Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If they are sandbagging 20% I am going to have a baby.

Then when the V3 4680 comes out with another 20%, I am having twins. :ROFLMAO:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
In colorado, the truck would get 12,000 tax credit if it was over 10k... so i wish it was
Tesla Cybertruck Heat pump, battery size, Class 2b division (light-duty pickup) classification confirmed in EPA Cybertruck documents 1701759386385

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm guessing it was a rational decision to trade off the last 1000 lbs. of payload capacity for lighter capacity tires, lower curb weight, higher efficiency and an air suspension that cost less and worked better at more typical loads.

A lot of these details would not be known during the original unveiling and, while the specs were target specs at the time, Tesla would not hold themselves to those specs if new information showed the trade-offs were not worth it.

I think it reflects poorly on decisions made before the initial reveal, but it's also understandable how that could happen at such an early stage of development. 2500 lbs. cargo is not a very limiting number for the form factor. It's primary purpose is not to haul sand and gravel. Sure, we would all like to be given the world but in the end, practicality is all that matters.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm confused on the there permanent magnet motors too.

GANLCtZWMAAV6gk.jpeg

The most likely explanation is that the rear induction motors are mostly induction units, but they may use small magnets to fine-tune the magnetic fields to increase torque/power and/or efficiency when the induction motors are energized (without creating significant drag when the motors are coasting).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can we just get the official specs already? This is a shit show.
Is this correct so I can move on to the other 20 things to figure out.
Tesla never publishes any of this, as it completely doesn't matter to the end-user. All this is translated through the battery management system.

I really wonder at people who think that this means they should cuss, or that it's unusual or a failure.

-Crissa

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'm guessing it was a rational decision to trade off the last 1000 lbs. of payload capacity for lighter capacity tires, lower curb weight, higher efficiency and an air suspension that cost less and worked better at more typical loads.

A lot of these details would not be known during the original unveiling and, while the specs were target specs at the time, Tesla would not hold themselves to those specs if new information showed the trade-offs were not worth it.

I think it reflects poorly on decisions made before the initial reveal, but it's also understandable how that could happen at such an early stage of development. 2500 lbs. cargo is not a very limiting number for the form factor. It's primary purpose is not to haul sand and gravel. Sure, we would all like to be given the world but in the end, practicality is all that matters.
I'm also guessing that the range extender is going to eat into that stated 2,500 lb payload. It would be cool if Tesla already factored the weight of the RE and reduced the payload to 2,500 so that when you install the RE, you don't "lose" any of the stated payload, but that is probably a pipe dream.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm also guessing that the range extender is going to eat into that stated 2,500 lb payload. It would be cool if Tesla already factored the weight of the RE and reduced the payload to 2,500 so that when you install the RE, you don't "lose" any of the stated payload, but that is probably a pipe dream.
I'm thinking the next generation of Cybertruck batteries will make the range extender an un-needed complication and it will never see the light of day. I could be wrong but even if it makes it to market, it will sell to less than 10% of buyers initially and the rate of adoption of a $16K "extender" will decline over time. Tesla is targeting the needs of 80% of new truck buyers, not that last 20% that have needs that fall outside of the majority, so it will be interesting to see if it actually makes it to market and, if so, how low the adoption rate is.

First Name
Friction is your friend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S 3 x cybertruck
Country flag
Interesting block of information. Am I reading this wrong? 150 kWh battery capacity (buffer takes it down to 123 kWh) and 3 permanent motors (no induction)?
1701734953190.png
Specific energy is the energy that can be STORED per weight (kg), capacity is the energy that can be OUTPUT.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'm thinking the next generation of Cybertruck batteries will make the range extender an un-needed complication and it will never see the light of day. I could be wrong but even if it makes it to market, it will sell to less than 10% of buyers initially and the rate of adoption of a $16K "extender" will decline over time. Tesla is targeting the needs of 80% of new truck buyers, not that last 20% that have needs that fall outside of the majority, so it will be interesting to see if it actually makes it to market and, if so, how low the adoption rate is.
Quite possible, I agree with you. It is pretty smart of Tesla to keep the price of 2 of the offerings under the IRS limits to qualify for the tax credits. That definitely had a hand in the determination of the final battery size/configuration and the overall CT price, I don't doubt.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-credits-the-extender-gvwr-and-payload.10318/

I didn’t talk about the Tax limit because I think that’s a far less motivating factor

no one would be that shocked if a 500mi variant of a CyberTruck came in over the tax limit. You make that a long range version, and still offer the standard range below 80K

And there *shoudlnt* be that many people meeting the tac disqual who still buy an $80K truck, anyways

so on both supply and demand side seems less of a factor than whether Tesla optimizes its carbon credit revenue stream

pat11215

First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
There is a reason, I think it has to do with toll charges in some states and bridge weight restrictions in other states, also less weight extends the range.

Klyde

First Name
Klyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid
Occupation
Futures Trader
Country flag
The most likely explanation is that the rear induction motors are mostly induction units, but they may use small magnets to fine-tune the magnetic fields to increase torque/power and/or efficiency when the induction motors are energized (without creating significant drag when the motors are coasting).
Wondering why Tri isnt 3x Synchronous (PM) like the Plaid has, Isn't Induction's efficiency at about 80-90% while Synchronous are >90%, unless the CT has a different weight distribution due to the design. Still cant believe that the Cyberbeast matches the X plaid 0-60 at 2.6s, pure insanity.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Wondering why Tri isnt 3x Synchronous (PM) like the Plaid has, Isn't Induction's efficiency at about 80-90% while Synchronous are >90%, unless the CT has a different weight distribution due to the design. Still cant believe that the Cyberbeast matches the X plaid 0-60 at 2.6s, pure insanity.
Cybertruck can do it because it is 'geared' lower (and has lower top end).

They each provide different characteristic. Efficency and the ability to slow down to a stop as a couple examples.

FYI, Tesla has had combinations already. See the chart I put together.

One aspect: It does appear that permanent versions allow them to regen down to 0 MPH. My 2017 Model X with two inductions does not (regens to like 3 MPH).

7HmvPZU[1].jpg
Sponsored