Look out Tesla, Ford, GM, Rivian - here comes Ram Revolution!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
QuantumScape update: Solid-state cells will cut EV charging time in half and increase volumetric density over 50%
Scooter Doll - Apr. 26th 2022 4:51 pm @SCOOTERDOLL
Quantumscape-update-timeline.jpg

Comments
In a letter to shareholders outlining its progress through Q1 of 2022, solid-state battery manufacturer QuantumScape has shared some exciting updates. These include a new 16-layer, solid-state cell – an initial proof of concept of the company’s proprietary cell format. Additionally, QuantumScape shared news of scaled manufacturing and plans for increased production capacity. There’s lots to unfold here, so let’s hop in.

Table of contents
Quick recap
QuantumScape ($QS) is a battery technology company founded in 2010 with the goal of developing scalable, effective solid-state batteries.
In December of 2020, the battery developer announced it had reached a “major breakthrough” in its technology by utilizing a ceramic separator, leading to the successful testing of single-layer prototype cells. After doubling the size of its initial pilot manufacturing line, Quantumscape revealed it had also developed a 10-layer cell.
In February, QuantumScape shared another industry first with a single-layer cell that completed 400 consecutive 15-minute fast-charge cycles, replenishing from 10% to 80% capacity while still retaining over 80% of its initial energy.
In its latest Q1 letter to shareholders, QuantumScape has continued its momentum with a bunch of additional solid-state updates.
Quantumscape-update-energy-retention.jpg
Source: QuantumScapeThe latest QuantumScape updates
The following information was taken from QuantumScape’s quarterly letter to shareholders recapping Q1 of 2022. The details can be rather … dense, so we recommend checking out the full letter for yourself, but here are some of the key takeaways.
The 16-layer solid-state cell
Continuing its trend of developing and testing multi-layered cells that perform under the company’s “gold standard” conditions, QuantumScape shared that it has developed a 16-layer solid-state battery cell that has already endured over 500 charge cycles. So far, the cell’s energy retention and cycling have behaved similarly to the cells that came before it (see graphic above).
In addition to containing more layers, this new cell is the first to showcase QuantumScape’s proprietary cell architecture, which is flexible enough to support an anode-free format. The company describes this initial cell as “an encouraging proof of concept” for the flexible format but admits much work still needs to be done before it can truly be commercialized.
Manufacturing scaled up
QuantumScape also offered updates to the scale of its operations, including a ramping up of separator production – a key goal for 2022 to reach weekly starts over 8,000. This past quarter, the company recorded average weekly starts over 3,700, up from 2,000 in Q4 of 2021.
This increase was made possible by QuantumScape’s updates to production tooling on its Phase 1 engineering line. Speaking of which, the battery developer also shared a detailed strategy of its initial scaling of production capacity. It consists of three planned phases:
  • Phase 1 Engineering Line – QuantumScape’s current core of development capabilities to date (supports R&D, process development, and pre-A sample customer sampling)
  • Phase 2 Engineering Line – Builds upon the capabilities of Phase 1 but integrates larger-scale equipment with higher levels of automation
  • QS-0 Pre-Pilot Production Line – Planned to feature film production in large continuous kilns with automated film handling and cell assembly
    • This line remains on track to produce candidate B-sample cells in 2023 (B samples are made using production processes).
We can explain the rest, but QuantumScape offers its own production line updates best:

Quantumscape-update-Energy-density.jpg
QuantumScape can offer updates to battery power and energy
In the letter, QuantumScape admits it does not believe it’s possible to improve both the power and energy of battery cells simultaneously given their current chemistry. However, its solid-state lithium-metal technology offers the potential to improve both. Not just simultaneously, but dramatically (see graph above).
According to QuantumScape, it has five consumer sampling agreements, three of which are with top-10 automotive OEMs, one of which has already reserved at least 5 MWh of capacity on the QS-0 pre-production line. Here’s another update as it pertains to automakers actually testing solid-state batteries:

We know that one of those automakers is Porsche, which is owned by Volkswagen Group, an early funder of QuantumScape. The rest of the letter is financials, which aren’t too important right now as the company’s products are still very much in the developmental phase.
These are big goals for QuantumScape for 2022, but its latest updates provide evidence that the company continues to scale and improve its solid-state battery technology. Until next quarter!

https://electrek.co/2022/04/26/quan...olid-state-cell-and-scaled-manufacturing/amp/
Anyone else find it interesting that they mention energy/volume density but never energy/mass density? Although both are important, typically I see more talk about Wh/kg than Wh/L.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Anyone else find it interesting that they mention energy/volume density but never energy/mass density? Although both are important, typically I see more talk about Wh/kg than Wh/L.

