Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Exactly! I had this thought as well reading your last post. Nailed it.
Tesla's deepest secret.

Tesla's goal is not to maximize profits.

Tesla prioritizes market penetration over profits. Profits have and will continue to follow, but I don't think profit is the fundamental metric Musk uses to measure Tesla's success.

Tesla's goal is to eliminate ICE vehicles from the market entirely. To get there they need to be profitable enough to continue their current growth, but they don't need to do profit maximizing strategies other companies do.

Ford and GM are pushing tiered truck models with increasingly luxury features up the stack to maximize revenue. Tesla is pushing all the features down to the base models to ensure they get as many as possible into the hands of consumers.

I don't think Tesla's competitors have quite caught onto this. It should scare the bejesus out of them.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The great thing is once you get the Cybertruck, you'll be able to park the Canoo truck in the bed.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I don’t believe the biggest selling point of CT is it’s uniqueness or the fact that it is a Tesla. It’s biggest selling point is it’s value.
Yup, the value. Get all of Cybertruck (single motor) for about same price as Model 3/Y.

I like the Bladerunner/spacey style but I would not pay extra money for that style.
I would happily accept a more traditional curved type body if it was scratch/dent resistant.

Value

The scratch/dent resistant stainless steel body, hopefully rock resistant windshield, seat 6 people, 6.5ft bed, vault, high payload limits, high towing limits.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Why would they need to find a way to raise prices. They will just raise them like they did on their other vehicles. They will probably honor CT pricing for a little while. Or they will automatically take that $8k EV rebate for themselves

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why would they need to find a way to raise prices. They will just raise them like they did on their other vehicles. They will probably honor CT pricing for a little while.
What precedence is there for not honoring pre-order pricing?

I understand why people say it's not going to ship until 202X... lots of precedence for Tesla slipping on dates. Zero precedence for Tesla ignoring pre-order pricing.

I like the Bladerunner/spacey style but I would not pay extra money for that style.
I would happily accept a more traditional curved type body if it was scratch/dent resistant.
When I preordered I didn't care for the style... it's grown on me.

Its easy to fall in love with the style when you realize it's part of where the value comes from.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Why would you want to buy an expensive SUV when a Cybertruck is so much of a better option.
If on the CT update, Tesla reveals a SUV version of CT (but a foot shorter), would you switch to SUV? I think I would.

what if Tesla said they were going to make the 4 wheel steering models first for a $10k premium and then eventually (maybe 2 years down the road) make the straight steering. Who would upgrade?
Not me, anything over $50K for dual motor, I will be looking at other options. The only thing I may pay extra for is if I get a really good deal on upgrade to 500 mile range on dual motor. Keep the 4 wheel steering for CT3 and I will be fine as long as I have use of cameras around the truck.

Or they will automatically take that $8k EV rebate for themselves
They can't "take" it. Customer has to "give" it when they finalize their "choice" of vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If on the CT update, Tesla reveals a SUV version of CT (but a foot shorter), would you switch to SUV? I think I would.
So if "SUV" meant something almost exactly like the Cybertruck but with the vault and cabin merged with a big hatch back or rear gates, I'd be on it in a flash.

I don't even care about the third row.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
what if Tesla said they were going to make the 4 wheel steering models first for a $10k premium and then eventually (maybe 2 years down the road) make the straight steering. Who would upgrade? Who would wait? This is the same vane as the $35k M3. Tesla kept the promise eventually, but a lot of people upgraded or waited.
I think people are trying to come up with random ways for Tesla to squeeze people for more money. I fully expect Tesla will do very much what they did with the Model 3 and leave the single motor configs until the tail end.

But I don't think what you are suggesting is what happened with the Model 3. They did string the M3SR reservation holders on for a long time, but they didn't add a new tier after the fact and use that to push upgrades. If you ordered the M3LR, you got it right off.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
The CT is too cheap. Why would you buy a long range S or a Y for $90k/$60k when you can get a $70K CT with 500 miles range? Granted some people want a car, but for pure economics Tesla is undercutting their own market.

I don't see Tesla working too hard to crank out 250,000 CT per year at current pricing unless the margin is actually higher than a S or Y. I think they will limit production to ~100,000 units per year or so or they will find a way to raise prices. Maybe the 4 wheel steering was it?

