Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Oh my! Struggle, do you? Life is such a big struggle without a frunk big enough to hold grocery bags, laptops and small tool bags because a huge truck has no room for such cargo. That's why the F-150 is such a terrible seller, no frunk. Of course now there is an EV F-150 with a large frunk. This F-150 Lightning with a big frunk will finally become a best seller because customers will have a place to transport their laptops and groceries.

There is too much BS here for me to fathom.
Dude youā€™re absolutely right. Thank you!!!
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Too much focus on the frunk IMHO. My wife and I both own a Tesla. A M3P and a MY.

I have only used the frunk in the last 5 years maybe only a couple of times..just to store a car cover, tire plugs and an air pump. My wife has never opened her frunk..

Iā€™m around 11k in line and will have better videos for you all ;)
But have you opened the trunk. The Frunk is the CTs trunk

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Some of you make me feel old at only 60 by expecting everything to be automatic, so the biggest muscle you have to exercise to open frunks and trunks is your tongue muscle. And this is on a vehicle in which weight is a real design consideration because it must accelerate, corner and brake. Lightness and simplicity help increase efficiency, reliability and affordability of an item that is already expensive relative to most peoples budgets.

I can only imagine all you "youngsters" who find it too inconvenient to open a trunk or frunk of their work truck with their hand, must have already upgraded their kitchens with power cabinets, power fridge and power oven, with voice commands, of course. Or maybe you just wave your toe back and forth under the cabinet or appliance you want to open. Because your hands are often full or wet/messy when preparing food. And the design considerations in a kitchen don't include minimizing weight, yet you think even a vehicle should have this added, as standard, despite the extra expense/complication/weight.

I feel like my kitchen is so inconvenient now that I've realized it should come with a power oven door and a fridge that I only need to say "Open sesame, you most awesome food chiller"! How much do these "must have" kitchen upgrades cost and where do I get them? Or, should I just stick with simplicity and come to terms that I might get a little tomato squeezings on my fridge door handle or have to open the oven manually, while holding the cooking tray in the other hand? This is before I consider how many times I have to open the kitchen cabinet doors with my hands full!

And I thought power can openers were an odd kitchen accessory when they started to become popular in the 1960's. I guess this same principle explains shoes that no longer require a manual and laborious shoelace tying procedure. Because shoe tying knots are hard. Next thing you know, a car will not be good enough without a power rear view mirror and a self-closing glovebox. Because who wants to do those inconvenient tasks using manual labor? What if my hands are busy texting? Oh, yeah, there's a solution for that.

Pretty soon, we won't need to get out of bed because the bed will send focused beams of high-frequency electrical energy to stimulate the muscles and provide effortless exercise while an IV drip provides all the necessary nutrients without food preperation, and a VR headset makes you think you are laboriously walking outside using your own muscles and opening your car door manually to get in and go to work. What a wonderful life we could have if we take this line of thinking to the limit! šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m with you. I really donā€™t need a smart home turning lights on for me when I can execute the horrendous task of flicking a light switch.

I find motorised boot openings annoying (at least if they donā€™t have some foot sensor) as they are slower than a manual opening, so if you have to hit some button anyway, whatā€™s the point. Plus it means more things to inevitably and eventually break, requiring expensive repair (especially for Tesla).

I much rather have light and simple components which are reliable and easy to fix.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Iā€™m a bit surprised about some of the forum members bitching about the small frunk space.

Remember that lot of reservation holders bitched about the concept truck not fitting into a standard 20ā€™ long American garage. Tesla answered your wishes by shortening the truck to under 19ā€™.

Cybertruck buyers also forget that Tesla uses a cab forward design. You can see in the concept vs. production photo below that the nose has gotten stubbier.

I could care less about the small frunk. It still has plenty of storage for my needs;

-Secure 6ā€™ truck bed (rolling tonneau cover)
-Sub-trunk storage in bed
-Frunk storage

I still plan on following through with my reservation because I absolutely love the exclusive Space X inspired stainless steel exterior of the pickup. No other pickup truck or ANY vehicle on the market offers this type of durability.

note stubbier front nose compared to the 2019 concept
4479FDC5-D1C1-467B-8B16-B9DF222510B9.jpeg
Having a stubby nose and placing the driver closer to it is better for offroad driving too. But I felt it prudent to point out these photos arenā€™t as good a comparison as you might think. The latter one doesnā€™t show the front lights at all, meaning the angle is such that they are hidden, meaning the nose looks stubbier than it actually is. The real difference is smaller than what this picture implies.

