Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Sounds like for you that’s all that’s needed. Here in Alaska, AWD is needed and my 200 mile commute in winter at -60F Says I need the extra batteries so... 3 motor was a no brainer for me. Also I’m going to actually use it as a truck! Camping/hauling etc...
Sponsored

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
Sounds like for you that’s all that’s needed. Here in Alaska, AWD is needed and my 200 mile commute in winter at -60F Says I need the extra batteries so... 3 motor was a no brainer for me. Also I’m going to actually use it as a truck! Camping/hauling etc...
Agree! If I had your commute and lived in Alaska tri-motor all the way.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
A conventional pickup truck with RWD is a piece of garbage up north when the snow falls. But CT will have much better weight distribution making it about as good as any other 2WD vehicle. I'm confident RWD would be totally fine.

Still, range is king. Tri-motor for me.
Folks are talking about not needing a tri-motor because they won't be towing anything. This is not really relevant, because the base CT will probably out tow any current pickup truck, so that's not even an issue

And I agree, get a tri-motor for the awesome range! You could charge that bad boy every week or two and still have plenty of range left. And if you had to bug out of town for any reason or go on a long trip, no problem. I live in a hurricane prone region, and evacuations happen. With the 500+ range on a tri-motor I'd sail past folks trying to gas up.

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
I live in hurricane alley too but our problem is most have to stay since we got no where to go. Thats the problem with South Florida it takes forever to leave the state and only one way out.

Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
Cost was a major factor in my wanting a single motor. The low cost, the size of the truck and the affordable entry port in getting into a Tesla for $40,000 was my impetus. Understanding that a single motor is trouble in snow and ice reminds me that most commercial vehicles are RWD as are vans which are prevalent. They operate in the snow and I have to remember that 30 to 40 years ago, there was snow and we got by with two wheel drive. That and if it’s really snowy, I’m not driving anyway. One final thing to consider that with most 4wd and AWD vehicles only two or even one wheel is delivering thrust.

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
I‘ve unfortunately been in Colorado Springs for all their early snow storms and let me tell you driving my rental Subaru awd did nothing for the ice that happened after the snowfall.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3. Honda Interceptor Suzuki Boulavard
Country flag
I live in the great white north (Ontario Canada) and have had a RWD Model 3 for almost 2 years now. Originally I wanted a AWD but settled for RWD when I found if I waited for AWD , I would not have qualified for the rebate here. I will tell you, the RWD system Tesla employ's works , my old Dodge RWD dually couldn't hold a candle to this car in the snow. The CT will have a better center of gravity and you can bet, the same if not a better traction control system as my model 3. After driving my 3 the first winter I have absolutely no regrets about not waiting for the AWD version . I am sure the RWD Cybertruck will be comparable to the experience of driving my RWD car in the winter. As far as the range anxiety goes, I have the 300 mile range battery and have driven this car from here to Disney (3000 mile round trip) without a lick of range anxiety thanks to the Supercharger network. I did order a RWD truck on the second day after the reveal. One thing tho, I do have access to charging at my home and plug in everyday. If you don't have easy access to easy daily charging I would suggest (hope) Tesla may allow us to configure RWD only trucks with the option of the bigger batteries from the multi-motor trucks. If you remember the truck reveal, Elon's mileage spec's were the minimums. I would bet that we will be able to option up the batteries
My 2 cents worth..

Randy.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I like to take into account, vehicle to grid, if Tesla designs for that, then I suspect the larger batter capacity will pay off. Multiply the number of power walls needed to get tri-motor battery capacity, Of course that is icing on the cake, I really want to go from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, and I don't want to worry about finding a charger.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
With the current economic outlook, its going to make more sense to buy a cheaper CT. Also the Canadian exchange rate is going to drive the cost of tri motor FSD over $100k! That’s a tough pill to swallow. I sincerely hope Tesla offers a long range 2WD option at lower price point.

or maybe Canada will wise up and give the liberals the boot, bring in a business friendly government, and Canada will get back to prosperity!