Total profits are important as well as market share, but who are they really competing against? My assumed unit # 654114 is looking sadder and sadder.
So long as the CT doesn't fit in the standard garage, there will be no cannibalizing's of sales, LOL. Pretty simple for Tesla, keep the CT a monster. :)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If you're talking about a SS SUV version of CT (but a foot shorter), that would have removable or fold to flat/stow & go 3rd row. Yes I'd probably buy that over a CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla reveals a SUV version of CT (but a foot shorter)
So long as the CT doesn't fit in the standard garage, there will be no cannibalizing's of sales, LOL. Pretty simple for Tesla, keep the CT a monster. :)
Oh dear lord, I hadn't put the 2 and 2 together until GDL said this.

A foot shorter so it fits into a garage.

I don't have a garage and even when I did, didn't keep the cars inside it so didn't connect until now.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Oh dear lord, I hadn't put the 2 and 2 together until GDL said this.

A foot shorter so it fits into a garage.

I don't have a garage and even when I did, didn't keep the cars inside it so didn't connect until now.
I don't have a garage and no obsession about length but if you don't need a 6.5' bed and can connect all the interior space, you can skip the all wheel steering and have much easier time parking. I take a CSUV with ground clearance and beefy tires over X and Y any day.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The CT is too cheap. Why would you buy a long range S or a Y for $90k/$60k when you can get a $70K CT with 500 miles range? Granted some people want a car, but for pure economics Tesla is undercutting their own market.

I don't see Tesla working too hard to crank out 250,000 CT per year at current pricing unless the margin is actually higher than a S or Y. I think they will limit production to ~100,000 units per year or so or they will find a way to raise prices. Maybe the 4 wheel steering was it?

Total profits are important as well as market share, but who are they really competing against? My assumed unit # 654114 is looking sadder and sadder.
Don't worry, be happy! Elon knew going in he didn't have the battery capacity or technology to make the Cybertruck. He was counting on future progress, he made bold claims of tech he just knew were around the corner. He's also saving money on the CT paint, frame, etc. As long as he can whittle the price of the batteries down considerably, he's got a decent profit margin at existing prices. Stop fucking trying to raise the price of my Cybertruck!!!
Sorry, started this post in a good mood, came back hours later to finish it in a different frame of mind. Please stop suggesting it's too cheap. Yeah, it's a good deal, and I wanna keep it that way, OK??

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Don't worry, be happy! Elon knew going in he didn't have the battery capacity or technology to make the Cybertruck. He was counting on future progress, he made bold claims of tech he just knew were around the corner. He's also saving money on the CT paint, frame, etc. As long as he can whittle the price of the batteries down considerably, he's got a decent profit margin at existing prices. Stop fucking trying to raise the price of my Cybertruck!!!
Sorry, started this post in a good mood, came back hours later to finish it in a different frame of mind. Please stop suggesting it's too cheap. Yeah, it's a good deal, and I wanna keep it that way, OK??
Chances are the Cybertruck will get cheaper over time if you compare in real dollars (inflation adjusted) and maybe even in actual dollar amounts. Tesla has a history of pushing to reduce prices ever since the beginning. They do it by increasing volumes and lowering the cost to produce through manufacturing innovations and deleting things that add no value.

The big automakers have been charging too much for their products because they are inefficient corporations with huge overhead and management expense. The only reason they got away with increasing the price of their wares every year is because they were in charge and all automakers were big and inefficient. They only needed to be efficient enough to keep a new competitor from being able to enter the market. They were successful because barriers to entry are wide and deep but then Tesla came along, leveraged the underlying demand for EV's and pulled a fast one on them. They didn't know what hit them until it was too late. First they ridiculed Tesla and their EV's saying demand would dry up and Tesla could never become profitable in such a niche market. Before you knew it they were running for their lives trying to build EV's (like they always said they could if demand existed) but they discovered they could not build profitable EV's like Tesla could.

I don't understand why some people are always predicting Tesla will raise prices because that's exactly the opposite of what their trajectory and past history points to. They are ALL about offering the most value for the least money. Look at the Plaid Model S, the fastest car in the world. They could easily sell it for a half million or a million dollars. But they chose to sell it for $130K which is probably about the cost to produce in volume plus 30%.

Tesla is only greedy if greedy is defined as trying to displace as many ICE cars as possible.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Stop fucking trying to raise the price of my Cybertruck!!!
Tinker is on our side.

I think folks are *still* just a little blown away and skeptical that the Cybertruck will be as good as it seem for the price it seems to be. We've been trained that if we see something which is too good to be true, it's probably isn't true.

Lots of people saying it's not going to happen, it's going to be scratched entirely, it's not going to ship, the price is going to raise. It's a natural response.

This is why if Musk gets it out the door in 2022, the truck market is going to implode.
Sponsored