How can the Tri-Motor Cybertruck at $70k possibly be real?

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Rolls Royce Phantom EWB
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
The cost reduction to produce these trucks began with their design and NO paint shop which is 1/3 of a normal factory, no stamping equipment just laser cut and fold panels, Gigapress undercarriage and robot installed plug and play wiring harness. It was designed for simplicity to build from the start and the Gigafactory is amortized over many years and millions of vehicles. The Tri-motor will still have a decent profit margin and once it is scaled they're isn't a municipality in this country that isn't going to order FLEETS of these to replace their police and government vehicles as well as the Federal Government, military and millions of truck buyers. Can't wait to get my three.
Sponsored

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Three reasons, weighted equally:
1) Cost. Massive manufacturing cost reductions designed into the product. Structural battery, no paint, exoskeloton, single screen, just to name a few...
2) Supply and demand. A $50k BMW M3 does not cost twice as much to make as a $25k Civic. Charge what folks will pay. The closest competitor to a Model S costs 25-100% more.
3) Volume Targets. I wouldn't be surprised for Tesla to cut margin requirements substantially in order to goose the sales/delivery numbers, sell extra on services (FSD, connectivity, others to follow...), and take market share to create lifetime customers. Many of us who switch to Tesla stop considering other automakers...

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
What is your problem? If you want to pay more, please do. I'm happy with $70k, as I also expect upgraded to take me well into $100k. This isn't the Plaid+ Model S, it's the Cybertruck and Elon himself said the price for the trimotor was $70k. So, go ahead and pay more if you like; I'm going to pay what Elon stated. Thanks much. peace

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I thinking people who can afford a $150,000 sports car don't want a $70,000 work truck.
There is definitely something to that. There are a bunch of blind studies that shows same wine taste better in a fancy bottle.

Deal seeking is definitely a different sport than looking distinguished. For those of you in front of the line, the two may overlap momentarily.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I thinking people who can afford a $150,000 sports car don't want a $70,000 work truck.
Wrong. At least in the example of one I am an expert in. ;)

The difference is, if I can get what I want cheaper, why would I pay more? Not to mention, I then don't have to worry as much about the azz beatin' from Wifey I will take.

SS

OP
OP

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
50th Anniversary Porsche 911, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Country flag
What is your problem? If you want to pay more, please do. I'm happy with $70k, as I also expect upgraded to take me well into $100k. This isn't the Plaid+ Model S, it's the Cybertruck and Elon himself said the price for the trimotor was $70k. So, go ahead and pay more if you like; I'm going to pay what Elon stated. Thanks much. peace
What makes you think I have a problem? And what makes you think I want to pay more? If you don’t have a perspective or something of value to bring to the conversation, why post at all?

As for “Elon himself said”, well Elon says a lot of things... I don’t doubt it’ll be 70k, I do doubt it’ll show up in a timeframe that any of us are going to be happy with.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
What makes you think I have a problem? And what makes you think I want to pay more? If you don’t have a perspective or something of value to bring to the conversation, why post at all?

As for “Elon himself said”, well Elon says a lot of things... I don’t doubt it’ll be 70k, I do doubt it’ll show up in a timeframe that any of us are going to be happy with.
You're the one saying it would be $X because the MS P+ was... and then that insurance would be $Y... so, don't turn this around on me. They're YOUR statements. Own them. Thx

OP
OP

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
50th Anniversary Porsche 911, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Country flag
You're the one saying it would be $X because the MS P+ was... and then that insurance would be $Y... so, don't turn this around on me. They're YOUR statements. Own them. Thx
Please quote me where I say “it would be $X because the MSP+ was”.

Also, wtf are you talking about insurance?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
that's what has been repeated many many times. ... if you selected it with your reservation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Final Price ≠ Price of an option

It's illegal for a company to advertise something as a price and not offer it at that price. This is actual criminal law, in California specifically, where Tesla was, at the time of the offer.

The text you're excerpting means you can select other options (which would change the final price) and those options haven't been priced yet (there is not even an option to select other options); nor has taxes, delivery, or associated fees (which might change between when they announced it and when it's time to deliver).

-Crissa

DCL777

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag

Mega Castings front and rear with Structural Battery. No stamping also

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your doubt doesn't change the law. Tesla has never gone back on this, and it would be a criminal violation in the state of California to do so.

-Crissa
Here is what the actual pre-order agreement says-
Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.
Sounds like Tesla can change the price as much as they need to up until the actual order confirmation is confirmed which will require an additional deposit to begin the build. This is how they normally do it so I would expect some price adjustments when they tell me it's time to confirm my order. When I placed a $1k pre-order deposit for my Model 3 on 3/31/16, they required an additional $2500 deposit to confirm my order in 2018 and that locked in my actual price. If anyone can show where a $100 deposit on a CT locks in a price, please share it.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Don’t forget the Plaid+ will have high end brakes, suspension, forged aluminum wheels, expensive tires, not to mention the wide body to fit the larger wheels/tires, perhaps a larger spoiler to name a few things.
Sponsored