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I first ordered the dual motor model but changed it to the tri-motor after doing more research. The 500-mile range is a game-changer. I live in the Florida Keys and need enough range to get my family and utility trailer to the mainland in case of an evacuation. I estimate the 500-mile range will be cut in half pulling my trailer but that will still get me far enough. I also thought this truck was a joke when it was first reveled, but now I have fallen in love with this thing.
The 500+ range is indeed a game changer and is what convinved me to put a deposit down. I live in a hurricane prone region in Texas and the ability to evac on a single charge is desired. Though I think realistically a 250 mile range is probably fine, and resale of any model will likely be easy, especially if we have million mile batteries.

Actually I think that a single motor might be the easiest to resell because it will be resold at a lower price than a tri-motor, thereby increasing the potential pool of buyers. ?

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
With the current economic outlook, its going to make more sense to buy a cheaper CT. Also the Canadian exchange rate is going to drive the cost of tri motor FSD over $100k! That’s a tough pill to swallow. I sincerely hope Tesla offers a long range 2WD option at lower price point.

or maybe Canada will wise up and give the liberals the boot, bring in a business friendly government, and Canada will get back to prosperity!
I guess it is already greener on the other side of the border. I always think of giving the conservatives the boot so that we can have a greener country.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
So I have the dual on order but starting to think hard about the single motor. I live in South Florida so no weather issues that require awd and I won’t be towing ever. Is the 250 mileage plenty even for a road trip that wouldn’t be often? I’m starting to think so but still not totally convinced and I know there is a possibility of the ranges getting pushed higher which would help.
If you’ve got flat ground, no seasonal weather issues, single sounds cool to me ?? I’m in the PNW and need AWD on a truck for mountain passes and seasonal stuff. Even when it snows a little bit in-town, my little Leaf struggles up our steep, long driveway haha

Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I live in the great white north (Ontario Canada) and have had a RWD Model 3 for almost 2 years now. Originally I wanted a AWD but settled for RWD when I found if I waited for AWD , I would not have qualified for the rebate here. I will tell you, the RWD system Tesla employ's works , my old Dodge RWD dually couldn't hold a candle to this car in the snow. The CT will have a better center of gravity and you can bet, the same if not a better traction control system as my model 3. After driving my 3 the first winter I have absolutely no regrets about not waiting for the AWD version . I am sure the RWD Cybertruck will be comparable to the experience of driving my RWD car in the winter. As far as the range anxiety goes, I have the 300 mile range battery and have driven this car from here to Disney (3000 mile round trip) without a lick of range anxiety thanks to the Supercharger network. I did order a RWD truck on the second day after the reveal. One thing tho, I do have access to charging at my home and plug in everyday. If you don't have easy access to easy daily charging I would suggest (hope) Tesla may allow us to configure RWD only trucks with the option of the bigger batteries from the multi-motor trucks. If you remember the truck reveal, Elon's mileage spec's were the minimums. I would bet that we will be able to option up the batteries
My 2 cents worth..

Randy.
I also remember seeing those minimums on the range numbers for the models. I also think the base range will exceed those numbers or like you said we may be able to request a larger battery capacity.

I hope we find out on battery day coming up. Tesla will start building their own batteries and it appears they have acquired and developed technology to make the batteries more efficient, lighter, and faster recharging.

Of course all of this is speculation, but I think the Cybertruck will be the best bang for buck Teslas to roll off the assembly line. I’m excited to get behind the wheel of my DM AWD.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I also remember seeing those minimums on the range numbers for the models. I also think the base range will exceed those numbers...
Why would you think that? Those numbers represent Telsa's current estimates of the EPA rating numbers. They are probably conservative by 2 or 3 miles (e.g. I wouldn't be surprised in the Trimotor came in with an EPA number of 503 miles or something like that) but I certainly wouldn't expect more than that.
Sponsored