How big of a price increase would you tolerate?

How big a price increase would you tolerate and still buy a Cybertruck?

• 30% - CT1 - $52,000, CT2 - $65,000, CT3 - $91,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOAR!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Honestly, it depends on how my Tesla stock does.

If the stock doubles, I will be willing to pay double.
If the stock drops, I will probably have to cancel my order.
If they double the price of the Cybertruck, it’s likely because something went seriously sideways with the 4680 plans and Tesla’s shares won’t be worth twice as much.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I don't have a lot of flexibility, 500 miles is a must as I live in a rural area and I already take long drives where even a 500 mile gas truck gets range anxiety. The tri-motor is a stretch as it is.

I doubt it will go up, from what I understand the price at reservation is fixed.
I can't claim to have seen it but posters have mentioned seeing "subject to change" next to the original price announcement, and I'm not aware of that being contradicted.

In the delay between the early predicted production date of late 2021 and the present one of late 2023, inflation would total what -- about 7 percent? So in equivalent dollars, a 7% increase is really a hold-fast.

What will be the change between estimated production cost at the time of the price quotes and the time of having to cut cheques for glass, tires, stainless steel, chips, worker wages, service-center costs, ...?

(a) When the list prices were announced, the CT could have been so panned that it would be cancelled. (b) Instead, by the time of delivery there will be how many order deposits? A million? What other business would maintain the price established under scenario (a) after it switched to (b)?

As much as I hope your doubt is well-founded, I wouldn't count on it.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
no more than 5%, anything over that and I'll likely have to drop FSD and/or my reservation at my current salary. Fortunately for me, I'm way down the list so I've got at least another 18-24 months before it's my time to buy. Gonna make it happen, CT will be my first TSLA!!!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Tesla should approach on apologetic knees explaining any price changes and then we reject increases. We are conditioning ourselves for them.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can't claim to have seen it but posters have mentioned seeing "subject to change" next to the original price announcement, and I'm not aware of that being contradicted.
It don’t recall it saying “subject to change” anywhere. Certainly not on the main slide where Tesla was talking prices.

It does say in the pre-order agreement that the prices are estimates so there is some potential wiggle room.

When the Cybertruck was launched, the dual motor was $17k less than the base Rivian and the tri motor was $2k more. At that time, the Rivian qualified for EV incentives and the Cybertruck did not. Today, the base Rivian still sells for $67,000.

Here’s another comparison which is a little scarier.

Tesla Cybertruck How big of a price increase would you tolerate? 1636754407863

If Tesla kept their Cybertruck pricing for launch, that would mean the Cybertruck would be right about the same price as a comparable Toyota ICE truck which would be a bit mind bending.

Ford is supposed to launch the Lightning spring of next year so it’ll be interesting to see where they go, they haven’t announced anything aside from the pricing on their base model.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't have alot of price flexibility.

I don't believe they'll raise the price on existing reservations.

-Crissa
They offerred a price and we reserved based on that. I don't want to consider a price increase, let alone chat about it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's comical to me that people would post their willingness to pay more for a product that 1) had a posted price, 2) isn't yet available for purchase 3) seems to be in high demand.

Almost as if they are trying to increase the price of the product.

My answer is 0. Not because it's what they advertised, but because what they advertised made it cost-competitive. If they raise the price they'll be niche at best and at worst they risk market failure. Note I did not say product failure. If their intent is to compete with a 1M sold per year market share, they are not going to do that with a product priced higher than what it debuted for.
I say let the people who are convinved of a price increase pay it. Perhaps that will stop this talk.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla is a company with a lot of smart people running the show. They know what posting prices and accepting money implies, they (should) know how to manage costs and how to hedge against short term inflation.

This is after all a company which is growing and increasing margins in this current market which is making the companies who have been around for 100 years shut factories for weeks at a time and have been losing double digit sales.
I do not think these people understand a person like Elon or a company like Tesla. They are used to car dealerships managed by greedy salespeople and companies that are only interested in the bottom line - not in the planet AT ALL.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The 1% says there should be a price decrease… and a free pen.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I’m HOPING those of us pre ordered will lock in the price. Tesla already took off the price from their CT page so price increase is inevitable. However price if iron ore has dropped 50% very recently so hoping inflation is temporary. Tesla also increase price to reduce wait time so my guess they will increase price after production get started because the wait is already 2 years minimum.
Sponsored