Mid Gate 1-9-22.png

Maybe the seats could actually be the wall. The dimensions as seen in the seat patent seem to work.
Here the tonneau rolls high into a 4" canister and the 60/40 seats ARE the wall. The window folds forward and up.
Would there be enough room for the tonneau cover?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
CT Mid Gate 1-9-22.png

"Be water, my friend"

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Would there be enough room for the tonneau cover?
By moving the Tonneau cover up you actually reduce the coiled length by almost half so the diameter of the coil can come down, but not to 4". Not if it is hard stainless slats.

I bet Tesla could come up with a reinforced fabric that would fit in a 4" coil, provide security and aerodynamics. Heck maybe even a solar film.

I have been wondering about the need for the lip overhang for a while. If the prototype worked with out it, why was it added?

Deleted member 3316

By moving the Tonneau cover up you actually reduce the coiled length by almost half so the diameter of the coil can come down, but not to 4". Not if it is hard stainless slats.

I bet Tesla could come up with a reinforced fabric that would fit in a 4" coil, provide security and aerodynamics. Heck maybe even a solar film.

I have been wondering about the need for the lip overhang for a while. If the prototype worked with out it, why was it added?
Did you watch the Monroe live video with Rivian CEO? He stated that the R1T tonneau cover stacks above the gear tunnel. It’s possible that is how it will store within the lip overhang.

Anyone care to calculate the volume required to stack the pieces?

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
All this talk for something that is basic!!!
They just need to "copy & paste" to have a great folding center seat!!

Deleted member 3316

All this talk for something that is basic!!!
They just need to "copy & paste" to have a great folding center seat!!
Not really that basic when you consider the other design considerations… that’s like saying a windscreen or a bumper is simple. Sure they’re simple to the end user but the engineering involved is far from basic.

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
Not really that basic when you consider the other design considerations… that’s like saying a windscreen or a bumper is simple. Sure they’re simple to the end user but the engineering involved is far from basic.
You are correct, the windshield's wiper is a place where they must use engineering. And I can´t see any!!!
Mr. @Musk must talk less about others´ business and work MORE on this car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We've had this conversation before.

How would it get under the seat with the mid gate / seat back down?
Why would that stop it? The seats don't lie back into the bed.

By moving the Tonneau cover up you actually reduce the coiled length by almost half ...
Why would that change the coiled length?

The cover does not block the back window when open or close, only while moving, so it doesn't change the length of the cover. It merely passes through the wall.

-Crissa
Sponsored