Yup, I noticed that last year. That QuantumScape leaves out the Wh/kg number makes me suspicious.

searched their website and only found a few mentions and it is not really impressive.

----------------------------------

Lithium Iron Phosphate on the QuantumScape Solid-State Lithium-Metal Platform September 7, 2021
https://www.quantumscape.com/resour...ntumscape-solid-state-lithium-metal-platform/

For example, LFP cells built on the QuantumScape platform could achieve energy densities between 600-700 Wh/L and ~250 Wh/kg, roughly 50% better than current LFP cells. This would put them almost on par with today’s best NMC-based cells. And unlike silicon, pure lithium metal enjoys a slight voltage advantage over graphite, adding a small boost to cell energy. The QuantumScape platform could thus cut the weight of a 50 kWh LFP battery pack by more than 100 pounds.

QuantumScape claimed they would have ~250 Wh/kg, roughly 50% better than current LFP cells.

50% better in the unspecified future ???

There are already couple of LFP cell makers that say they will have volume production of ~250 Wh/kg LFP by end of 2023. So next year these competitors will have almost the same Wh/kg (50% better) as some far future QuantumScape LFP but at a lower cost than QuantumScape LFP and in volume production before QuantumScape LFP.

Guoxuan closer to mass-produce 230 Wh/kg LFP battery cells
by Pedro Lima
Published 29/03/2022
https://pushevs.com/2022/03/29/guoxuan-closer-to-mass-produce-230-wh-kg-lfp-battery-cells/

Guoxuan’s LFP battery cell evolution
2009: 95 Wh/kg
2015: 140 Wh/kg
2019: 190 Wh/kg
2020: 212 Wh/kg (191 Wh/kg at pack level with JTM)
2021: 230 Wh/kg (207 Wh/kg at pack level with JTM)
2022: 260 Wh/kg (234 Wh/kg at pack level with JTM)

Curiously, unlike its main competitors, CATL, BYD or SVOLT, Guoxuan will produce its energy-dense LFP battery cells in pouch format, instead of prismatic. Therefore, Guoxuan’s battery packs will use modules and the JTM (Jelly roll-to-module) technology to achieve an impressive GCTP (gravimetric cell-to-pack) ratio of 90 %, which is about the same we have in modern module-less packs with the CTP (cell-to-pack) technology.

Even more curious, is that Guoxuan said in early 2021 that with JTM tech, its LFP batteries will have similar cost to lead-acid batteries … 👀

JTM cost is close to lead-acid battery, its integration tech enables us to use 1 production line for all products and have 1 product to suit all platforms.

Anyway, SVOLT expects to also reach the 230 Wh/kg figure with LFP battery cells by late 2023.

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I don’t think Ram Revolution is any more pretentious than Cybertruck.
Anecdotally, I don't actually think they said the Ram EV truck is going to be called the Revolution. I think Revolution is their public input platform and greater program name to develop EVs for Ram. I could be wrong.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Anecdotally, I don't actually think they said the Ram EV truck is going to be called the Revolution. I think Revolution is their public input platform and greater program name to develop EVs for Ram. I could be wrong.
You could be right.

I could see it either way. It’s a decent name.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When I first heard the term it was referring to video game projects like Duke Nukem Forever which was 12 years behind schedule but eventually did ship. The origins of the term are in software and It’s almost always referred to projects which were years behind schedule. Cybertruck is not vaporware. Just that it was the only truck out there in that general ballpark.

Nikola Badger was just outright fraud!

But I think perhaps I’m being pedantic. Ram is building unrealistic hype.
Interesting- this maybe changes my perception of the term "vaporware" a bit. I also assumed it meant something that would never come to market. A quick Google search shows it does have origins in software that was significantly late. So I guess "significantly" is subjective to some degree.

Based on this, I guess I can be a little less defensive when people call the CT vaporware as it is delayed a significant amount (though not as much as people make it out to be- its more because the reveal was so early relative to the original delivery timeline).

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Is that murky picture all that they can reveal?
I am afraid there in the darkness is hidden a flatbed Chevy Cavalier
:unsure:

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had 2 dodge/ram vehicles back in the day. Both were mechanically totalled under 90k miles. Engine head and gasket warpage that cost more to fix than the cars worth.

I will never spend a penny with that piece of shit company. Fuck their revolution

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
For might not like it, but Tesla will. We actually want other EVs to succeed. There is enough demand for all, and there will be for a while yet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For might not like it, but Tesla will. We actually want other EVs to succeed. There is enough demand for all, and there will be for a while yet.
Want them to succeed but cynical of their chances.
Sponsored