Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Having two bloody stalks has almost zero impact on the 48V architecture and a lack of them would not suddenly make the platform superior. How do I know? The Model 3 I drove for two years had stalks and would have been an inferior product without.

VW has recently backtracked on not having physical buttons due to consumer demand. They will be reintroducing buttons.
Simplified smaller wiring harnesses gives Tesla an advantage. Little things add up. 1% here $250 there. No part is often the best part. That is all I am saying.
Sponsored

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
38 Pages, wow… Here’s my thoughts…

I’m not on the reservation list because I want to save the planet or drive on Mars. I’m on the list because I like the design, it’s DIFFERENT for a change. I’ve never owned a truck, because I don’t like them. There are a lot of old school people that will stick with the current designs (F-150, et al.) because they like the status quo. This ain’t the truck for them. The ONLY reason I’m buying electric from here on out is performance. I can’t afford an ICE car that can beat an S or S Plaid.

The middle front seat was destined for deletion a long time ago. Not because of the size, but because of the Tesla design. Specifically, the display. Getting an airbag to work for the center seat would be a nightmare. I don’t think the government is going to give them a pass on that one either.

Trailers… I’m seeing a new design in trailers coming. Rather than something you drag down the road, it’s likely to be something that is self-powered, self-braking, may even have some differential torque steering to help with directional control. This design will have no affect on your range, and with large enough batteries, might even be able to add to your range.

Buttons. 30 years ago I was involved in a government project where we eliminated ALL the buttons for the user. Seriously out of the norm in 1993 when the project rolled out. Users got used to it, and it is now the national standard for that console. Physical buttons and switches fail. Their elimination is just one less thing to go wrong. It really feels weird, even wrong to not have the switch or the button, until you’ve used the new interface for long enough to get accustomed to it, and then the buttons and switches seam weird. It’s all what you’re used to at that moment.

View angle… It’s got a bumper cam. Bring it up on the display If you need it. It’s got one on the tailgate as well. Spring that one up if you need it. B.A.D.? B.A.Deal. Maybe we find some storage under there.

HUD… I use a HUD every day. A well designed HUD is the best thing since sliced bread. A pooorly designed HUD is a waste of space and money. I’d take a well designed HUD over the driver side display. But that being said, I’d take a driver side display over a bad HUD or no HUD.

Yoke… Depends on the steering ratio. It’s still gonna work just the same going backwards or forwards. Just like the buttons, you will adapt. Few experienced people are so bad at reversing (even with a trailer) they won’t quickly adapt. I can think about how the yoke might even make learning to reverse even easier. I fly different aircraft with yokes and sticks. Side sticks just don’t make sense in my mind when I sit and think about it. I can see all sorts of issues where (in my mind) it should just be uncomfortable. Yet when I sit in the plane and fly, it’s 100% natural. Even after I fly it, when I think about it, I still think it should have been awkward. But it wasn’t. So if I’m given the option on the build (and I hope I am) yoke me baby!

I may have an AARP membership, but I still crave new technology and new design. The CT has both.

Last edited:

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
I’ll be honest, you sound like a fanboy. Besides, the Model 3 has stalks. Exactly what we are asking for. And the lack of physical wiper control has caused me personally several very hairy moments.

I never use voice recognition because: it sucks at recognising my accent, because it means having to interrupt music, and because I just don’t like to speak out unnecessarily when driving and contemplating stuff. I’m happy the voice works for you, but I personally never use it.

Editing to say, in case it’s not clear, I’m not asking for a return to zillions of buttons. But essentials that are needed to control the vehicle and key functions while driving. Those should be physical controls that can be operated without looking at them and things like direction being quick and easy to operate while towing and moving back and forth.
The new model 3 will not have stalks. No Teslas will in the future.

Stalkless Teslas have everything you are looking for...there's a simple swipe up and down that is almost 2 inches wide that takes up the entire left edge of the screen, there are buttons, sounds play when you change gears, the car shows a camera in reverse and plays a UFO sound.

There's a button for wipers on the screen and the wheel/yoke.

Again, if this is a deal breaker, let it be...or go rent one for a week. There was 0 learning curve for my wife and I after 40 years of using a physical selector...just like there was no learning curve when I went from a column shifter, to shifter stick, to dial (Ford), to buttons (Hyundai), to stalks (MY). It's really a non-issue for most.

Again, I'd understand qualms with turn signals as that's mostly been the same on every car, but cars have been switching the place where you change gears since the 80s...it's almost different on every vehicle.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
People dislike not having buttons because it's what they are familiar with. My wife and I have been driving Model 3's for over 5 years and the lack of buttons was only noticeable for the first few days. Since then, no problem. We rarely use the touchscreen for much of anything because we don't have to.

I've never used a voice recognition system that had nearly 100% success until getting the Tesla. Even when I butcher the word due to a brainfart, it will often get it correct. It's uncanny. I don't have to talk slowly or unnaturally either, I just spit it out and it adjusts the temperature or navigates to a new destination seamlessly.

Those who don't want to change might have a problem. I find it a better way of doing things. It frees up my mind from having to figure out what to press, turn or slide and voice commands offer a much richer navigation experience compared to manual buttons. Yes, it's different. If you adopt it, you will find out it's different because it's better.

