Is Rivian R1T a better work truck than Cybertruck?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I don't know about that comparison to the Rivian exactly.

But Monro has said a number of times in other contexts that not only does he think the CT isn't really a work truck, but even that he doesn't think it's really a truck at all.

Goes to show that knowledgeable, reasonable, people can disagree.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
no. a four door jeep wrangler isn't better than a F150 either. that's the Rivian comparison.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But do also remember that Sandy said there is no other truck like the CT for it is in a class of it's own and he can't wait to get his hands on one...

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
as of right now the rivian is absolutly a better work truck...

I can't get ANYTHING done with my reservation number... OTOH if i buy a rivian it will do things.... will it be better once teslas are being made... don't know haven't seen the final specs.

Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Sandy Munro thinks Rivian will be a better work truck than Cybertruck.

Rivian R1T is better competitor to F-150/250 series than Cybertruck.

Tesla? Rivian? Sandy's Thoughts on Cybertruck and Electric Trucks
Sandy Munro sits down with us to talk about the advantages of Tesla's Cybertruck and Rivian's R1T pickup versus traditional ICE pickups
Grid Connections
Nov 9, 2020

-------

I think Rivian R1T will not be as good a work truck as Cybertruck
Rivian R1T
Price too high
Shorter range
Lower payload
Lower towing
Cargo bed too short (54 in/4.5ft) - Cybertruck is 6.5ft, Shortest Ford F-150 bed 5.5ft
Less Secure cargo bed storage
Rivian can only seat 5-passengers - Cybertruck can seat 6 workers/passengers
No 5th wheel support (All F-150/250 series can do. With mods Cybertruck too?)
Fragile body - No stainless steel skin like Cybertruck

(edited post after good input from ajdelange )

Rivian does not have
AC outlets for power tools & welders
Air compressor for power tools, cleaning, inflating
Just depends on what people define as a work truck. Some will sway and say Rivian. Some will say cybertruck. Depends on their needs. If someone is a loca handy man I’m sure Rivian is plenty work truck for them. I’ve seen people use a Tacoma (basically Rivian size) as a work truck.
I’ve seen and heard people saywork Truck bed needs to be 6 feet minimum. Well, in their eyes that’s the cybertruck.

end of the day it depends on the person.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
But do also remember that Sandy said there is no other truck like the CT for it is in a class of it's own and he can't wait to get his hands on one...
As for “class of its own,” more than once he’s said he doesn’t think the CT really is a truck, so much as it’s own … class of vehicle?

That it will compete with or out-compete conventional trucks, but to exactly by itself being one - seems the suggestion.

And from a class and engineering perspective, I can sort of see the point.

The GMC Envoy “XUV” was basically an SUV that could be converted into a “pickup truck” by sliding the rear roof panel and rear window out of the way to expose an open bed, extendable to 6’ by a midgate.

Tesla Cybertruck Is Rivian R1T a better work truck than Cybertruck? 5A9867E0-5BA7-4B13-ACDB-AB1951E7DF33
Tesla Cybertruck Is Rivian R1T a better work truck than Cybertruck? D250539D-F19E-45E6-AEA6-B9C81FE534F5

not at all to say the XUV and CT are similar except in the limited sense they are a bit class-defying.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One big thing people are forgetting about this clip... it was from 2020.... before Sandy knew what he knows now about the CT... don't think he thinks the same way now about the Rivian outclassing the CT.... guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One big thing people are forgetting about this clip... it was from 2020.... before Sandy knew what he knows now about the CT... don't think he thinks the same way now about the Rivian outclassing the CT.... guess we'll all have to wait and see.
Yeah, he was saying it from the pure square shape. He's not always right! That's why he gets experts and techs to work for and with him.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, right now the Rivian is by far, head and shoulders above, a better work truck than the Cybertruck. Hopefully the opposite will prove to be true shortly!
Why did you fire up an argument about a 2.5 year old thread?
Sponsored