A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Obviously reducing the sun load by any means possible is the best thing to do. The option to run the A/C when the car is unattended is offered in all the current models and will doubtless be in the CT. It does not require shore power but will run off the battery until such time as SoC dips below 20%. There is a feature that runs it only as much as necessary to keep the interior cooler than 120 °F. You can use that up until you are ready to leave work and then set the cabin temperature to a more comfortable level a few minutes before going out to your car.

I said in an earlier post that "Ventilate" doesn't do anything. It does. It opens all the windows a couple of inches - not enough that I could see it from the house.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I am in Houston so i understand the concern. Most people i know with Teslas here dont seem to care about the all glass because they can pre cool the cabin. If anything they all think its better than other vehicles. Im lucky enough i will be able to park in a garage at work.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess that's really the bottom line. The Teslas are no worse than any other vehicle with a sun roof or moon roof (I never did understand what the difference is) except that with the Teslas you can do something about it (at the cost of some battery energy).

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4, Toyota T100 pickup, 2d RAV4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Copied from the heated exoskeleton thread:

I am hoping Tesla has a good solar heating and UV infiltration solution for all that glass. It looks totally awesome but without adequate mitigation in the bright southern sun, the glass would definitely contribute significantly to interior heating.

I had a C5 Corvette coupe with both tops, and in Florida, the tinted "glass" top would seem to burn a hole in the top of your head. I only used it briefly before switching to the solid top.

In my DeLorean, the black interior was sweltering in the summer and the already marginal AC system would struggle to cool it down. I tinted the windows with a version that included ceramic (15%), even tinting the windshield with 80% (practically clear). That made a world of difference.

I suppose if the Tesla solution is not enough for where I live, I can always tint the glass on the CT with a thermal barrier like I described.
This is a great thread. First time I heard about ceramic coatings. Do You think you could apply it to the body? I live in the desert where we only have about 2-4 months below 100 degrees F. I am really concerned about the SS body heating up.

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4, Toyota T100 pickup, 2d RAV4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I met Elon back when he was getting his first divorce. His money was tied up in the divorce preceedings and he was sleeping in his pickup. I am quite sure that pickups have a very special place in his heart and he is motivated to make the CT the best it can be.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This is a great thread. First time I heard about ceramic coatings. Do You think you could apply it to the body? I live in the desert where we only have about 2-4 months below 100 degrees F. I am really concerned about the SS body heating up.
What is your concern about the body heating up?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I read that Elon is so passionate about the upcoming CT that he plans on swapping out his personal black Model S for a Cybertruck once production starts up.

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What is your concern about the body heating up?
My first is getting burns on my hands or arms from brushing against the body. Second is optimal use of energy. I would rather use it to charge the batteries than cooling down the truck. At my age my skin is very thin.

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
My first is getting burns on my hands or arms from brushing against the body. Second is optimal use of energy. I would rather use it to charge the batteries than cooling down the truck. At my age my skin is very thin.
Its not different from any other vehicle though. Maybe white would be a little better in the sun. But the SS body will deff be better than any dark painted vehicle.

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its not different from any other vehicle though. Maybe white would be a little better in the sun. But the SS body will deff be better than any dark painted vehicle.
You are so right. Where I live 9 out of 10 trucks are white. But if I could have a polished SS body with a clear ceramic coating that cut down 80% of the heat, I think that would be awesome!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
You are so right. Where I live 9 out of 10 trucks are white. But if I could have a polished SS body with a clear ceramic coating that cut down 80% of the heat, I think that would be awesome!
Im not sure if the ceramic coating would cut down on heat, its more for paint protection. I'll have to look into that some!

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Im not sure if the ceramic coating would cut down on heat, its more for paint protection. I'll have to look into that some!
Thanks, I plan on doing some research myself. Hope we can come up with something awesome!

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Needed to back to physics.. I seem to be going in the wrong direction at first. Our skin needs UV protection for the glass but the heat comes from long wave infrared. Found several additives that absorb UV but none that ?absorb? or reflect infrared yet.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I live in Texas and have never had a glass roof vehicle. The sun is intense here and I wonder how hot an all glass roof will make the vehicle feel inside. It looks like the roof is heavily tinted based on the few images from above I've seen. I'm hoping this keeps the open air and cavernous feel inside the truck without causing major solar heating inside the cabin. In my current truck that has an amazing AC, the side with the sun on them is much warmer than the other while driving. I'm wondering how hot the entire truck will feel in August when it is 100F outside with the sun blazing down. Anyone with a glass roof car in the deep south have some experience they can share?
Teslas maintain internal temperature to protect and optimize the batteries, so I assume that this question is about touching the glass. Our Model 3 headroom is large enough that we (or at least I) have never touched it but I suspect that it isn't very hot. Of course, where I live it doesn't get very hot or cold so that doesn't mean much.

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
reference.com/science/materials-reflect-infrared-light-80087ca38662d887
namf.com/chem-film-coating/

Since gold is the best reflector of infrared. Think I could change from polished SS to gold film coating. Wife is asian and loves gold. Maybe she will lighten up on me about the 76g purchase.
Sponsored