I agree that the whining about the ā€˜tinyā€™ drunk (bigger than any other Tesla) is really quite silly. Almost as silly as people whining about having a wiper.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Love the slow drip of extra information. We're on the on ramp to production!!
For me, a frunk on a pickup truck is merely a bonus space. I never fretted about the size of this area.

As a Floridian, my anticipated space usage in the CT is:
1) Groceries and other perishables: in the air-conditioned rear passenger compartment.

2) CT specific tools, tow straps, etc: in the rear sub trunk

3) Umbrella, maybe a car cover?: frunk

3) Everything else: in the massive lockable vault

The only vehicles in which I would be concerned about the volume of the frunk space are a rear engined sports cars like a C8 Corvette, Lamborghini, McLaren etc. This is because it is the main (and limited) storage area. Even then, that would be my last area of purchase consideration.

The frunk on my DeLorean looks fairly large but is shallow. The available space never factored into my decision to buy that car, at all.

I don't care about the available frunk space in the CT competitors, and a bigger area on those vehicles wouldn't sway me away from a decision to buy the CT.

My must haves for the CT: room for at least 4 passengers, utility (pickup bed), occasional towing.

Last edited:

RR2241TX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I had an ā€˜86 MR2 with a nice sized frunk and a trunk that was only slightly larger. All I ever used the frunk for was hiding wet running shoes from myself. With the Vault, my frunk will get the spare TP and a few small tools I currently carry beneath the rear seat of the Silverado. I would be ecstatic if the frunk was filled with a spare tire. Popping one of those tires in the back 40 and waiting for mobile service to bring another from over an hour away and two miles across two track at the ranch is going to make me wonder about the actual utility of CT off-road.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
You are welcome to wrestle with the tailgate and frunk if you want; for me I want to use my muscle for sport. I am surprised you arenā€™t arguing for walking everywhere, riding a bike, or for horse and buggy. Surely you draw the line somewhere :)
I have to say I am with Haulingass on this. Keep it simple and cheap and MASS produce it. Like the original VW bug.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I just went out to my truck to see how this sub vault would be. Itā€™s likely that youā€™re not going to reach perpendicularly to the tailgate as though you are standing in the middle of the truck. It would be odd and a lot of bending. You will probably stand next to the tailgate and reach in. Which is still a long reach. And I doubt a normal humans reach will allow you to open it and reach in with the tailgate up. In that case they should have put a latch on the left and right of the sub vault lid. Next and most importantly, people are lazy. The frunk is one lid to open. The sub vault is likely three.
The frunk exists. And if you run out of space you have the vault.

And if you don't want whatever youre putting gin the vault to roll around, you have the sub storage. The point is, you have options and if you really want to store stuff you can do it.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I have to say I am with Haulingass on this. Keep it simple and cheap and MASS produce it. Like the original VW bug.
I had a similar initial impression, when the Lightning came with power Frunk and tailgate

have to admit Iā€™ve come to appreciate them as much or more than power door locks, or power windows - and thatā€™s as a large and tall man

my wife appreciates them even more

many of yā€™all understandably forget that many of these powered functions are now borne of mass appeal to and usability for differently abled people dealing with large and tall vehicles.

trucks are now family vehicles (see eg crew cabs) as much as farm implements

if this hood is manual, some of you will have significant others or kids who will be unable to reach it or close it with much ease

Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! 8D372A9F-C024-4B7C-B694-647F40CBD158

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Iā€™m with you. I really donā€™t need a smart home turning lights on for me when I can execute the horrendous task of flicking a light switch.

I find motorised boot openings annoying (at least if they donā€™t have some foot sensor) as they are slower than a manual opening, so if you have to hit some button anyway, whatā€™s the point. Plus it means more things to inevitably and eventually break, requiring expensive repair (especially for Tesla).

I much rather have light and simple components which are reliable and easy to fix.
Woah woah woah. I'm on board manual frunk. But don't start with the lights. That's a technological marvel! Lol

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
Everyone watch the video again. The gap under the open hood is amazing..007 will be able to target the pop up SMG while getting bullet protection from the raised hood. OK now I want a remote opening hood for protection from bullets and low flying geese or chickens?

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Woah woah woah. I'm on board manual frunk. But don't start with the lights. That's a technological marvel! Lol
For clarity, I was talking about at home :)

Though Iā€™m perfectly happy flicking them on manually in a car too. Definitely not a deciding feature for me.
Sponsored