GM announces the Chevy Silverado EV: 400 miles of range with Ultium battery techCHEVROLET CONFIRMS THE FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC SILVERADO FULL-SIZE TRUCK

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Hopefully it will be priced competitively.

I dropped by a GM dealership and looked at the Chevy Bolt: small, fragile looking and $52,000.00 CDN... NO THANKS!

The CT is my go to truck, unless someone comes out with a "WELL HELL, LOOK AT THAT"!
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Bolt comes in two sizes, but none are competition for a Cybertruck. I don't know why you'd think they were. They're basically just below a Model 3/Y.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The vehicles coming from Factory ZERO will change the world, and how the world views electric vehicles
Well... Not for nothing but Tesla already did change the world and how the world views electric vehicles. In fact, Tesla changed it so much that now GM is talking about (note, not actually producing) an electric pickup.

Let's see an electric Silverado in production before we get all celebratory about changing the world. Who knows, it could end up being such a bad vehicle that the world does get changed. The world might just get turned off of electric pickups if this thing doesn't work well or never gets produced.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Both the F-150 and the Silverado have got me very excited for the next 5 years. Seeing products like this roll out.. new innovations coming from US companies on US soil is part of the reason why I fell in love with Tesla.
I am hoping that with the big 3 getting into EV trucks maybe my CT will be less of a target and maybe the world will stop ICEing.

akia123

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy impala
Country flag
i hope the train their techs to work on these. very few even can work on the hybrids. i wish them the best but man tesla i bet is just going be way more simpler

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag

I dropped by a GM dealership and looked at the Chevy Bolt: small, fragile looking and $52,000.00 CDN... NO THANKS!

The CT is my go to truck, unless someone comes out with a "WELL HELL, LOOK AT THAT"!
When we bought our model 3 in 2019 it was the same story. Anything worth looking at was the same price as the Telsa .... umm no thanks Hyundai/Kia.

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 23 Tesla MY
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is it a slow news day? GM needs to pick up their stock? What? Because "GM declined to provide when the Chevrolet pickup will go into production..." doesn't inspire confidence.

If there were any vaporware products, this is it.

-Crissa
Oh, but what a wonderful nameplate with the "e" highlighted. They say that the Hummer will start production this fall, but won't give a time frame for the Chevy pickup. Definitely not a Ford fan, but at least they are working to get the F-150 EV out this year or early next year. And really find it interesting that neither Ford or Chevy have a stated price or even a price range for their pickups. I'm guessing they don't want any comparison to the Cybertruck for now.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Oh, but what a wonderful nameplate with the "e" highlighted. They say that the Hummer will start production this fall, but won't give a time frame for the Chevy pickup. Definitely not a Ford fan, but at least they are working to get the F-150 EV out this year or early next year. And really find it interesting that neither Ford or Chevy have a stated price or even a price range for their pickups. I'm guessing they don't want any comparison to the Cybertruck for now.
They are still trying to figure out how to even compete with the CyberTruck. The Hummer is trying to do it by adding all the bells and whistles to the high-end vehicle so they can try and sell the low-end on price. As a consumer, I find that insulting. You advertise all these cool features and then price them clear up at the top end. If I want a Hummer at the same price point as the Cybertruck I get a brick of a truck that is underpowered and not set up for being useful.

I'd bet that the Ford and Silverado pickups will end up pricing similarly. They are just not going to be competitive in price so they will need to obfuscate what you are getting.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I am hoping that with the big 3 getting into EV trucks maybe my CT will be less of a target and maybe the world will stop ICEing.
Generally I think that will happen. In that as more people are driving EVs there will be less overall disdain for EVs. However, in the current environment where charging stations are either brand specific (Tesla, Rivian) and working well or more generic (the others) and subject to many failures. There may be a jealousy issue arising over time. If Tesla keeps popping out chargers as fast as they have been and keeps them working well, the other carmakers that are dependent on the hodge-podge of generic chargers may end up with customers who are mad about being duped into a less than equal situation. Of course that may mean that people will tend to migrate to Tesla as the other companies have a difficult go at it. But for a while at least, there might be a modified version of ICEing where non-Tesla EVs block Tesla chargers out of jealousy or spite.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I am torn!! I want the world to transition to electric across all platforms, including inexpensive forms for those of us without strong cash flows. However, I do not trust the corporate decision makers at Chevy. They have a history of bait and switch. They are huge on announcement and thin on delivery. The Hummer is a great example. The military vehicle is astounding! The civilian versions are Chevy blazers dressed up in military fatigues, no training, no run flat tires , or adjustable air bag suspension, let alone the easy implementation of four wheel independent suspension. Nope, just a solid rear axle, choked off engine, and a pathetic 4 foot bed sufficient only for a day trip to Costco, all for a nice mark up into the $80K range. If you haven't figured this out I do not trust GM.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
So GM announced a truck with no specs.... no prices....no ETA..... not even a CGI rendering..... lol...... sorry GM..... this isn't news, nor is it credible based on GM EV development.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
When all the Tesla competitor vapor ware trucks don’t come to market, the ICE diehards might end up like Ginger Billy here.

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
Detroit is stuck in a box. Same ol’ pickup design, new contemporary drivetrain. Nothing interesting here. GM and F need to take the restraints off their design dept.!

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV ...wishing for my dual motor CT
Country flag

Love my Bolt, paid less than that though!!
Sponsored