Power liftgate and power ramp? Yay or nay?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
:p

"Because it's badass and super cool." -Elon Musk from Jay Leno video

I think that as realistic and everyday workhorse as we all want the Cybertruck to be, it's also okay to dream about even more cool features. Not having to get off your CyberQuad to load it up is pretty badass and would blow people's minds even more beyond the truck itself.
It would be impressive and cool.
Sponsored

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
:p

"Because it's badass and super cool." -Elon Musk from Jay Leno video

I think that as realistic and everyday workhorse as we all want the Cybertruck to be, it's also okay to dream about even more cool features. Not having to get off your CyberQuad to load it up is pretty badass and would blow people's minds even more beyond the truck itself.
Especially if the truck is self driving and you drive up to it while it’s moving, maybe a speed limit of 50mph for this trick.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I understand the want to add all this cool stuff, but isnt the purpose of the CT to make it cheap, fast, and easy?
that being said I do think its a cool option, and since the age group of people who can afford a 70k$+ vehicle is pretty high, it makes sense

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
My initial thought was "nay" and I agree with the previous post about "cheap, fast, and easy", however it would be a super cool option on the CT worth paying extra for. I just wouldn't expect it to be standard.

So "yay" as an upgrade.

Silentjustice

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Absolutely should be available. All of the trucks now in the US are turning to luxury vehicles to compete. The CT should be no different. Also, if I recall the statistic correct, trucks are now the number one family vehicle in America. Even if the CT gets mainly used as a mall crawler you don’t want your 105 pound wife not able to lift the tailgate.

Genx65

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler; Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Healthcare
Country flag
That would be a great thing to have as standard on the tri-Motor and an option for the lower priced trims. The backside of the CT appears to be quite large and with a pullout ramp it has got to be fairly heavy. It appears even the guy on the quad during the reveal struggled with it a bit.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I hear and understand all of the reasons for the "nay"'s. But.... Wouldn't it be SUPER cool if as you pulled up to the CT on your Cyberquad and the tonneau cover opened, the tailgate lowered, the ramp extended while the suspension lowered in the back?
while the CT was moving?!!! "because that is supercool"

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
is the tailgate removable? I have only done it a few times with my truck but I think I had a good reason.

There is a lot of moment at the tailgate hinge but small winches and cables accessories for the CT could be nice. (aftermarket?)

if you had a mobility cart or two(for the disabled) a winch at the back of the vault could be helpful.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Cybertruck, 2013 P85 S
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I'm a yay as an option. Probably can't afford to add it but wondering how heavy and hard to use manually it might be.

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
I think dampening/springed is a given for the frunk. Possibly powered. The tail should be dampened imo at a minimum, powered as an option (maybe std on trimotor).

I hear the concerns of some with the gravel/dirt issues on the tail...one easy solution would be to make it so powerful it crushed those rocks ?. But not so great a solution if it’s your hand...maybe a sensor that feels resistance and stops/beeps so it can be cleared.

The “more to break” argument is a bit off imo...this vehicle will have virtually nothing on it you can fix yourself. We’ll be beholden to Tesla service - which will be interesting when it comes to vehicles used hard commercially. Not exactly a Tesla service station on every block. Mine will be used as an SUV replacement so no concerns about adding gizmos here.

Thought - one cool thing that I hope I live to see: when your CT needs servicing and self drive is perfected, you wake up and see your loaner CT is parked outside your front door, you press a button on your phone to complete the handoff, and your own CT drives off by itself to get serviced. You get into the loaner, and everything is set up exactly like your own.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Awhile back I saw that the 2019 Chevy Silverado had an optional power liftgate.

I thought it'd be a handy feature for Cybertruck so I tweeted Elon about it (spoiler: he didn't respond). As far as I could tell from the unveil video stream and Jay Leno video, the vault cover is automated, but the liftgate and ramp are manual.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were. Would a power liftgate and/or power ramp on the Cybertruck be a useful option? Should Tesla consider adding as an option or include standard on high end trims? Is it too cost prohibitive for little material usage gain? What do you think?
I think the ramp option would go un-used most of the time. I vote for the power Liftgate. Even more useful and valuable would be a pass-through window. I guess we ain't gonna get that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think the ramp option would go un-used most of the time. I vote for the power Liftgate. Even more useful and valuable would be a pass-through window. I guess we ain't gonna get that.
Some kind of pass through would be invaluable, as a safety mechanism if nothing else. Depending on the weight of the lift gate having it powered is a nice feature. It would be more important for me to have the hood powered. I hate having to open and close my Model 3/Y manually all time, and in a special way. In this day and age it is BS.

the ramp would go unused on any truck much of the time, but when it is needed it is essential. Having to store a ramp in the bed is ridiculous. I loved the idea of having it integral with the lift gate, though I could see it being structurally simpler/lighter without loss of functionality.
Sponsored