Let's be honest - who disliked and/or was repulsed by the Cybertruck when they first saw it?

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It definitely wasn't love at first sight. The best word for what I felt at first was conflicted. Both of our personal (mine and my wife) trucks are pretty new so my interest in the CT was pure curiosity. I can say that the aesthetics had nothing to do with my initial ambivalence. It was more trying to figure out if the value proposition was good or not.
Sponsored

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Like many, my first reaction to the flat sided thing (what is that? Cardboard? Perhaps that will drop away to reveal the truck? Then it stopped and people started climbing out of it. Whoa! OK Elon, hahaha, very funny, now show us the real truck. But... the things I had no clue about - $40k, $50k, $70k What?
- 250, 300, 500 plus miles of range What?and although this was in NO WAY a requirement, the 0-60 times - staggering!
6 seater, tailgate ramp What? Hey, I don't even need to anguish about color, I consider that a bonus plus you get scratch and dent resistive. Even the glass is resistive to breaking. No need to worry about those stones/whatever getting kicked up on the highway and chipping/cracking the windshield.

That is NO JOKE!
LOVE IT! Reserved as soon as I got home
TriMotor (NOT the plane) with FSD. Perhaps the last vehicle I ever purchase.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
My initial thought when it rolled out was.... And I have witnesses who heard me say this out loud... "Aww, man, they made something completely useless for my needs."
The jury is still out on that.

I think i've gotten over the less-than-8-foot bed.... but I need a ladder rack and cavernous amounts of space for tools and small parts.
Swear to dog I'm ripping out the back seats and welding in custom slide-out racks. Hopefully I can set the suspension nice and soft so I don't hear all the parts bouncing every time I hit a bump. The back doors better open nice and wide, hopefully past 90 degrees, but I doubt they will.
Maybe I'd be better off with a van.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
When I was watching the reveal, the first thing I said was, "What the fuck is that? He's joking right?" About a week or so later I switched form hating to appreciating, then I eventually decided it's a badass looking truck.

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
At first I was taken back. But then I remembered what Han Solo said to Luke "It may not look like much kid but she has it where it counts" and then ordered my tri motor. Since then I have grown to like new wave design.

CybertruckCovers

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cybertruckcovers.com
Vehicles
Foundation Series CyberBeast (Order Confirmed)
Occupation
Cybertruck Parts & Accessories Development
Country flag

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I was sold on the CT as soon as I found out it was manufactured from 3mm thick stainless steel. Only Tesla could pull off building this unconventional pickup truck that places function over form. The $50k MSRP for the 300 mile range Dual Motor was the icing on the cake.

Tesla Cybertruck Let's be honest - who disliked and/or was repulsed by the Cybertruck when they first saw it? 09594203-6C23-4B81-892E-CE6BACFA8514

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was about to fall out of my chair.....I drowned and said to my wife, "you gotta be kidding me"......I continued to laugh, but as price, description and some tech spec started showing up, I became more interested......

I too was expecting something that resembled a traditional truck form.....but I must admit, I started growing on me and was happy to place my order the same night....My reservation number is 46,160.......dont know if I will have all the extras that people further out than me will get, but this will be my last vehicle and a pass down to my son who like to camp and go to the desert......

hoping again hope, I am excited about getting the CT3.....still not sure about FSD yet as I find it somewhat lacking in my Model S, but I can rent it month to month if they can figure out my order status......but who in their right mind would want really want this big truck driving itself in town and in LA traffic anyway.....

so I am still waiting just like others....hopefully, the 8 Ton press will arrive soon and we can get the battery situation figured out soon too....I do think the battery is the main reason for delays.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i thought "Elons trolling us, this has got to be a joke."

i still don't like the look that much, mostly because it is a beacon that says look at me, i guess that will change with time... but the price, specs, size, and stainless! is all so great.

personally i think a sprinter type van would be a smarter move right now.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I was also watching the reveal online, and as that thing started driving through the smoke onto the stage, I thought it was a prop and the sides would drop away to reveal the "real" truck. Our brains have a perception of reality based on all previous experiences. I've seen several instances where it has taken my mind several seconds to grasp what I've seen and understand what has just happened. Once was a hang glider crash, another time was when a car was coming at me backwards on a 2 lane freeway. We are so used to things happening the same way that it takes awhile to grasp what we are seeing.
I think the CT was similar to that, and Elon was explaining that he was about to blow our minds when he showed all previous truck designs follow norms, and that what he was about to reveal was outside the box.
As he was explaining the stainless steel and features of the CT, I started seeing it as modern art, and the minimalism of the design was already sinking in. Then my mind began to come up with similar designs, and associate it with the Lamborghini Countach, DeLorean, and even some sand buggies. As Elon was revealing the specs and what the CT was capable of, I "thought that's cool" but this thing is going to be expensive. The windows shattering had hardly any effect on me. They had shown the glass was stronger than normal glass already by dropping the steel ball demonstration. It was obvious something had gone wrong. But DUH, you throw a 3" steel ball at a glass window, and it breaks. My mind is used to that! Anyway, when Elon revealed the prices, it was a shock! Tesla was going to build this Huge, super strong, fast, utilitarian EV at a price less than a Model 3, CRAZY!!!
After the windows broke things kinda seemed to go off scipt and Elon rushed through the end of the reveal. When it ended, I was in shock and wanted MORE. I went to YouTube and found livestreams of people waiting to ride in the CT. I watched one or 2 and saw how roomy the back was and how the Vault worked, and then I finally went to Tesla and reserved my CT.
Seeing the CT in livestreams driving at night outdoors, I began to become enamored with the design. It is minimalism at its finest! It looks simple, but the subtle changes in lines and curves are brilliant!
The one thing I didn't like from the beginning, and still don't like are those wheel covers. That is one thing that my CT will not have.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I was about to fall out of my chair.....I drowned and said to my wife, "you gotta be kidding me"......I continued to laugh, but as price, description and some tech spec started showing up, I became more interested......
I didn’t laugh, but this was so similar to my reaction.

The specs were Interesting, but made me think it was almost certainly going to be too expensive to be in my budget.

When the price hit the screen I had to go back and rewatch the whole video with my new perspective on perspective buyer.
Sponsored