SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
If Elon sincere in is words and he's trying to change the world, he can't do that with a $100k priced truck.
If the #1 vehicles sold in the US are also the biggest polluters, that is the market he has to compete with to make any substantive change.

He's not going to sell 1M CTs if the price range is $55k - $150k and only the $100k+ versions get 500 miles of range (max). I believe range is still king in the EV market, especially the full size truck market and the EV infrastructure isn't built out enough to compensate for less range then what an ICE truck provides at lower up front cost.

To make real change, you go after big markets, not niche.
Tesla needs to build a 500+ mile CT, with AWD or 4 wheel drive capable, for under $70k to be competitive in the sweet spot of the ICE truck market.
Sponsored

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I don't think that will happen....bunch of people will bailout......this truck is not a toy for most...in fact they want a daily driver or work truck and they could buy 2 or 3 Ford Lightings for the price of the CT4.....
I just don't think the top of the line cybertruck will be less money than an entry level model x. It has more motors, twice the performance, more range, not to mention it's the hottest vehicle on the market with unprecedented demand. Tesla has a good track record of balancing insatiable demand with pricing that will match what they are able to produce. I think the result will be a price tag easily north of $130,000

EasternSP

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Might just price me out of my reservation.
I'm retired and I don't get a pay increase.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I think it'll price a lot of people out of their reservation. But with a million reservations already, I don't think they're worried about that. That already exceeds their production for many years. They'll price it to maximize profits and suppress the demand that they can't meet.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
If Elon sincere in is words and he's trying to change the world, he can't do that with a $100k priced truck.
If the #1 vehicles sold in the US are also the biggest polluters, that is the market he has to compete with to make any substantive change.

He's not going to sell 1M CTs if the price range is $55k - $150k and only the $100k+ versions get 500 miles of range (max). I believe range is still king in the EV market, especially the full size truck market and the EV infrastructure isn't built out enough to compensate for less range then what an ICE truck provides at lower up front cost.

To make real change, you go after big markets, not niche.
Tesla needs to build a 500+ mile CT, with AWD or 4 wheel drive capable, for under $70k to be competitive in the sweet spot of the ICE truck market.
I normally agree with this sentiment. But Musk has recently in either the earnings call or the investor meeting mentioned how everyone laughed at them for building evs 10 years ago, and now every major manufacturer has ev's. He said he's not threatened by them because that was his goal all along.. not to take over the market, but to push the industry in that direction, which they have started to achieve in the past year or two.

So that makes me question my belief in this sentiment that they are trying to take over the truck market. And maybe think that they are just happy and content with their pile of money off of other less rich peoples piles of money being handed over to them. As long as the whole market is shifting towards a majority of ev trucks, they've done their job.

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I normally agree with this sentiment. But Musk has recently in either the earnings call or the investor meeting mentioned how everyone laughed at them for building evs 10 years ago, and now every major manufacturer has ev's. He said he's not threatened by them because that was his goal all along.. not to take over the market, but to push the industry in that direction, which they have started to achieve in the past year or two.

So that makes me question my belief in this sentiment that they are trying to take over the truck market. And maybe think that they are just happy and content with their pile of money off of other less rich peoples piles of money being handed over to them. As long as the whole market is shifting towards a majority of ev trucks, they've done their job.
This makes sense exept they want to have 12 giga factories pumping 20M vehicles a year

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If tesla wants to cut down their million+ reservation list by a large margin, let them make $70k the price of CT entry.

The 80k+ trucks from every manufacturer is a niche market, not mass production. Those buyers are in the thousands, not in the hundreds of thousands or more.

Teslas planned CT volume cannot sustain 70k+ models only. Especially after the initial rush subsides.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I think what Crissa was implying is that.. in not outright saying prices will increase (he did only say that prices will be different because specs are different and inflation is different).. that one could assume the pricing will not necessarily increase because they may no longer have a dual motor CT to purchase. They may only have 1 model for purchase with after POS upgrade purchases available (battery and motors software limited for paid upgrades). For example.. they could just have a quad motor CT for sale with 1 battery pack size... 500 mile range. Then they could give you the option (as many have hoped and asked for) to choose between 250, 350, 500 mile range, and dual, quad motor at POS. So in this instance... listing a quad motor CT for 80K, or even 80K plus inflation makes little sense in relation to our understanding of previous models/prices.

