Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
What Elon said was they didn’t currently have plans to make an RV out of the CT, after being asked about a camper conversion. He also said there would be many attachment points for 3rd parties to create a camper. A trailer wasn’t mentioned.

I attributed the quote to the wrong Tesla guy. It was Baglino that said they were working on “numerous” accessories for the CT.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
What Elon said was they didn’t currently have plans to make an RV out of the CT, after being asked about a camper conversion.
the exact question asked:

“do you see it more likely that you guys will have an RV first, or a cyber-camper”​

to which Musk laughs, then replies, chortling:

“we don’t have any plans to build an RV”​

he then separately goes on to discuss how a cyber-camper is a possibility from third parties

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
"Trailers… I’m seeing a new design in trailers coming. Rather than something you drag down the road, it’s likely to be something that is self-powered, self-braking, may even have some differential torque steering to help with directional control. This design will have no affect on your range, and with large enough batteries, might even be able to add to your range."

Agree advanced trailers are comming but I'm scared - current mainstream RV/Trailer Mfg'ers & dealers can barely design / build / support a good trailer without a drive system/EV Tech! Cant barely handle a solar system!

The startups / leaders from the traditional trailer mfg'ers will charge a flippen mint for the drive system / EV Tech!

So while I'm open, have a feeling I'll keep my current trailer for a while!
A single hub motor at 15 hp continous could offset most drag and capture most energy lost to normal braking, add a battery and the right controls and you would have a nice retrofit kit.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
A single hub motor at 15 hp continous could offset most drag and capture most energy lost to normal braking, add a battery and the right controls and you would have a nice retrofit kit.
My thoughts were to make the trailer a regenrater. Have a large battery on the bottom of the trailer with a motor used like your comment to help offset a little, and be hooked up electronically to the tow vehicle. Anytime the brake lights are on, it's regenerating power back to the battery. Then if you need a charge the juice could be sent to the tow vehicle.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
@Luke42. I don’t have a horse in this race. I’m not buying a TT at any price. I understand that a TT with those capabilities may match the cost of the towing vehicle… today. There MAY come a day when the cost of such a trailer gets much cheaper. Tesla is certainly turning the auto manufacturing business on tilt. Either way, it’s not my thing. I’ve seen companies talking about it, I was just discussing it. It was one of many subjects I touched on in my OP

as I said, this will be my first pickup. I’m not buying one because I need or want a truck. I’m buying it because it’s different, advanced, and somewhat amazing.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
A single hub motor at 15 hp continuous could offset most drag and capture most energy lost to normal braking. Add a battery and the right controls and you would have a nice retrofit kit.
The beauty of a smallish motor is cost and weight and less danger due to too much power pushing into the hitch. We have been down this road before. 2 small motors might allow your trailer to drive to your hitch or back up position it's self. Almost all the expense will be in the batteries but these could serve dual purpose as powerwalls when parked at the house.

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
The size of that dash has been long known and visible from the outside.
Right? Including the famous shot from above, of the OG with the Roadster and Semi.

So no doubt, there is a subgroup of folks for whom the realities of the design are finaly clicking for the first time.
It's even worse on the FB groups. Absolute denial there. "It's just a prototype, the final truck won't look like this" coming from people who a year or less ago were threatening to cancel their reservations if the final truck DID look different to this. :p:rolleyes:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My thoughts were to make the trailer a regenrater. Have a large battery on the bottom of the trailer with a motor used like your comment to help offset a little, and be hooked up electronically to the tow vehicle. Anytime the brake lights are on, it's regenerating power back to the battery. Then if you need a charge the juice could be sent to the tow vehicle.
The constant extra drag from wind resistance is what kills ev towing range. Not the hills so much. Technically if you were strategic in applying your brakes slowly enough you could recapture the energy before it is wasted from the trailer brakes. But unless you are really heavy you slowdown down hill just from air drag anyway.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I am a fanboy and I have a lot of company.

Products this good always have a lot of fans. That is a good thing, not a negative. Do you remember the Pontiac Aztek? It had a very tiny fan base and there's a reason for that! Tiny wheels and tires, high center of gravity, under-powered, large amounts of plastic cladding, terrible build quality, it is largely credited with helping bankrupt Pontiac. It's not a good thing when your products don't inspire fans.

The goal is to have as many fanboys as possible and the way to achieve that is to build affordable products that are superior to to the status quo.

By the way, I don't see how a lack of a physical wiper control could have caused you hairy moments considering there is a physical wiper control on the end of the left stalk. It sounds like you just don't know how to use it. Most of my driving is in the mountains of Western Washington where it rains a lot. I get splashed by on-coming big rigs, slush, sand, chlorides, you name it. The wipers work great if you know how to use them.
I’m right there with you I guess. A fan boy because it was extremely easy to adapt from 30 buttons on a Honda to basically none on my MY and M3.
the wipers took a little getting used to (like 2 days in rainy Oregon). I think the auto wiper has some work to do and I am not a huge fan of that in off and on rainy type days, so I will give you that… but Tesla is going away from buttons… it’s cost effective and they rely on people being able to handle change. Just like the iPhone.. blackberry people tried to hang on as long as possible, but finally got to the acceptance stage… get a different EV if you want lots of buttons.. just reality

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I think the auto wiper has some work to do
I think the wipers will become much more reliable and "super good" in the near future. Elon made a post about them today:
Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! wipers.JPG
Sponsored