Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Nearly every technical problem that isn't caused by physics can be solved, eventually, by enough money.

The aftermarket or a custom shop could/can solve your problem, I suspect.

Check this out. These are available because there are enough trucks on the road, owned by enough people who "must" have 3 person seating in the front and are willing to pay for it, to form a profitable market for the builders and installers: https://shop4seats.com/truck-seats/40-20-40-truck-seats/all-bench-seats.html

When there are enough CTs in the wild with enough owners willing to pay for the modification (and probably, also willing to give up a number of features such as heated/cooled seats) the seating you want will become available.

In the meantime perhaps there are custom shops that you could consider calling for information and advice.
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Yes, I would wait. Unless Tesla releases a van soon, the Cybertruck is only model remotely close to fulfilling needs.

Model X 6/7-seater is too expensive, lacks cargo space ( compared to van or full-size crew-cab pickup), lacks ground clearance.

Model Y 7-seater lacks cargo space ( compared to van or full-size crew-cab pickup), lacks ground clearance.
After price drop model X does look more appealing. But I need that cargo space

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
For that, wouldn’t you think the ‘option’ would involve different seats for the driver/passenger?

the CT seats we’ve seen have significant bolster/hip contours

your Silverado I’d guess had relatively flat seats that ‘extended’ the center jump seat?
Yea, I do think it'd require different seats for sure. I'd be cool with that though

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
For that, wouldn’t you think the ‘option’ would involve different seats for the driver/passenger?

the CT seats we’ve seen have significant bolster/hip contours
Yes, different (less bolstered) driver seat and front right-side passenger seat would be fine.

In many cases and families, the person sitting in the front right-side passenger seat is smaller.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Put your crotch fruit in the vault, I want my ergonomic, comfortable seats and a huge center storage bin.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Put your crotch fruit in the vault, I want my ergonomic, comfortable seats and a huge center storage bin.
That frunk looks like seats. Do it right and you have an 8 seater.

OP
OP

AussieAl

First Name
Alan Johnstone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hellcat Challenger, Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
If six seat was confirmed as an option but not available for a year, would you guys wait? Pretend you have a super early res and you have a choice.
I would wait

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I'm coming from a 2 seat convertible. If they forgot the entire back seat, I'm not sure I would notice for a month or two!

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I definitely think a 6 seat option will available eventually....why not make money on that option for those who want it...why give it for free. Just saying...

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I definitely think a 6 seat option will available eventually....why not make money on that option for those who want it...why give it for free. Just saying...
Because the seat doesn't appear in the truck magically.

You have to engineer the seat, test overall quality, obtain enough components and materials for mass production, modify the interior to accept the seat, train the workers who will make the seats, train the line workers who will install the seat, physically modify the assembly line, integrate steps to the assembly line process, update maintenance manuals, inform repair centers, get safety approval and data...

... All of that takes time and money. If not enough people buy it you've just burned a pile of cash.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Because the seat doesn't appear in the truck magically.
nor does space for a *meaningful* seat appear magically

look at the current interior packaging. There is simply no room for a *meaningful* third seat.

There is only room for Tacoma-like folding armrest “seat”

but that sort of armrest “seat” would require an entirely different front row configuration(the current bucket seats wouldn’t work).

but that sort of armrest “seat” seems to me a far to uncompelling offering for Tesla (in particular) create an entirely separate font row configuration.

to say nothing if such an armrest seat configuration would pass muster with a Tesla’s safety vision.

none of which is to say it’s *impossible* that Tesla may not offer some such armrest sea one day.

instead only to say that,

(1) it’s far and away from an obvious “why not make money for those that want it” sort of flourish add-on

and

(2) I doubt that such an armrest seat, requiring essentially the deletion of the bucket seats, is what most were hoping for - which leaves a small subset of folks who really *want* just an armrest “seat”

that said, understandable that those who came to the CT party because of the advertisement of a meaningful 6th seat would now be here clamoring for it.

and I empathize completely, to the extent the front seat implications touch upon my own needs in the back seat (eg a *meaningful* 3rd seat in the back) - not just a Rivian-like 3rd “seat” in back
Sponsored