TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
PPF wraps seem to be much pricier than just a wrap elsewhere such as my wrap guy's price. I'd get Tesla to do mine and biggest benefit, it comes wrapped instead of dropping it off and wait for a week.
There is no need for PPF (paint protection film)... cuz there's no paint underneath! 🙃

SamFromValleyCenter

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like my car and in this case I will like my Cybertruck when I got it, but I will not let my Cybertruck own me !!! LOL

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
It looks amazing.

I'm wondering if it is indeed a wrap though...
Check out how reflective it still is in the direct light:
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 12-48-44 Matte Black Cybertruck Finally Appears!! 😱 Driven by Franz V...png
AMA2!NG alright!
Black will do that when light hits the surface at the right angle...a 'throwback' you might say!
Even though l love the look, l'm staying with the 'purist' approach, and besides, the SS should be easy enough to live with, esp when we find out how to 'repair' the finish Franz talked about on 'Ride The Lightning'

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I've planned to do this from the start as well. What do you think you'll go with, matte or satin?
'Matte' black......but it's about the look you want! You'll have fun with this....maybe even do it yourself and save some coin!

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yikes! Not for me. Think it looks better natural or in lighter colors.
The bare stainless if not polished is a bit gray as well as white metal color, neither as hot as black nor showing as much dirt as either black or white; different but not as showy as warp nacelle blue (metallic cyan that looks like it's glowing, my favorite) or ticket bait like candy apple red or bright yellow. That's good enough for me. Easy to find in a parking lot, but not attracting more unwanted attention than an unusual vehicle already would. Wouldn't turn away all babes but not looking for them. And low maintenance!

And when it gets dirty (minimal off-roading, but no garage, nor avoiding normally messy roads), one wouldn't need to worry about super gentle cleaning; a power nozzle and a semi-stiff long-handled brush would be fine, thorough, and easy. No wax, no fancy cleaning agents. Dawn diluted would do the job with no residue when rinsed, which is the main thing one wants for stainless (or anodized titanium) to look good. Maybe a bit of rinsing agent that causes rinse water to sheet off, so as not to leave water spots.

I don't hate unwrapped stainless; kind of liked the looks of the DeLorean although its functionality was too low for me to be interested. The Cybertruck looks to me to be the most functional, durable, and probably very long lasting and low maintenance vehicle imaginable, esp. for someone not using it as a super-demanding work truck, but rather as versatile and capacious private transportation.

On my latest trip requiring a rental car (usually one a year for a couple of weeks), the standard range Model 3 was competitive, so I got that. Fun! Love the traffic-aware cruise control that keeps sensible distance with vehicle in front, sees stop signs/lights, stops, moves again when light turns green and vehicle in front is moving, etc. Takes all the annoyance away of using cruise control in city traffic, since it doesn't need to be constantly tweaked and much less often overridden. Would want more time to get comfortable with more advanced Autopilot features like staying in lane or changing lanes. Rental car does not have all features (no FSD), and I didn't need to drive on a freeway, so didn't try the features that work best or only there. But the vast control differences from conventional vehicles didn't bother me for more than minutes, esp. 2nd time out having skimmed the manual. In fact, back home in my 2018 Kia Sportage, it seemed for a moment of refamiliarization...not quite primitive (smaller center screen for nav if phone connected and for non-driving functions, good backup camera) but over-complicated.

So I know I'd likely enjoy driving a Cybertruck more than anything else (ok, half an hour in a Roadster once in awhile would be insane, but one can't really let loose except on a track, and I've never had reason to learn skills like the high banked curves; and 2x the price of a high-end Cybertruck for less practicality does not make sense to me). The low center of gravity (battery pack) of a spritely EV feels great, and I can only imagine how awesome 4 wheel steering would be in tight spaces with a rather large vehicle. Supercharger charging is great if convenient to location spending time in and along routes to locations going to. The only state in continental US not sensible is Alaska, and I wouldn't care to drive there anyway. Being retired, no time pressure, so sitting comfortably in vehicle for 1/2 hour or so every 2-4 hours of driving would probably be a plus on a longer trip anyway, esp. with bottled water and a sandwich packed; no great addition to charging time to run climate control, keep phone charged, and some audio or video or catch up on email and surfing or play a game or whatever while charging. And with a right leg that's sometimes uncomfortable, the adjustable height on the Cybertruck seems great too, figure out once what to set the default to when parked, and good to go for easy entry/exit.