Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
My major chemicals of note are muriatic acid, concentrated acetic acid (angry vinegar) and specialty gear oils. While they all have their own pesky odors, they are also all potentially hazardous in enclosed spaces and have myriad stickers alerting me of this. You know, the funny ones with 4 colors and the numbers?

So long as the bed and cabin separation is controllable it sounds like it should be a non-issue, I'd just really hate to have to get creative about carrying things I otherwise carry in my bed and service boxes right now.
To be honest, I would just leave the vault cover open while moving those--with or without a mid-gate. Acetic acid and hydrochloric acid are both pretty nasty for stainless steel and for your health, haha. Hydrochloric acid shouldn't cause fumigation issues with the steel, but acetic acid certainly can! Both of those are pretty damn nasty and nothing like manure!

If this is the case, the mid-gate is, frankly, the least of your concerns. You need proper storage PRIOR to putting these in the back of your truck. Any fumes at all from the acetic acid should be fixed before moving it, and hydrochloric acids, especially if concentrated, should never ever ever be allowed to touch the stainless steel of your CT. If this is a possibility, you may want to look in to getting a removable liner to prevent any direct contact. Hydrochloric acid, specifically, is not something your SS CT will run in to in nature and is NOT going to hold up to that over long periods well.

Certainly SS alloys can handle acetic acid well, but I doubt the CT is made for it (315, I think is ok?). The danger with acetic acid is the fumes more than spills. It can react with certain chemicals in the air to make something must nastier for your SS CT than simply acetic acid, especially in a closed space.
Edit: Just looked this bit up. Had it backwards! It's especially rough on 304 and 316 SS. If there is chloride in the air around it while fumigating (especially in hot environments), it will act very aggressively with most SS alloys. https://www.quora.com/Can-acetic-acid-dissolve-steel

This is me just remembering college chem though....

I didn't expect that lol. What the heck do you do for a living?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The warning of enclosed spaces is that if they're left enclosed, their gasses or spillage will build up and create a hazard when you open up.

Mostly that means don't leave them alone in the heat too long and don't stick your head in right after opening a space they're in. You could mount a fan on the tallgate since Cybertruck has power back there.

-Crissa
True!
Also, depending on the label, some chemicals are more dangerous while fumigating than in liquid form. Acetic acid in this case. It won't do much to SS if spilt (unless left for a very very long time), but when in a gaseous state can corrode SS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Yeah, my spouse ruined a bunch of spare stainless fixtures I had by storing hydrochloric acid near it.

-Crissa
Costco bins it is, according to breaking bad I just need the right PTFE plastic. I'm sure my local Home Depot already find my rubber hose and muriatic acid consumption suspicious enough though.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Costco bins it is, according to breaking bad I just need the right PTFE plastic. I'm sure my local Home Depot already find my rubber hose and muriatic acid consumption suspicious enough though.
haha! Just be sure to cap it ?

I still want to know what you do for a living. Your profile says "Technician" haha

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
haha! Just be sure to cap it ?

I still want to know what you do for a living. Your profile says "Technician" haha
Speciality machine service and repair for the food and beverage Industry. Lots of oil changes, descaling and off roading to get to facilities built off the beaten path.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Speciality machine service and repair for the food and beverage Industry. Lots of oil changes, descaling and off roading to get to facilities built off the beaten path.
Yeah... some of what daughter and her kids consider "Food" should be classified as toxic waste.

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hence putting down a hard surface over the tarp, like a piece of plywood.

Then you can pull it out and hose it down.

-Crissa
Gonna be a bitch cleaning out the T-slots in the bed floor if you spill something.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Yeah, my spouse ruined a bunch of spare stainless fixtures I had by storing hydrochloric acid near it.

-Crissa
Throwing spouse under bus… hmmm… maybe self incrimination?

(I speak from experience)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gonna be a bitch cleaning out the T-slots in the bed floor if you spill something.
That's why they have rubber stoppers.

Throwing spouse under bus… hmmm… maybe self incrimination?

(I speak from experience)
Haha! No, I ruined the couch by putting lead-acid batteries under it and it outgassed enough to eat holes in the upholstery.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Haha! No, I ruined the couch by putting lead-acid batteries under it and it outgassed enough to eat holes in the upholstery.
@Crissa, as many stories as you have about hazmat materials ruining items in your household, I'd be concerned if you ever came to visit or we met camping. LOL.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@Crissa, as many stories as you have about hazmat materials ruining items in your household, I'd be concerned if you ever came to visit or we met camping. LOL.
That's fine, I leave them at home!

Tesla Cybertruck Hazmat transport YellowHangar2018day

My camp is nice and safe ^-^ The battery was from my first solar set-up; I had put the panels as blackout curtains in the living room. We were south-west facing, so there'd be loads of sun shining in while I was trying to raid Molten Core.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's fine, I leave them at home!

YellowHangar2018day.jpg

My camp is nice and safe ^-^

-Crissa
You've practically got a village there. I'll have to get a good setup before heading to burning man. Most mountain excursions probably don't always have this much room of nice flat ground.

I had a previous thread about items to add to my camping equipment. Maybe I need to revisit to start actually making a real plan. Only 1-2 years to go till I'll be out and about in my apocalypse machine.