Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla is not going to make a phone. A phone doesn't do anything that would make a difference and what would it run android or ios? How do you disrupt a mature space like smartphones? Especially when you have company attempting BCI. Tmobile phones already connect to starlink .
For Tesla it makes no sense at all. For Twitter? Maybe a tiny tiny bit of sense. But Facebook tried going down that path and it got them nowhere.

Musk did briefly suggest Twitter might need to do a phone if the client was blocked on iOS. It did not seem to be more than a passing thought and sounds like him and Cook kissed and made up so the slim chance has reset to zero.
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Musk did briefly suggest Twitter might need to do a phone if the client was blocked on iOS. It did not seem to be more than a passing thought and sounds like him and Cook kissed and made up so the slim chance has reset to zero.
Musk I am sure had some good leverage in that "friendly talk". With StarLink, Twitter Everything App, Power Management, some of the best and talented software engineers and a very good relation with TSMC (new Texas chip factory) as bargaining chips I would surmise that Apple/Tim could have conceded without much ado.

Sidenote: I don't recall using the word ado in a written manner ever in my life. LOL

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Saw this interview on Rob Maurer's Tesla Daily Youtube channel after booking a visit to the Petersen Exhibit in early Janurary. The 1 day trip is a xmas present to myself and will be my first look at the Cybertruck in person. I liked Franz's take on the revolutionary nature of the form follows function of CT design and swiss army knife analogy.

It will be more than a toy for me, it will be my daily driver and the CT's versatility was a main draw. I was also happy to hear his slightly smaller comment as it would be a press fit in my garage with the prototype's dimensions.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
He is not an engineer
He is a art photographer
He is talking about engineering issues at which he has no experience

Education:

ArtCenter College of Design, Syracuse University,

School of Art - College of Visual and Performing Arts
‎Degree Programs · ‎

Studio Arts (M.F.A.) ·‎Studio Arts (B.F.A.) · ‎Illustration (B.F.A.)

This is not even Bachelor of Arts (4 years) or Bachelor of Science (4-5 years) or Master's (6 years) or Doctorate degree (8 years)

It is an art school

Nice school but
Syracuse is school of visual and performing arts.

Musk unlike Von Holzhausen has an engineering college education:
Engineering 101 or Engineering 201
but
Engineering 101 is hot stuff and is a good college education
You are joking, right? There is no such thing as Engineering 101. Engineering courses start in the 3rd year of college, after all the math, physics, chemistry, and other lower-division requirements are met. Then the survey courses are divided into materials, dynamics, electrical, etc. and move on to courses in the various engineering majors (civil, mechanical, aero, ee, materials, ...). You generally do not see a real engineering course until your senior year. Moreover, most would agree that a BS in engineering isn't really enough (I certainly didn't) and that an MS is really better preparation for a job. None of this means that someone who is energetic and creative has to have a credential. It is just meant to clarify what the engineering curricula looks like...a bit.

A person could have all the math and physics they need for an engineering job after the first year of college, if they took math and physics classes every quarter/semester for the full year, but without that background they would flounder for sure.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Saw this interview on Rob Maurer's Tesla Daily Youtube channel after booking a visit to the Petersen Exhibit in early Janurary. The 1 day trip is a xmas present to myself and will be my first look at the Cybertruck in person. I liked Franz's take on the revolutionary nature of the form follows function of CT design and swiss army knife analogy.

It will be more than a toy for me, it will be my daily driver and the CT's versatility was a main draw. I was also happy to hear his slightly smaller comment as it would be a press fit in my garage with the prototype's dimensions.
I am super glad that we went to the Petersen and saw the CT in person. It isn't nearly as intimidating as people always make it out to be. To me the biggest issue is the width and not the length or height but I cannot put 'any' car in my garage (too many tools!) so that isn't an issue for me.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Even NASA hires artists. The team needs to know how to present and create a coherent vision, how to explain it, and how to prepare it.

Engineering education should include art, but sadly doesn't anymore. But it's important for a finished product.

-Crissa
So, @Crissa, when you worked at NASA how many artists did you meet? I worked at Langley and Ames over 7 years and I cannot say that I ever met someone trained as an artist that was hired for that skillset. I am not trying to say that I think it is unimportant; only that I haven't, in my experience, seen what you are saying.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla is not going to make a phone. A phone doesn't do anything that would make a difference and what would it run android or ios? How do you disrupt a mature space like smartphones? Especially when you have company attempting BCI. Tmobile phones already connect to starlink .
You never know with that guy. He decides on a whim to do crazy things. And he doesn't care if it makes financial sense. If he wants to do it, he does it. And he wouldn't care if anyone bought it either. That is what he said about the Cybertruck. He is making it for himself. I hate to admit it but I think that way too (except that I haven't any of his resources).