So which previous model/pricing scheme do you base the new price off of in this hypothetical instance? I would assume it would fall somewhere in the median between all 3 for a unit sold with mid range options chosen... aka 60K+inflation 53K+inflation(edit: forgot what the original models pricing range was because its been so long with so many hypothetical numbers thrown out on here). Then they just would figure out a pricing scheme for the options.. aka how much for dual vs quad vs plaid paid after POS upgrade.. how much for 250 vs 350 vs 500 battery pack size paid after POS upgrade, and subtract or add those prices from the base unit price. This hypothetical instance does not relate in any way to the previously released specs and pricing schemes because there are way more variations in prices based on what the purchaser chooses for themselves at the POS and/or after they've had the vehicle for a while.

This to me would ascribe to Crissa's statement that he did not specifically state prices are going up.. because they logically don't relate 1:1.

And that hypothesis would also be in line with my suggestions since the quad motor was announced.

EDIT: and in that hypothesis where they have 1 variant with the mid range software limited options priced to the median of all the previously announced prices ($53,000) even adding in a decent amount of inflation to bring the price up to around $56,000 for the 1 CT variant with mid range software limited options chosen (quad motor 250 mi range or dual motor 500 mi range). It may even end up that depending on your options.. you might actually get what you always wanted, for less than what was originally listed.

I would not be offended by that difference from the original specs and prices. I also wouldn't see it as a betrayal on the reveal announcement as its a different way of selling the truck which itself is "built" differently in that it is more purchaser customizable which seems to be what people really want. Many on here say "I just need dual motor 500 mi range". That was not even possible in the reveal structure, and after 2 years of reservations and potential customers on sites like this clamoring for that type of customizability, maybe Tesla listened and realized that is a better path forward with so much demand for this vehicle.

So you can't expect the pricing to be exactly the same for that change in underlying specs and purchaser customizability of the vehicle. It also doesn't change their underlying costs cause each vehicle costs 1 price to make.. it makes it easier and more cost effective for them to project out their total overhead for years in advance.
This is highly unlikely. Tesla quit putting in lower lumbar support when not enough people were using it to save a couple of dollars per sale. It's not likely they'll put the 500 mile range battery in every vehicle and give away half the pack with each CT getting 250 mile range. Sure, maybe some acceleration would be hidden behind software but they won't toss in an extra two motors and double the battery capacity, the two most expensive parts of the vehicle...

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Elon frequently says the goal is to accelerate the transition and that every day the transition is advanced is important. Not just to prod legacy auto/truck to ship a small percent of EVs today and slow ramp to 50% EVs in 2035.

Elon is not sleeping t the factory, spending 6 days a week, 16 hours a day at the factory for his health or another billion dollars.

The big 3 legacy pickup truck OEMs trickling out a couple 100K EV trucks a year is not enough when the big three sell almost 3 million ICE trucks a year.

Of Tesla's 20 million a year goal for 2031/2032, 1 million could be Cybertrucks (full-size Cybertrucks & maybe Wolverine size too).

I expect Tesla will produce Cybertrucks in volume and price them to take significant share of the 3 million annual sales of pickup trucks.

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Elon frequently says the goal is to accelerate that transition and that everyday is important.
Not just to prod legacy auto/truck to ship a small percent of EVs today and slow ramp to 50% EVs in 2035.

The big 3 legacy pickup truck OEMs trickling out a couple 100K EV trucks a year is not enough when the big three sell almost 3 million ICE trucks a year.

Of Tesla's 20 million a year goal for 2031/2032, 1 million could be Cybertrucks (full-size Cybertrucks & maybe Wolverine size too).

I expect Tesla will produce Cybertrucks in volume and price them to take significant share of the 3 million annual sales of pickup trucks.
That is what i've believed for the last two years. 1 million a year would be quite the market share, but would also require more affordable trucks than $70-80k base that many are hypothesizing. There are many sub $50k truck models available which will prevent them from really selling a ton if the cheapest is $80k, and would delay shifting the whole truck market to majority ev at least for another 8 years, cause you know the rest aren't going to crank em out en masse for another decade.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just don't think the top of the line cybertruck will be less money than an entry level model x. It has more motors, twice the performance, more range, not to mention it's the hottest vehicle on the market with unprecedented demand. Tesla has a good track record of balancing insatiable demand with pricing that will match what they are able to produce. I think the result will be a price tag easily north of $130,000
but....a big but.......none have been made.....none have been priced and we have not seen the "new" design yet......boy, what a surprise if it is completely different than what most people expect........remember reveal night?......it was great.....but nothing but speculation and delays since...regardless of pandemic or inflation......that did not stop the design boys I'll bet
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.