VW has nothing like this.
I must really butcher words because my Tesla doesn't understand me half the time. I am not impressed with the voice controls. Intuition for pulling up names and phone numbers etc. Definitely room for improvement IMHO.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
I must really butcher words because my Tesla doesn't understand me half the time. I am not impressed with the voice controls. Intuition for pulling up names and phone numbers etc. Definitely room for improvement IMHO.
Voice controls are much worse on my MS than they are on my MY for whatever reason. It's not really worth it.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
38 Pages, wow… Here’s my thoughts…

I’m not on the reservation list because I want to save the planet or drive on Mars. I’m on the list because I like the design, it’s DIFFERENT for a change. I’ve never owned a truck, because I don’t like them. There are a lot of old school people that will stick with the current designs (F-150, et al.) because they like the status quo. This ain’t the truck for them. The ONLY reason I’m buying electric from here on out is performance. I can’t afford an ICE car that can beat an S or S Plaid.

The middle front seat was destined for deletion a long time ago. Not because of the size, but because of the Tesla design. Specifically, the display. Getting an airbag to work for the center seat would be a nightmare. I don’t think the government is going to give them a pass on that one either.

Trailers… I’m seeing a new design in trailers coming. Rather than something you drag down the road, it’s likely to be something that is self-powered, self-braking, may even have some differential torque steering to help with directional control. This design will have no affect on your range, and with large enough batteries, might even be able to add to your range.

Buttons. 30 years ago I was involved in a government project where we eliminated ALL the buttons for the user. Seriously out of the norm in 1993 when the project rolled out. Users got used to it, and it is now the national standard for that console. Physical buttons and switches fail. Their elimination is just one less thing to go wrong. It really feels weird, even wrong to not have the switch or the button, until you’ve used the new interface for long enough to get accustomed to it, and then the buttons and switches seam weird. It’s all what you’re used to at that moment.

View angle… It’s got a bumper cam. Bring it up on the display If you need it. It’s got one on the tailgate as well. Spring that one up if you need it. B.A.D.? B.A.Deal. Maybe we find some storage under there.

HUD… I use a HUD every day. A well designed HUD is the best thing since sliced bread. A pooorly designed HUD is a waste of space and money. I’d take a well designed HUD over the driver side display. But that being said, I’d take a driver side display over a bad HUD or no HUD.

I may have an AARP membership, but I still crave new technology and new design. The CT has both.
I too think there will be revolution in trailer designs. It doesn't make sense to have a 300kWhr battery pack all the time for 350 miles of towing range you only use occasionally.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The microphone could be picking up chassis vibrations. You can test for this by testing the recognition when the car is stationary and comparing results to when it is moving. I'm shocked how consistently good the voice recognition is, even on bad roads. Be aware that the car needs cellular reception for it to function.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Once again you're wrong.

The exo setup for the CT can be pulled back without affecting too much capacity.

Thats what's under that weirdly shapley blanket.
“weirdly shapley blanket”?

“exo setup can be pulled back”?

Are you stroking out?

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
"Trailers… I’m seeing a new design in trailers coming. Rather than something you drag down the road, it’s likely to be something that is self-powered, self-braking, may even have some differential torque steering to help with directional control. This design will have no affect on your range, and with large enough batteries, might even be able to add to your range."

Agree advanced trailers are comming but I'm scared - current mainstream RV/Trailer Mfg'ers & dealers can barely design / build / support a good trailer without a drive system/EV Tech! Cant barely handle a solar system!

The startups / leaders from the traditional trailer mfg'ers will charge a flippen mint for the drive system / EV Tech!

So while I'm open, have a feeling I'll keep my current trailer for a while!

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Okay, so somehow, in a truck with a body wider than an F150, they have an interior smaller than a Ranger.

Got it.

All because you know the guy's size. Somehow.

-Crissa
I need a camera like that to make my body slimmer!

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
“weirdly shapley blanket”?

“exo setup can be pulled back”?

Are you stroking out?
weirdly shape blanket is the angled ss metal.

This can easily be turned into a more traditional body.

I'm not stroking out. maybe.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
It would be a great feature for families and us grandfolks to have a Tesla child car seat that could snap into the back half of the center console.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Agree advanced trailers are comming but I'm scared - current mainstream RV/Trailer Mfg'ers & dealers can barely design / build / support a good trailer without a drive system/EV Tech! Cant barely handle a solar system!

The startups / leaders from the traditional trailer mfg'ers will charge a flippen mint for the drive system / EV Tech!

So while I'm open, have a feeling I'll keep my current trailer for a while!
Didn’t someone (namely Elon) mention that Tesla would be designing their own accessories for the CT? Maybe the trailer is a giant “accessory”?

Imagine having an all day range (500+ miles) not in spite of the trailer, but BECAUSE of the trailer!

Add to that, a 29’ trailer could support 15-20 Tesla solar panels… And if the trailer could charge the CT… while driving… Let your imagination run with that for a moment.

Last edited:

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Didn’t someone (namely Elon) mention that Tesla would be designing their own accessories for the CT? Maybe the trailer is a giant “accessory”?

Imagine having an all day range (500+ miles) not in spite of the trailer, but BECAUSE of the trailer!

Add to that, a 29’ trailer could support 15-20 Tesla solar panels… And if the trailer could charge the CT… while driving… Let your imagination run with that for a moment.
Would consider a Tesla trailer - but prob not to my use case (toy hauler)...and I have 6 200w panels on current 35' /10k trailer and room for 2 more (remember you have AC units, Fans, Skylights, etc) - granted if purpose designed guessing number of panels somewhere in between. And I still want the truck to do 500 mi unloaded, so will still need some batteries in the CT, trailer batteries would just let it tow farther than 200ish miles....

Thinking of adding a 220v outlet to my trailer Inverter so I can charge my Starg Varg (delivery not till Sept) and my CT in a pinch in the future (6kw Generator, 1200w Solar, 50amp inverter service, 400ah batteries)

Regardless will be cool to see what people make available in the future...always progress!

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think all Elon has said explicitly is that Tesla isn’t developing this
Sponsored