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I am super glad that we went to the Petersen and saw the CT in person. It isn't nearly as intimidating as people always make it out to be. To me the biggest issue is the width and not the length or height but I cannot put 'any' car in my garage (too many tools!) so that isn't an issue for me.
I am actually looking forward to the CT due to the fact it is smaller than my current ride, F350 dually. Pretty sure the width will be a non-issue for me. :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You are joking, right? There is no such thing as Engineering 101. Engineering courses start in the 3rd year of college, after...
That's news to the university I attended thirty years ago.

So, @Crissa, when you worked at NASA how many artists did you meet? I worked at Langley and Ames over 7 years and I cannot say that I ever met someone trained as an artist that was hired for that skillset. I am not trying to say that I think it is unimportant; only that I haven't, in my experience, seen what you are saying.
Your experience seems pretty narrow. My spouse was partially hired for her artistic skills, and they leveraged that to build the proposal for the artists they needed to complete the educational materials and marketing materials. Her knowledge of computer animation (what she was taking at school at the time) was leveraged to bring the scientists working there into using modern computer visual modeling tools, too.

Her actual job was network engineering, working on the communications with the probe and processing the data received.

Artists are also employed when doing large engineering projects as someone has to make the illustrations in manuals and instructions and projects as they get bid upon and explained.

Without artists you end up with a MOC made with fake wood grain paneling and poorly thought out ergonomics. You get confusion when illustrating processes in the ARB. And you don't get as many kids willing or ready to study the subjects being examined.

Art is super-important. Who do you think makes the logos, anyhow?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's news to the university I attended thirty years ago.

Your experience seems pretty narrow. My spouse was partially hired for her artistic skills, and they leveraged that to build the proposal for the artists they needed to complete the educational materials and marketing materials. Her knowledge of computer animation (what she was taking at school at the time) was leveraged to bring the scientists working there into using modern computer visual modeling tools, too.

Her actual job was network engineering, working on the communications with the probe and processing the data received.

Artists are also employed when doing large engineering projects as someone has to make the illustrations in manuals and instructions and projects as they get bid upon and explained.

Without artists you end up with a MOC made with fake wood grain paneling and poorly thought out ergonomics. You get confusion when illustrating processes in the ARB. And you don't get as many kids willing or ready to study the subjects being examined.

Art is super-important. Who do you think makes the logos, anyhow?

-Crissa
I always did my own drawings but I get your point. If they are hiring technical illustrators (not in my group as far as I know) then sure. We did have UX designers that I am sure had artistic background, but your statement was that they were hiring artists. You say that your wife was hired as a network engineer. That makes perfect sense. Even if someone was hired as a technical writer and had artistic training, if they were hired as a writer they weren't hired as an artist. But you are mistaking my intent. I was only trying to make a clarification; not to say that I think art is in any way unimportant.

Regarding your other comment, I assume about engineering curricula, I have only attended 3 universities (UofM, MSU, and UCLA) but I was also on the faculty at SFSU and what I said jibes will all if them. In fact, it doesn't matter to me what Elon's credentials are, or what Franz's credentials are. They are both great men doing great work. I took offense at the Engineering 101 statement alone.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
For what it’s worth, I don’t care how long / short it is. Just going off what Franz said himself here; it’s shorter by a few percentage. That seems to stack up to my long bed 4 door Tacoma.
Franz is saying a few percent less than the OG prototype behind him not a few percent less than the dimensions that were shown on screen at the 2019 presentation.

If as I suspect the OG prototype is about the same length as an F-150 crew cab with 6.5ft bed that would mean 5% less would put it at about the same size as an F-150 crew cab with 5.5ft bed ... which matches the specs that were shown.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Franz is saying a few percent less than the OG prototype behind him not a few percent less than the dimensions that were shown on screen at the 2019 presentation.

If as I suspect the OG prototype is about the same length as an F-150 crew cab with 6.5ft bed that would mean 5% less would put it at about the same size as an F-150 crew cab with 5.5ft bed ... which matches the specs that were shown.
Cybertruck does not have extra long hood like ICE trucks have so a short frunk Cybertruck crew cab with 6.5ft bed can be the same total length as F-150 crew cab with 5.5ft bed.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I thought that for a long time also but it does, the design is deceptive.

Tesla Cybertruck Franz Interview - Talks About Cybertruck Design, Petersen Exhibit, and Production Model Hints! 891

Last edited:
OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag

That doesn't really make sense, why would they show off a different set of dimensions from prototype at all if it was going to be shrunk down? That's directly false advertising at that point.

Someplace for once and for all go measure the Petersen truck. That's 231.7. It's going to be a little smaller. It isn't bad.
Sponsored